3 Ben boats in Hong Kong

EBenarty
21st December 2006, 19:21
I was on the Cruachan some sore heads for a few days !!

EBenarty
21st December 2006, 23:45
Does anyone know the 3 Bens ??

ruud
22nd December 2006, 04:35
Ahoy,
The BENGLOE 1961 + BENCRUACHAN 1968,as for the one at the back of the BENCRUACHAN, need some help from the "experts.

R651400
22nd December 2006, 06:30
The number of letters indicate perhaps one of the V's....
Vrackie, Vorlich or Vannoch.

Eltel
22nd December 2006, 11:39
3 for'd hatches and looks like one abaft the bridge? I'd go for the 'Vrackie.

EBenarty
22nd December 2006, 12:50
You got the V correct - It was the Valla

wully farquhar
22nd December 2006, 13:27
Ho Ho Billy that woud have been some shin-dig,who all was in the old man's cabin after that visit.!!!,Don't think it is the Valla Billy,the Valla was the same build as the Gloe,more like the Lomond class.

Paul Barford
22nd December 2006, 15:57
Sorry Wullie,
It is the 'Valla (I) this photo appears in Michael Strachan's book of the Ben Line 1825~1982 "An Anecdotal History"
(Thumb) Merry Christmas All

Tom S
22nd December 2006, 17:12
Its the Benvrackie she was the first of that class and she was distinctive in that on the Passenger Deck in the accomodation the walkway is open where on the Doran and the Lomond it is enclosed The Valla was similar to the Gloe
I sailed on the Bendoran and Benlomond
Tom

Tom S
22nd December 2006, 17:27
If you compare the pictures of the three vessels on the following website you will see what I mean
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5106http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5106http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=5106
Tom

roymuir
22nd December 2006, 21:00
You will actually find she is the "'vrackie".
Micheal Stachans book was wrongly captioned, one thing I noticed when I got it.
Regards, Roy.

EBenarty
22nd December 2006, 22:27
I cannot remanber myself !!! Looking at the funnel it could be the Vrackie !!! I remember Roddy MacSwegan the Bosun doing a highland fling onthe sampson post to the music from the Chippy on the bagpipes

EBenarty
22nd December 2006, 22:31
It was the Vrackie as I joined her a year later and wee Rod was the Chippy!!!

EBenarty
22nd December 2006, 22:36
You will actually find she is the "'vrackie".
Micheal Stachans book was wrongly captioned, one thing I noticed when I got it.
Regards, Roy.

I agree with you - there is a lot of things captiond wrongly in Micheal Strachans book!!!

EBenarty
22nd December 2006, 23:02
Ho Ho Billy that woud have been some shin-dig,who all was in the old man's cabin after that visit.!!!,Don't think it is the Valla Billy,the Valla was the same build as the Gloe,more like the Lomond class.

I think every AB and fireman was up LOL !!!!! If I remsmber correctly we were given a few beers for beating the Gloe in a football match !! No Loggings !! After all it was Capt. Ken Hardie. He stood by his crew but you dare not cross him!!!!

Paul Barford
23rd December 2006, 13:13
Have to agree, it is the 'Vrackie, on closer inspection of the photo, the name is seen clearly. You can also make out the two cranes on the aft accomodation block,my cabin was underneath and at times only way to sleep was with a few Tennants help!
Sailed on her and the 'Lomond

creeler
26th December 2006, 15:35
billy,was it wee rod knowles that was the chippy ?

EBenarty
26th December 2006, 16:11
Aye it was Rod Knowles the Chippy. The last time I met him was in Aberdeen - he had set up a business making pallets for the oil industry and doing well !!

creeler
26th December 2006, 19:31
thanks Billy, thought it might have been the same man.had a few good laughs wi him on the "vrackie"

regards,hughie

Captarburns
30th May 2007, 10:01
I was on the Cruachan some sore heads for a few days !!

Just joined ship's nostaga today.

I remember this, it was in 1968 and I was cadet on the Bengloe. I'm sure this happened on more than one occasion.

R58484956
30th May 2007, 11:21
Welcome to SN Captarburns.Thank you for joining the crew, enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.

dhardie
6th June 2007, 16:46
On the topic of ben boats together, here is a photo of the Bencruachan and Benledi taken in Labuan, September 1977

Eltel
6th June 2007, 17:20
I think I was 2nd Mate on the Ledi at the time.

dhardie
6th June 2007, 20:44
George Wells was the deck cadet on the Ledi then...cannot remember any other crew

Eltel
7th June 2007, 08:44
7834The members of the 'Ledi crew that I remember were Master Ron Thomas, C/O Ian Morrison, 1/O Ian Hamilton, 2/O Me, Cdts George Wells, Cameron McLeod, C/E Bob Dale, 2/E Tam McKay, 3/E Bob Stephenson, 4/E Willie Muller, 5/E Donald Buchan, Lecky John Snaith, 2/Lecky Derek ? That's all I can remember. I think the date would be back end of 1977 as we had Christmas homeward bound. It was a good trip, so they tell me!! There are still a couple of photos surviving in the Hong Kong Bar, Penang, although a bit singed around the edges. 7832

Eltel
7th June 2007, 08:48
Hmm, my first attempt at attaching photos not so good. Seeing them reminds me the 2/Lecky was Derek Smith and E/Cdts were Willie Tulloch and Dave?.

j basing
11th January 2008, 14:10
There is another photo that was of three bens together in hong kong the armin valla and loyal and it was a head on shot,it made the newspaper, I have never seen it again

wully farquhar
13th January 2008, 14:09
Now that would have been a good shin-dig, j basing

john fraser
13th January 2008, 16:12
Now that would have been a good shin-dig, j basing
Another shin-dig was when the Stac.Arty and Cleuch were all the Ocean Terminal together.The party started on the Cleuch at morning"smoko".The Bosun of the Arty( Ronnie Buchan) finished up walking along the terminal in broad daylight in his Y fronts.(advertisment for Hings).On telling this story on my last oil related boat. The skipper piped up that he was 3rd,mate then on the Arty and the Bosun also replied he had been AB then on the Arty.I was on the Cleuch.

ernhelenbarrett
20th January 2008, 04:55
Eltel, read you piece re crew on the Benledi, and wondered if the 1/O mentioned would be Ian Hamilton who sailed as Cadet on the older Bencruachan with me way back in 1949 ,the Captain then was "Typhoon" Jones, C/O Oswald Atkinson, other Cadets were Craig Alexander, Ian came from somewhere over the Forth Bridge in the Kingdom of Fife
Regards Ern Barrett

Eltel
20th January 2008, 17:27
Ern, Sounds about right. If you look at the photos on my post at bottom of previous page, 3rd photo from bottom, top left photo on page, "Hammy" is on far right facing camera. He used to drive me daft using the chartroom dividers to scrape out his pipe! Terry.

EBenarty
19th March 2010, 22:51
On the topic of ben boats together, here is a photo of the Bencruachan and Benledi taken in Labuan, September 1977

Hi,
You must be a relation of Captain Ken Hardie who I had the great honounr to sail with on the Bennevis and Bencruachan, he was a great captain .
Billy

dhardie
24th March 2010, 22:09
I'm actually no relation at all.When I joined the Cruachan as a cadet in 1977,it was the first question asked by many though.