Promotion in the RN

CEYLON220
15th December 2006, 21:59
Can anyone explain to me why the members of the royal family are given rapid promotion to 4 star admiral/general rate when the are no longer serving members of the forces ie: PRINCE CHARLES left the navy as a Lt and now he is an Admiral-----------at this rate I left the RN as CPOM(e) in 1976, does this mean that I can apply for promotion to Commander or Captain and for boy Edward why is he in uniform at all at functions ,he found that the RMs was too tough for him and got his daddy Philip to get him out. (Jester)

Gavin Gait
15th December 2006, 22:01
Its a Ceremonial rank only not a real rank. Only the monarch has a "real" rank as the the commander in chief of all the forces.

Must admit that getting a promotion to Admiral on ya Birthday by "mummsy" is a bit of a laugh tho lol.

Davie

CEYLON220
15th December 2006, 22:23
O K, I give in to that Davie now how about those medals they all wear,Phillip,Andrew, yes but Charlie what did he do to get his medals or are they on loan from mummy

Gavin Gait
15th December 2006, 22:41
They said today during the coverage of Prince Williams passing-out that the Royals all get the medals if they go into the services. Looks like any medal going gets pinned to them ( think only things like long service , campaign medals for any of the services they're associated with , definately NOT gallantry medals tho ).

Davie

CEYLON220
17th February 2007, 17:08
I see in the Navy News that both William and Harry have been given the rank of admirals,not bad seeing they have just come out of training and made 2nd Lt--I wonder if any of my family have connections to the Royals,maybe they could arrange promoting me from a humble ex CPO to an admirals rank with pay----this would subsidse my pittance of a senior citizens pension--- They can keep the medals!!!!!!!!!!

Brian Twyman
17th February 2007, 18:34
I guess it is because you can't have the guest of honour at a parade etc having to salute everyone else ? Or is it just the British way ?
Brian

benjidog
17th February 2007, 19:30
Hi Brian.

Oz got our surplus criminals - I don't think NZ should be left out.

Would you like our surplus Royals to even things up a bit? ;)

Brian

Brian Twyman
17th February 2007, 23:48
No thanks, but we will be taking the Rugby World Cup from you soon !

Brian

SeaStoryWriter
18th February 2007, 06:10
At least Charles can fly, so he's of some use, but there's nothing more useless than a junior officer; trust me, I know. 22 years and still going as an Army reservist (NCO). WILL

Keltic Star
18th February 2007, 07:17
I see in the Navy News that both William and Harry have been given the rank of admirals,not bad seeing they have just come out of training and made 2nd Lt--I wonder if any of my family have connections to the Royals,maybe they could arrange promoting me from a humble ex CPO to an admirals rank with pay----this would subsidse my pittance of a senior citizens pension--- They can keep the medals!!!!!!!!!!

Not bad considering they graduated from Sandhurst rather than Dartmouth, obviously the army didn't want them as Generals. Notice the First Sea Lord needs a billion more to build the aircraft carriers, perhaps he should demand it as a dowry from the royal toss pots.

slick
18th February 2007, 12:55
All,
A true story I am assured concerning one of our Royal Family (to wit The Duke of York Prince Andrew)
Prince Andrew was in the Wardroom of HMS Osprey late one evening after a course to do with flying.
The party was a little boisterous (as only Flight do's are) and when the Duty Officer called in, the Duke said "Good Evening, I am the Duke of York and you can call me Andrew".
The reply was "I am the Duty Commander and you can call me sir!".
Yours aye,
Slick

Tmac1720
18th February 2007, 13:15
Well if mummy owns the navy why can't her little boy play with all the nice boats and wear his shiny badges on his little sailor suit?(?HUH)

alexmackinnon
18th February 2007, 13:30
What medal does Prince Harry wear? The guy was only 5 minutes into his service time and he was wearing a medal.

Mad Landsman
18th February 2007, 19:50
What medal does Prince Harry wear? The guy was only 5 minutes into his service time and he was wearing a medal.

I think it may be his Granny's Golden Jubilee Medal - I got one as well!

mcgurggle
19th February 2007, 01:00
I got the famous MN Medal - VD & Scar !!!
(POP)
McG

alexmackinnon
19th February 2007, 01:04
I think it may be his Granny's Golden Jubilee Medal - I got one as well!

To qualify for the jubilee medal,you had to have been in service for five years at the time of her jubilee.

jbryce
5th March 2007, 22:06
At least Charles can fly, so he's of some use, but there's nothing more useless than a junior officer; trust me, I know. 22 years and still going as an Army reservist (NCO). WILL

Peter Pan could also fly but he didn't get paid a King's ransom (Jester)

cboots
6th March 2007, 02:36
I think you'll find it has to do with the HMS bit in front of the navy's boats, stands for Her/His Majesty's Ship. They are their boats you see, so they get to be whatever rank they like.
CBoots

Brian Twyman
6th March 2007, 02:51

There is : an NCO who badmouths about officers in public !
Brian

BarryM
17th June 2007, 19:48

Call me picky but wasn't it Charlie who ended up in a ditch while landing a plane in the Western Isles but it was his co-pilot who had to take the blame for Charlie's cock-up?

Barry M

sparkie2182
17th June 2007, 21:11
wow........ i thought i was alone in thinking thus.............

i believe most of the medals worn by royals are from ebay

BarryM
18th June 2007, 09:43
....or made by Edward with his colouring pencil set?

sparkie2182
20th June 2007, 16:47
u reckon he could do it properly?

BarryM
20th June 2007, 17:17
u reckon he could do it properly?

With help from his luvvie friends?

benjidog
20th June 2007, 23:49
Dearie me!

I am no royalist, but are we really still on about this after 6 months? The thread was started in December 2006. Personally I don't think they are worth that much attention.

Brian

nhp651
22nd June 2007, 21:43
Brian, the witch's cualdron doeth bubble slowly!

gil mayes
22nd June 2007, 23:17
Unbelievable that sensible people could spin this thread out for so long, bubble, bubble or turn up the heat and boil it off.
Gil.