possibly Northumberland's biggest coble??

grahamtowa
16th December 2006, 10:19
(Thumb) Hi, currently writing up the history of R. Dawson and Sons, boatbuilders of Seahouses. A few cobles are proving hard to trace info on. One of these was Burncrest, built for North Shields around 1968, forty one feet overall. That's all the info I have, can anyone add any more?
Others proving elusive are Elizabeth Taylor built in 1948, Margaret Alice built in 1949, Anne Noble built for Seaham in 1964, and Conquest built for Sunderland in 1971. I don't have reg. nos. for any of the above, sorry. Any help at all gratefully required.(Thumb)

grahamtowa
20th December 2006, 12:10
Have found abit more info on above, Elizabeth Taylor was built for the Taylors of Cullercoats and fitted with a Morris engine. Anne Noble was 34 ft oal and built for Alan Noble of Seaham, was also Morris powered. Margaret Alice was built for Dougie Drysdale of Holy Island but soon sold on. Can anyone fill in any more gaps? Am also looking for pics of these cobles.

John1959
21st January 2007, 12:51
http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/CKS/index.htm

grahamtowa
21st January 2007, 15:07
Thanks, John, but I am a member of CKS and have spoken with other members about these cobles without much luck! Have traced Ann Noble, and have found out that Margaret Alice was sold to Blyth, becoming Theodoran BH??. Still strugling for a pic of that one and Eliz. Taylor. Thanks for trying!

ABEE
22nd January 2007, 11:24
Burncrest was at Sunderland owners were Joe Owen and Pat Ventress, both dead now. She was sold to Hartlepool about 1978/9, not sure on that. She was, and I think I am correct, the largest coble ever built. Joe and Pat once towed a yacht which was off Whitburn Steel in one Sunday mornring in a full NNW gale, the Sunderland lifeboat lay dodging inside the piers until they got her in. Once the yacht was secured, they went back to sea to haul their pots out of the rock ends.. hard men, good fishermen. Perhaps not `ships nostalgia' but nostalgia for me anyway!

John1959
22nd January 2007, 12:20
Im an ex coble owner having the Royal DiademII which has been converted back to sail on the Tyne also and the Rose of Joyce in Blyth ex Douglasdale Seahouses ex Rose of Sharon from Amble. Sadly Im in to GRP boats now for my pleasure angling out of Blyth

grahamtowa
23rd January 2007, 20:08
Hi, ABEE, Burncrest was working as a charter boat for anglers in Wales a couple of years ago. No idea of whereabouts now...
Hi, John, I know the current owner of Royal Diadem, Peter. He's building up quite a collection of fishing vessels, including the Dawson built coble Golden Gleam.

John1959
24th January 2007, 06:56
Hi Graham, has peter left the Kelvin P4 diesel in her or has he gone totally sail
I bought her from Hector Handyside the Coble builder now retired from Amble

That man knows all his cobles, what a memory and a pleasure to talk to

grahamtowa
25th January 2007, 12:08
Not sure if the motors still in Royal Diadem, but do know he took engine out of Golden Gleam a couple of years ago and is sail only. Will ask him.

dogsbody
8th March 2007, 00:47
HI GRAHAM,
THE CONQUEST WAS SOLD IN THE EARLY 80s, WENT TO NORTH SHIELDS,
POSSIBLY DECOMMED NOW.
I THINK ANN NOBLE IS WORKING OUT OF SUNDERLAND, NOW NAMED TOILER,
OWNED BY THE MOLE BROTHERS,ALSO OWN WYNDWAYS-35ft AMBLE COBLE.
PS, BURNCREST IS THE BIGGEST COBLE IVE EVER BEEN ABOARD.
ALL THE BEST
PAUL.
EX OWNER OF TRUE VINE 30ft AMBLE COBLE,
FRUITFUL VINE 33ft AMBLE COBBLE.

coble
27th January 2008, 14:34
one latest cobles to got build at amble was chrisma bh 57

Darkie Nunn
4th June 2008, 07:55
Just a line to say it was nice to see a word about Pat & Joe....when ships were made of wood and men of iron certainly applied to these two gents.

Sister Eleff
4th June 2008, 15:44
Hi Darkie Nunn, I see you are new to the site, welcome from not so sunny Australia!

pdawson
4th June 2008, 18:28
there was a coble called the coquet star built at amble, this
was a big coble to be built at harrisons .

pier
5th June 2008, 08:14
yes the coble coquet star she now at seaham
she was painted yellow

pier
29th June 2008, 07:07
i see there 2 amble built cobles for sale now

dogsbody
24th July 2008, 00:51
hi graham,
here is a pic with the conquest in the wear,its not very good but its the only one i have.

cheers, paul.

mackem1946
2nd August 2008, 07:18
Yes , they don't make them like Joe and Pat anymore. I can remember them being barred off the Economic Bus Services, for fooling around when they used to take sacks of crabs back to Whitburn on the bus. Pat used to keep them in the bath.A few may remember when they were in the White Swan and he had a cormorant in a bag , which Pat let loose in the bar. good old days and silly times.

pier
14th August 2008, 07:21
info on seahouses coble boys own bk 106 has anyone photo of her when fished out seahouses

pier
12th September 2008, 07:21
the coble peggy ex glad tidings was my grandads coble when she fished from amble graham

ollymick
31st December 2011, 16:08
hi the elizabeth taylor was built for george/davy/and billy taylor.
davy lived in huddleston street cullercoats, george who was cox of
the cullercoats lifeboat lived in simpson street.and billy lived in
burnside road.davy was the last surviver and died in 1970.i worked on the elizabeth taylor with davy for 3 1/2 years fishing for lobsters until his death. the boat was 29ft had a coventry victor vixen engine.
2 cyclinder [swine to start] until bill stone replaced it with a ford 4d
in 1968.davy was a sound bloke [not many around today]
the boat was then sold to redcar for 300 i had offered 500 but his
sister lizzy did not want the boat in cullercoats anymore.
hope this helps regards olly

Bobby Allen
25th April 2012, 11:10
The Burncrest was broken up as the owner said she was too rotten to repair