Andania

Fairfield
17th November 2004, 14:27
ANDANIA and her sister,ALAUNIA were built in 1960 by William Hamilton at Port Glasgow for Cunard/s US and Canadian cargo services.
This shot of ANDANIA by Michael Campbell was taken in Greenock in 1967 when containerisation was beginning to make it/s effect on cargo handling and you can see a container being loaded in conventional fashion.
both ships ended up under Chinese ownership and ANDANIA was believe scrapped in 1986 and ALAUNIA appeared in Lloyd/s until the 1990s I belive.

tanker
17th November 2004, 16:53
ANDANIA and ALAUNIA have the same life ,she changed name at the same time.
ANDANIA become MACHARDA- HUMI MAHIS- YUNGJIAN and at the end
HONG Q1 N 107.
ALAUNIA become MALANCHA-HUMI NASITA- YUNGMING and at the end
HONG Q1 N 108.

Fairfield
17th November 2004, 18:24
I/m sure I/ve seen a picture of one of them somewhere as Chinese.Can/t remember if I kept it or not!

Marcus Cardew
23rd November 2004, 18:50
I did my first trip as junior apprentice on the Alaunia in December 1966, and then, did a Rotterdam / Middlesboro' trip on the 'MACHARDA' in November 1970(Andania had been transferred to Brocklebank's). After a rather poor turbine survey, I think she sold to the Maldives (Maldive Explorer? or something)

Mike Tiernan
23rd June 2005, 03:44
Sailed as an Engineer on the Andania in 1964 transferred to the Lycia

Mike Tiernan
24th June 2005, 08:14
Andania and Alaunia, both chartered to Anchor line in the early 60s to ship Scotch Whiskey to the U.S.A East coast ports, even America's Cup Yacht entrants to the U.S in 1964. Water was hard to come by !!

Stuart.Henderson
5th January 2006, 23:51
Was on the Andania July 66 - July67 as EDH. Anchor Line charter,5 week round trips, London, Le Harve, Glasgow and various ports on East coast of US. Full cargo of whisky in open stow outward bound, some happy times

James MacDonald
19th March 2006, 13:29
I sailed 2 trips on the Andania in the winter North Atlantic Dec 66 to Feb 67
No one knew if it was New Year or New York as this was the days before containers.Lookout wing of the bridge (temp -20 ) & hand steering.Just as well wee had a wee dram to keep warm.

Stuart.Henderson
21st March 2006, 22:19
No one knew if it was New Year or New York as this was the days before containers.Lookout wing of the bridge (temp -20 ) & hand steering.Just as well wee had a wee dram to keep warm.

We must have been on her at the same time. J Byrne was bosun, D McGuire lamptrimmer, Donnie McDonald EDH are a few names that come to mind.

gwzm
30th March 2006, 16:41
Between April '65 and February '66 I did 3 trips on Alaunia and 1 on Andania as relief R/O (relieving Brian Farren and Frank Dunn who were the regular R/Os) with a 5 month trip on Mahseer in between. Masters were "Dai" Davies and "Captain" Bradley. I don't remember too many of the other officers' names - Jim Colquhoun (Ch.Off), Barry Gold (2/O).

Too right about water being in short supply. Bl$$dy cold in the winter, especially having to go up to the radar scanner pedestal on the front of the funnel to fix a fault. Grub wasn't as good as Brocklebank. Ventilation was a real problem at times in a following wind as funnel gasses got sucked into the air intakes on the rear edge of the funnel. Funny watching the stewards going ashore in New York in drag.

Happy days.

rainbow
3rd April 2006, 18:47
A pal of mine who 'paid off' for the last time (2yrs ago) was on the Alaunia in 1965/66.
Laurie Morris, he was on deck, EDH or AB I'm not sure, but a more genuine man you couldn't possibly meet.
Maybe some of you knew him.

Tony

DURANGO
3rd April 2006, 19:47
hello james how you doing mate i was on the ANDANIA same time joined her in vic dock 13 dec 66 it blew a hooolie all the way across to the states all the best mate i was a.b. on her was there a fella by the name of brian blower on her that trip you might remember me as the fella who built ships in bottles ,still at it be lucky mate

Tony Selman
4th April 2006, 18:31
gwzm, it seems quite likely I may have taken over from you even if we did not actually meet. I joined Alaunia in March 1966 and left in July 1966 and then got shanghaied to do a Christmas trip in 1967 when Arthur Orum called me in the morning, I joined in the afternoon and we sailed on the evening tide.

