Port Wellington

tom hanley
18th December 2006, 11:40
(Jester) Hi All, anybody out there that sailed on the old Port Wellington about 1961 1962, would like to hear from you,
Regards,
Tom H

Portred
20th December 2006, 04:08
Hi Tom!
Do you know about a site dedicated to Port Line ex-employees?

You will find it at http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/VintagePort/

This e-Group is a meeting point for all the members of "Vintage Port", who were at some time employed by The Port Line Limited, 88 Leadenhall Street, LONDON EC3

Access to this site is open to all past employees, no matter in what capacity or when they served.

Cheers!

tom hanley
20th December 2006, 10:44
Thanks for that Portred, I'll check it out.

wes
20th January 2007, 05:17
(Jester) Hi All, anybody out there that sailed on the old Port Wellington about 1961 1962, would like to hear from you,
Regards,
Tom H
Hi Tom
My name is Wes Smith .I am from Melbourne Australia .I was on the
Port Wellington from February 1961 till August 1962 .I bourded her
in melbourne & left her in Brisbane .I joined her as a junior & left as
a 5 engineer.
How I ever got to be accepted as an engineer in Port Line I will
never know. My background is as fitter & machinist in heavy engi
neering.I know nothing about marine life. I think iwas in the right
place at the right time.
To me it was a dream come true.Itwas an experience I will never
forget. I saw things i would never otherwise see. The pay was
lousy .It was hard being the only aussie on board .the engines
were big & very noisy & very dirty especially when you had to
go inside them.
It was made up many times over by the shore leave in the many
different ports of call.
Allthat is gone now by the container ships I would not like to do
the same job now.
I have been on the ferry to Tasmania a number of time & after
experiencing the "OLD" way of bringing a ship in to port & seeing
how it is done now with things like bow thrusters,we lived in
the years of the dinosaurs.The thing that amazes me is the ability
to turn on there own axis.I have seen it but I still cant believe it.
Getting back to old times .I do not believe we ever met.But that is
possible as we could have been in different parts of the ship

Wes Smith

tom hanley
24th January 2007, 00:00
Hi Wes,
I joined the Wellington in London about March '61 and did only two trips to Aussie and back with Port Line before moving on. Sorry I don't remember your name. We did have two Aussies on board, one from Sydney and the other from somewhere up near Cairns I think. I joined as junior 7th Eng.( how low can you get) Just got a bit sick of the "Bull" having to change into dress uniform for dinner relief. I was on the 8-12 and copped all the dinner reliefs. The Chief and Skipper wouldn't allow the officers to "fraternise" with the crew who were in the main, 'Jeordies'. Got hauled in front of the Chief Eng. for drinking with the crew ashore. Dobbed in by the 4th Eng. Great ship mate eh? I'm supprised our paths didn't cross, but good to hear from you anyway. I now live on the Gold Coast Qld. be good to hear from you again.
Regards Tom.

lesatkinson
27th February 2007, 03:52
Hi Tom, I was on the port w but left in may 1960, a great ship she was
all the best les atkinson

Coastie
27th February 2007, 04:35
Hi Lesatkinson and welcome to the site.

muirj
24th September 2009, 03:15
Hi Tom., Better late than ever. I was with Port Line from 1960 to 1964, Napier, Auckland, Victor, Sydney and finally the Port St Lawrence on the Manse run. Commenced as junior, finished as 5th before I went on the Aussi coast. I had a good mate on the Wellington 2nd Engr. by name of Mike Tilley, a pom who I spent many social hours with round 1961/62 so must ot met you. Lost track of him in the 80's. He used to live in Sutton Surrey. Do you remember him and Know where he is now? He was from Brocklebank? doing motor time for his chiefs ticket. Cheers Jim

ianian
24th September 2009, 07:15
Hi Tom., Better late than ever. I was with Port Line from 1960 to 1964, Napier, Auckland, Victor, Sydney and finally the Port St Lawrence on the Manse run. Commenced as junior, finished as 5th before I went on the Aussi coast. I had a good mate on the Wellington 2nd Engr. by name of Mike Tilley, a pom who I spent many social hours with round 1961/62 so must ot met you. Lost track of him in the 80's. He used to live in Sutton Surrey. Do you remember him and Know where he is now? He was from Brocklebank? doing motor time for his chiefs ticket. Cheers Jim

Must have met you as I relieved the 5th eng in New York in 1964 on the Port St Lawrence, albeit only briefly, there was a 4th eng on board who was Australian who stayed to go back to Aussie,but can't remember his name,but had freckles and reddy sandy hair how good is your memory? my name is Ian Shields (handle,Ianian) a photo of me in my profile.

Kind Regards

Ianian

Keith Park
16th May 2012, 14:14
Classic Ship Models is building a 20 inch model of the Port Wellington. See it at
www.classicshipmodels.co.uk