Breakers yard in Bangledesh

lex
21st December 2006, 10:47
Found this on CBS ,interesting but a little sad for all parties involved ,go to main page and click on it......

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2154127

skymaster
21st December 2006, 15:27
Very sad story both for the ships and the unfortunate men who break them up by hand.I spent many trips calling on Chittagong in the late 1950's it was quite different then.

Mike

hawkey01
23rd December 2006, 13:30
Lex,
have just watched the video. Very emotive in all respects. I highly recommend
others to watch it.
Regards
Hawkey01

claudiocambon
23rd December 2006, 16:12
If anyone is interested, please feel free to contact me at XXX (claudio@claudiocambon.com) if you want info on the yards, as I have spent a lot of time there photographing. It's a fascinating, albeit difficult place.

My site has a big portfolio of images from mostly my first visit there. I went with an American flag tanker on her last trip from Baton Rouge to Chittagong (40 days, non stop!), and spent 5 months watching the demolition and recycling. I also returned twice to follow the materials more into people's daily lives there, and see where the migrant workers come from.

The 60 Minutes report was fair, I thought. It is hard in such a short timeframe to explain what is so difficult about the industry without falling into the easy pitfalls of horror and dismay at all the pollution, danger and hardship one sees, especially because of the media's sensationalist impulses. Yes, obviously the industry needs reform, but unless there is international cooperation, it will merely squeeze somewhere else, and happen all over again just as it does today.

At any rate, happy holidays to everyone!

Claudio Cambon

hawkey01
23rd December 2006, 19:34
Claudio,
excellent photos. Thanks for giving us your web address. It must have been a very interesting experience. Amazing how such huge weights are just manhandled. As you say we will not begin the pros and cons of this work. We must just consider that many thousands have work because of it and can eat.
Regards
Hawkey01

bob johnston
24th December 2006, 03:01
Found this on CBS ,interesting but a little sad for all parties involved ,go to main page and click on it......

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=2154127

Very sad to see what happens to ships that arrive on this beach. It was a very interesting video a terrible thought all the pollution on these beaches. It is amazing what people will do for money and at what cost to the environment and human life!

Bob (Sydney)

Coastie
24th December 2006, 04:09
I can't open the link for some reason. The page comes up and it says "buffering" but won't play.

billyboy
24th December 2006, 04:33
I got a similar problem here Chris. all i get is a TV advert. maybe because i have a very slow dial up connection

hawkey01
24th December 2006, 12:18
Coastie/Billyboy,

you will need to have either Real player or Windows media player on your PC. Also I think if you dont have broadband it could be a bit of a problem.
Regards
Hawkey01

Semaj
25th December 2006, 16:00
Very interesting does jangle a few emotions and well worth a watch.

Jim.

bobby388
11th January 2007, 00:46
Very intresting well done would anyone know how to get "Shibreakers"made by NFBC they got a lot of awards for it???
Bobby

raybnz
11th January 2007, 07:57
Well worth viewing and very interesting..

Nairda59
11th January 2007, 12:42
What a sad and thought provoking story

cockerhoop
11th January 2007, 13:22
can anyone let me know where i can get a picture when Sydney (ex Odessa/Copenhagen) arrives at Bangladesh, or if there are any of her in Suez last week
thanks

PollY Anna
11th January 2007, 19:39
Sad very sad and how much for a pair of goggles for the guys cutting with the welding equipment they must lose their sight by the time they are 30

Bob McColl
20th March 2007, 02:39
Great video. I had the same problem with no buffering but I left it for about a minute and it came on. The accident rate must be very high , as there are no safety hats, safety footware or eyeglasses. I'm not a union man but have to admit if any place needs a union its there.

Amanita
3rd June 2007, 22:15
How heartbreaking..As a ship lover, a Pagan*, a construction worker, and a worker's rights advocate, I am sickened. Not a single hardhat, pair of safety boots, or welder's mask for those poor men. Nothing. And those children working there. Of course, in many countries, it is normal for children to work- it's either a family farm, or making more money in a factory or shipbreaking yard. But there's no excuse for the lousy pay and nonexistant safety equipment.
How sad and awful.

*Many Pagans include respect for the environment as part of their beliefs- myself included.