I agree with your comments. The food was not as good as Brock's but I much preferrred Alaunia to Samaria which I did a couple of trips on. Was the R/O's steward called Rosie when you were there? Rosie was ex Queen Mary and distinctly unhappy to be slumming it with the likes of me pounding across the pond on a 7,000 tonner. Rosie dragged me out of my bunk one night and took me down to a stewards party with resident New Yorker's of the same ilk - one of the most frightening nights of my life! I had forgotten about the funnel fumes but you are spot on, quite often unhealthily fumed up in the R/O's cabin. I think the 2/O you refer to is Barry Goldborough or perhaps Goldsborough who came from London. The 3/O was called Colin and came from Hull when I was on there. The C/O was a really nice bloke but I can't remember his name, I'm afraid I don't remember anyone else. I know I have got a couple of photos of Alaunia somewhere and will dig them out soon.

Tony Selman
4th April 2006, 19:05
This was one of the photo's I was looking for if only to show that we did some work sometimes! Bit of nostalgia for some of us ancient R/O's there with a selection of Marconi supplied kit. This was taken in July 1966 on the homeward leg from New York. We actually arrived in Liverpool at midnight on the Friday night before England won the World Cup the following day. Some concern whether we would miss it but we berthed on the Saturday morning.

Cunarder
5th April 2006, 22:40
Geez that's a good pic, Tony. Oceanspan transmitter plus Atlanta receivers. Anybody know how to wind the clock back 40 years????

Alan Marsden

Ron Stringer
6th April 2006, 11:05
Not Atalantas but the predecessors of the Atalanta, the Mercury/Electra combination - one LF/MF only, the other MF/HF. Don't forget that masterpiece of reception the Alert. Good for picking up ships in the next berth and the local coast station.

Ron

Tony Selman
6th April 2006, 11:07
Yes it is nostalgic isn't Alan. Sobering to realise what we looked like 40 years ago as well!

I notice you were on Mahsud and there is another photo (under the Brock's thread) of GYMT's radio room as well. The common theme is me with headphones on and notionally working. I think these were taken in an attempt to convince a sceptical audience of my workload!

Tony Selman
6th April 2006, 11:11
Ron, you are quite correct it is the Mercury/Electra combination. You are also quite correct in what a piece of junk the Alert was. I had forgotten that to be honest and it is a bit like the "how good was the lifeboat transmitter" thread somewhere else on the board. Not much good beyond the horizon is the answer.

gwzm
6th April 2006, 16:23
Hi Tony,

According to my discharge book, I paid off the Alaunia on 1st February 1966 so it's more than likely that you followed on from me. I don't remember if it was Rosie or Bunny who was the R/Os steward when I was on the Alaunia. The one I certainly remember was quite tall with dark hair. If I was having a meal on watch then "she" would bring it up to the radio room on a proper saloon tray with tray cloth, silver cutlery and so on. "She" used to be dressed in tight black trousers, polo necked top, and wearing lipstick and mascara - positively simpered when you offered a compliment on "her" appearance.
Not the same with a Glaswegian steward I had on one trip on Alaunia or Andania (don't remember which now). He usually had a three day growth of beard and meals on watch were delivered on a tin tray with mess room cutlery and usually accompanied by a gruff" I took a couple of your beers, OK Mac?"
Like you, I also got invited to a couple parties in New York where our stewards got together with stewards and hairdressers from one of the Queens which usually berthed on pier 92 (I think) - interesting to say the least!
Historical aside: We berthed on pier 54 in New York, which is where Lusitania sailed from on her fateful voyage.
The radio gear on the Alaunia and Andania was hardly state-of-the-art but I always found that it was perfectly adequate for what had to be done and, more importantly, it was reliable. Not like those heap-of-junk Redifon R50M receivers that we had on some ships.
Looking back, I'm astonished how young we all were to be doing what we did. Happy times indeed.
Take a look in my gallery for some other photos.
= salaams es bv = john + va

Tony Selman
6th April 2006, 19:41
John, I have just dug my discharge book out and I think there must have been one voyage after you left and I joined. I have a very vague recollection that I took over from Brian Farren.

Rosie was not tall, much more short and dumpy. "She" was the first gay steward I sailed with and I remember being quite taken aback the first time she came to my cabin wearing make up, lipstick and mascara. She did look after me very well though.

I liked Alaunia much more than the all aft Cunard cargo ships and she was quite a decent sea ship as well considering what we had to put up with on the North Atlantic. I was much happier at the Red Sea Tiger end of the scale than I was on the North Atlantic although I must admit to having some great times in NYC.

Just off to check out your gallery now.

