Clymene (II) - 1979 -1986

non descript
20th December 2006, 21:28
The second ship of Hadley Shipping to bear the name Clymene was a box hold cargo ship, adapted for the carriage of newsprint. She was built in 1976 at Rostock for the Norwegian owners Lars Rej Johansen (yard number 479), an ice-strengthened bulk carrier and christened JOCARE. She was sold to CNM of Martinque and renamed OYAPOK in 1977, then sold to Delmas in 1978 and re-named BARBIZON. In 1979 purchased by Hadley Shipping, re-named CLYMENE and adapted to carry newsprint, then sold to Italians in 1986, re-named Chris. - She carried on her chequered career of being sold on at regular intervals: being sold to Blue Atlantic of Bahamas in 1988 and re-named B.A. Chris, then in 1990 sold to Tembo Shipping and re-named Alba. In 1993 sold again, this time to Sun Glory of Hong Kong and re-named Sun Glory

Thamsphil has added a very good image here: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/39278/si/clymene/what/allfields/mcats/510

and likewise another excellent image from B.Bass here: http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/27082/si/clymene/what/allfields/mcats/510

B.Bass
23rd December 2006, 05:57
Her last years of service under Hadleys was on the North East Coast coal trade under charter to CEGB

non descript
23rd December 2006, 11:20
Brian,
It is possible that you are referring to Cymbeline the ex Dalewood; she was under charter to CEGB along with her sister-ship, Oswestry Grange the ex Chelwood.

B.Bass
24th December 2006, 06:06
Tonga,I was on the "Cymbeline" but transferred to "Clymene" when the former was sold and took her on the North East Coast until 1986 when she was laid up on the Tyne prior to being sold and I was unfortunately made redundant.

non descript
24th December 2006, 09:57
Thanks Brian and I apologise for the confusion. - Looking at the image you kindly posted it looks like she has CEGB Funnel markings and not the HSC diamond.
Kind regards
Mark

B.Bass
25th December 2006, 04:47
The pic was taken just before she went on the CEGB charter because before going on the coal run all her cargo gear was stripped down and stored at Redheads shipyard on the Tyne.She was refitted before being sold.

non descript
26th December 2006, 02:13
Thanks Brian, that explains it. Much appreciated. (Thumb)

Kind regards
Mark

saltyswamp
26th July 2007, 23:51
Thanks Brian and I apologise for the confusion. - Looking at the image you kindly posted it looks like she has CEGB Funnel markings and not the HSC diamond.
Kind regards
Mark

The Funnel markings were of the charterer's Consolidated Bathhurst when she was on the paper run photos to be posted
stuart(Pint)

B.Bass
19th January 2008, 06:06
It was strange that both my first & last ships in the Hadleys fleet were named "Clymene".Number one was the tanker "Clymene" and the last of course this one.This spanned a period of 12 years,with service on other Houlder & Hadley ships in between.

non descript
20th January 2008, 00:35
The Funnel markings were of the charterer's Consolidated Bathhurst when she was on the paper run photos to be posted
stuart(Pint)

Thanks Stuart (Thumb)

In the meantime, as a passing comment for Brian, HSC are now up to Clymene (IV) - she is a Panamax bulker built at Jiangnan in 2006, which they bought ex-yard.

B.Bass
20th January 2008, 05:30
Thanks for that Tonga,it's nice to know their still going as so many companys seem to have diappeared over time.

kdgiles
25th January 2008, 15:30
I vaguely remember coming across the Clymene while I was on the Upwey, probably November '79. We had just left the Great Lakes where we had been picking up grain and we ran across the Clymene which had picked up newsprint somewhere in Canada. Could this ring any bells with you, Brian?

Cheers, Kevin Giles

saltyswamp
26th January 2008, 20:56
I vaguely remember coming across the Clymene while I was on the Upwey, probably November '79. We had just left the Great Lakes where we had been picking up grain and we ran across the Clymene which had picked up newsprint somewhere in Canada. Could this ring any bells with you, Brian?

Cheers, Kevin Giles

Hi kev I left clymene begining nov 79 she used to go to Port Alfred to load newsprint then discharge either Purfleet or Deptford never met the Upwey
so it must have been later after I'd payed off
regards
stuart

B.Bass
27th January 2008, 05:41
Hi Kev,didn't join "Clymene" until she went on the CEGB charter around 1984