"Nobsku"

Paul Barford
19th December 2006, 13:19
Took this picture of the Nobsku in dry-dock at Boston Naval Yard last year.
I can't remember where she had come from and there was little information about her on site as I recall.
Anyone out there know her history and plans for her future?

JeffM
29th January 2007, 12:25
I have also posted a photo of the Nobska with a similar quest for more detail. Check my gallery and comments as Bruce kindly assisted with a website of the group involved with its restoration. JeffM

JeffM
30th January 2007, 22:43
I have also posted a photo of the Nobska with a similar quest for more detail. Check my gallery and comments as Bruce kindly assisted with a website of the group involved with its restoration. JeffM

Bruce Carson

That is the coastal steamboat 'Nobska' of 1925.
Truly a magnificent looking ship of her type, a picture of her in the water may be found here:

http://www.nobska.org/
The "Ships Log" section will give an extensive history of the ship.

Bruce C

For ease of reference I have attached the thread provided by Bruce to the Nobska website. You might want to change Nobsku to Nobska on your entry so that searches come up with the same name. A very interesting ship.

Norman Brouwer
5th April 2007, 17:51
I haven't been back to visually confirm this, but I understood she was broken up to clear the drydock. Money ran out and no work had been done for several years.

Bruce Carson
5th April 2007, 18:24
She was broken up last summer.

Absolutely incredible that she could not be saved.
You let them go one by one and suddenly there are no more to restore and preserve. It's over, a vital piece of a New England maritime heritage is gone and cannot be replaced.
A relatively small ship located in an area of the country rich in seafaring tradition, it would have been thought possible to save her as an operating museum.

Bruce C

Bruce Carson
5th April 2007, 20:32
I thought I'd upload a picture of her running as the 'Nantucket' sometime before WWII on the Nantucket Line (New Bedford, Woods Hole, Oak Bluffs and Nantucket) of the New England Steamship Company, subsidiaries of the New York New Haven & Hartford Railroad (The New Haven)
Built by the Bath Iron Works in 1925, 1,082GT, 202' x 35'.

Bruce C

JeffM
1st May 2007, 13:49
It is sad that the ship has now gone, but so too have all the efforts of the volunteers and the community ties that the local technical college set up when trying to preserve her. It is a pity that governments and philanthropists (and the wider community?) cannot see past the ship itself and value the networks with youth and the learning of "old" skills that preservation exercises establish. Maybe I too am a dreamer.