Burra Salaams

gwzm
6th April 2006, 20:40
Hi Tony,
It's very likely that you took over from Brian Farren then. At the time Alaunia and Andania were the only two Cunard cargo ships to have Brocklebank R/Os. Brian was the Alaunia's regular R/O and Frank Dunn was on Andania. I recently met up with Frank Dunn and it turns out that he lives in an adjacent village to me. I don't know what became of Brian but Frank stayed at sea for a while after the demise of R/Os and retired ashore.
I only sailed on Alaunia/Andania and have recollections of some very rough crossings, including one where we were hove-to for several days in the teeth of a North Atlantic storm but, fortunately, no damage and I certainly never felt concerned about our safety.
I seem to recall that the K-H radars on the Scythia and Samaria were particularly troublesome in heavy weather. The combination of violent ship's motion and vibration led to chewed up gears in the scanner gearboxes and loss of radar - not funny when you haven't had a sight for a few days and trying to find the Ambrose LV to get a fix.
All the best,
John

Tony Selman
6th April 2006, 21:31
John, yes that sounds about right. If you contact Frank Dunn please give him my salaams. I knew him but equally relevantly Brock's sent me and 2 others to Greenock to get my radar ticket and Frank's parents owned a pub called Gordon's Bar ( I am almost certain) and this became our watering hole for 3 months. Unfortunately but not surprisingly we spent too much time in there and only 2 weeks before the exam did I/We suddenly realise that some serious cramming was necessary to save an embarassing failure. I passed but it can't have been by much. Frank's younger brother was studying to go to sea and I remember helping him (??) with some of his PMG work.

After checking your gallery I now realise that we have met somewhere. I have the vaguest memory of taking over from you, unless it was on a p/u out east somewhere.

Attached photos of some battery maintenance in New York and carrying two of Kim Novak's horses out to New York in March 1964. We hove to that trip as well because the OM was concerned for the horse's welfare. I can't remember the 2/O's name though.

I have posted elsewhere of a horror trip on Samaria including taking 2 days to fixed a knackered scanner motor with seized bolts, stripped gears etc in NYC. They rattled like hell those ships and this and rough weather shook everything to bits.

They were still great days though.

gwzm
11th April 2006, 19:11
Hi Tony,
I had a QSO with Frank Dunn today on the landline and he said that he remembers you and asked me to pass on his salaams. I'm hoping to have an eyeball QSO soon with Frank and I'm sure there will be much swinging of the lamp!
= salaams es BV = John + VA

Cunarder
14th April 2006, 07:17
GWZM - when u QSO with Frank Dunne also please give him my salaams. Frank was CRO on Cunard Countess whilst I was opposite him on the Cunard Princess. I met him here in Sydney once after I had left and emigrated to Oz.

Tks - Alan Marsden

gwzm
14th April 2006, 13:52
Hi Alan,

Roger that. I should see Frank next week and will pass on your salaams. I've told Frank about this website but he has some computer problems to sort out.

= salaams es bv = john + va

DURANGO
14th April 2006, 20:30
we took 16 days to get to new york on the sythia in jan 65 those ships could roll if memory serves great days though

Tony Selman
20th April 2006, 12:19
16 days to get to NY doesn't sound like great days to me Durango! I think the longest crossing I had was 10 or 11 days but I can't remember which ship it was, Samaria I think. This was 3 or 4 days longer than the usual 7 so it did make the schedule a bit tight. The all aft ships weren't really robust enough to take on the Atlantic at 17/18 knots in my opinion. They rolled like hell and rattled something rotten, Alaunia was a much better sea ship so Andania must have been too. I enjoyed the ports at either end but getting tossed around like a cork was never my favourite pastime at sea - a soft Sparks I suppose.

captainchris
12th November 2006, 09:32
I did my first trip to sea on Andania, November 1963, as Deck Boy. Captain Bradley, Chief Officer Bell. The Bosun was McCarthy, who left to work on Pier 52 New York as foreman stevedore, and was replaced by the then lampy Jimmy Byrne, new lampy was a big guy Joe something who spent a long time on Mauritannia. I enjoyed the 6 week round trips. I remember one trip we carried the America Cup yachts across with some of their crew so that they could do maintenance on the trip. We had to assist them moving lashings but as they were classed as passengers we were told we couldn't talk to them, which made it a bit difficult to find out what they wanted us to do. The Christmas trip from Glasgow, Yorkhill Quay in 1963 was an interesting experience as the cargo security were on strike, so we were relegated to making sure the dockers didn't broach the crates of whisky. As a just turned 16 year old, more fat on a chip type, there was no way to report a 9ft 20 stone Glaswegian docker!! At the end of the working day I recall several of the dockers had to be craned out of the hold and taken to hospital and pumped out. Great days

Marcus Cardew
21st November 2006, 21:29
Hi Tony,
I had a QSO with Frank Dunn today on the landline and he said that he remembers you and asked me to pass on his salaams. I'm hoping to have an eyeball QSO soon with Frank and I'm sure there will be much swinging of the lamp!
= salaams es BV = John + VA

Next Time you QSO Frank, Please send him all best salaams from Marcus & Solveig! (He was at our Wedding in '71, but last seen on the Countess in St. Georges, Grenada, 24 years ago....

Bearsie
21st November 2006, 22:29
And of course the Andania lives on in the shipping game Ports of Call :)