Australia Calling Re: British Enterprise

Clive Anthony Fisher
13th December 2006, 03:03
Can any one tell me if their was more then one BP tanker which used the name BP Enterprise during the 1960s beside the vessel which was built here in Australia in 1968.
Regards,
Clive.

John_F
13th December 2006, 10:05
Can any one tell me if their was more then one BP tanker which used the name BP Enterprise during the 1960s beside the vessel which was built here in Australia in 1968.
Regards,
Clive.
Clive,
Yes - there was. The British Merlin was completed by Harland & Wolff in May 1962 of 16,116 dwt. In 1965, she was renamed BP Enterprise & I believe transferred to BP Australia. In 1968 she returned to BP Tankers & assumed her original name again. She remained with BP until 1977 when she was sold to Luzon Stevedoring Corp., of the Philippines & renamed LSCO BASILAN. In 1980 she was again sold to PNOC Shipping & Transport Corp., of the Philippines & renamed PNOC BASILAN. On November 26th, 1983 she suffered an explosion & fire & sank off the West Coast of Luzon.
Have attached a photo of her as BP Enterprise courtesy of Harvey & Solly, BP Tankers: A Group Fleet History.
Kind regards,
John.

gdynia
13th December 2006, 10:28
Clive
BP also had the Gas Enterprise

Clive Anthony Fisher
13th December 2006, 10:51
John,

Whilst looking for an image of the Australian built BP Enterprise I came across an image of another BP vessel called the BP Enterprise which looked entirely different to the one I had been searching for and, of course, a lot older and I was scratching my head and couldn't work out what and where this vessel came from. So thanks for your details and I will post this image of the British Merlin in disguise tomorrow Sydney time and hopefully include your detail as comment.

Thanks again, regards and best wishes Clive

Thanks also to Nev too. We've got it sorted now.

John_F
13th December 2006, 14:45
Clive,
Alastair with his usual attention to detail may be able to give you some more information about her as well.
Kind regards,
John.

treeve
5th January 2007, 03:46
Hello .... I am putting together the ships my Uncle Basil worked on
Besides the Charlotte Cords ( Nikolajj Bauman ), there is just one ship
that I would very much like a photograph of that I can put online.

BRITISH ENTERPRISE
ON 181519
6095 gross tons motor tanker
built 1946 by Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd.--Sunderland [yd no 738]
for British Tanker Co. Ltd. London
1961 broken up on the Tyne by Clayton & Davie Ltd.

Please can anyone help?
Best Wishes, Raymond

John_F
5th January 2007, 13:59
Raymond,
Herewith a photo of the British Enterprise, courtesy of Norman Middlemiss: The British Tankers. Not the greatest of images I'm afraid but one that I'm sure your Uncle Basil will appreciate. Please remember to quote the source of the photo if it is going onl line.
Kind regards,
John F.

treeve
7th January 2007, 01:11
Hello John and thank you, I was going to ask if it was ok to place this image online, but you have already done it!! No, that really is fine, some of the Athel pictures are very rough, but it is ok - digital images weren't around then, neither were computers .... Uncle Basil moved to Australia some years ago, we all lost touch ... and then we heard about 10 years ago he had a heart attack and he has now left this mortal coil. And so, I want to make this a tribute to all the seamen who kept and are keeping this world going.
I am well through the pages .... I have very brief notes on the BP tankers.
Best Wishes, Raymond