Benstac

Alistair Spence
20th December 2006, 21:09
My first real trip was on the Stac, chartered to Barber line where we spent four months in the gulf before i was sent home via Iran. Never had a camera in those days, so does anyone have a photo of her with the Barber funnel livery?

Roddy Munro
21st December 2006, 17:49
Alistair go to www.merchant-navy.net/ships page down to Bens and you'll find a couple of pics of Benstac.one coloured,one b/w.
Roddy Munro.

Alistair Spence
23rd December 2006, 15:57
Thanks Roddy, i found those, but I'm a fussy bugger looking for the striped funnel. The colours I think were black and orange, I should remember, I was one of the gang who painted it !

benjidog
23rd December 2006, 17:22
Welcome to the site Alistair.

I am sure you will enjoy it.

We welcome your contributions.

Regards,

Brian

roymuir
24th December 2006, 04:46
G'day Alistair,
I joined her in New York 13/1/1977, discharged up the Gulf, then drydocked in Hong Kong where we painted out the Barber Line funnel. Pretty sure that was about April.
Regards, Roy.

Alistair Spence
24th December 2006, 22:19
Thanks Roy, it was late 1974 when I joined her, also in New York. We spent a month coasting before departing from Charlestown for Dubai, a place that bore no resemblance to the present Dubai. I still laugh when I think of all those Cadillacs getting parked up in the desert. Do you happen to have a photo of her in her Barber Line colours ?

Danny S
18th March 2007, 00:06
Alistair, I have a couple of poor quality prints of the Ben Stac (with the Barber funnel) taken in Singapore. I joined the ship as deck cadet in late 1973. I will see if I can get the photos scanned.

Danny

Jusmasel
5th June 2012, 23:37
Hi

In 1982 Ben Stac was sold and renamed John P. It sank off the Brazil coast in 1985 after a crankcase explosion.

23 years later and someone on the rescue ship posts a collection of photos and narrative of the sinking on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhHi_Ga7fUk

I have no idea why I looked for it but interesting all the same. Shame though, the Stac was my favourite ship. Best trip was LA to New York through the panama canal twice in the same direction!

Cheers, Tim

WildBill
2nd July 2012, 08:55
Difficult to imagine what kind of crankcase explosion led to the total loss of the ship. If I remember correctly, the 'Stac had a Sulzer 6-RD-90 main engine.