Belle Rose

Fairfield
16th November 2004, 13:51
BELLE ROSE,I think was an SD15 a later development of the SD14.She was a common sight in Glasgow in 1976 on various charters and this was taken in the King George V Dock on a P&O charter.

tanker
16th November 2004, 14:54
Yes she was sister of BELLE ISLE and WESTLAND .
very similar to sd-14 liner type , built by Hellenic Shipyard: HELLENIC CHAMPION -CHALLENGER -IDEAL- NAVGATOR and GRIGORIOS C IV.

Fairfield
16th November 2004, 19:54
Thanks-remember WESTLAND.She used to come to Glasgow as well.

john2365
26th November 2004, 05:03
hope this works. trying to send a picture of WESTLAND.http://
and if lucky her sister WATERLAND
john2365

Fairfield
26th November 2004, 10:22
No problems as you can see! Thanks for showing them.

Dave Edge
25th May 2005, 03:35
"Belle Rose" was an SD14 but with additional cargo gear. Her owners, Mauritius Steam Navigation Company was formed in 1965 with the purchase of BI's "Landaura". BI had an interest in the company and, at least initially, their ships were manned by BI officers. As the North Korean "Jangdaesan" the "Belle Rose" was wrecked off Karachi in 1999.
Only one SD15 was ever built, the "Armadale" of Trinder Anderson.

Fairfield
25th May 2005, 13:12
Thanks Dave.Sorry to hear BELLE ROSE was wrecked.Remember ARMADALE.She came to Glasgow I/m sure but can/t remember taking a pic.

gingerbeer73
10th June 2007, 21:04
Hi,
I was on the Belle Rose 1/11/75 to 14/1/76 as 2nd Eng with a guy called Alan - a welshman who used to beat me at chess on a regular basis. He dragged me on to - fighting all the way - the Dwaka, his old ship, for some beers and a curry. Good day I recall.
I came from NZSCo - P&O
Those Mauritius guys were ok if a little crazy at times. I remember one of them getting into an argument with another and the worst insult he could think of at the time was " I'm going to shag your sister when I get home you black B******D. I personally was hard pushed to see the colour difference between them.
Cheers
Colin
PS I have some pictures but only social ones - Christmas - not of the ship.

non descript
10th June 2007, 21:45
"Belle Rose" was an SD14 but with additional cargo gear. Her owners, Mauritius Steam Navigation Company was formed in 1965 with the purchase of BI's "Landaura". BI had an interest in the company and, at least initially, their ships were manned by BI officers. As the North Korean "Jangdaesan" the "Belle Rose" was wrecked off Karachi in 1999.
Only one SD15 was ever built, the "Armadale" of Trinder Anderson.

Thanks for the update Dave, there is a bit about her here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=5098&page=2)

sam2182sw
12th June 2007, 20:54
The Bella Isle used to sail to Hull on P/O charter she had lost a load of her plug hatches over board in the north sea at some time and i was ask to fly out the Hamburg to take some sizes while she was loading and discharging there. this was done and i returned home to the shipyard i had and we had to have them finished when she arrived in Hull to load for the gulf. it was close to christmas and new year she did arrive and the work i had to do was done. what with the holidays comming up the cargo was slow to arrive and every one hed the chirstmas sprit in them so ti was going to be a long lay over for the ship and it crew .i palled up with the captain and his crew he was called captian eveand he was from MAURITIUS what a good chap he was to deal with over the christmas time my wife and myself entertained him and some at the local watering holes in Hull and thay did enjoy themselfs and thay did entertained back on board the ship what food thay served up. On the first of jannuary it was my daughter 18 birthday and we where having a big party for her at one of the night clubs in Hull and what with the crew being away from home and it been new year eve we invited them all to come and have a good time she the new year in and have a good time at the party. thay did this thay met all the family and friends . Captian eve told us what a goog time thay had had and to top of the party he made a presentiton to my daughter it was the MSSC house flag all folded in a box this was in 1978 she still has this flag in the same condition and she is now 47 years of age nice to meet nice people sam