Poplar Technical College 1975-77/78

iang
22nd December 2006, 09:11
Served my engineering cadetship with BP here.Stayed in King Teds,Mariners Hotel and Queen Vics.Good times.Would be great to hear from old classmates.
Local pubs:Charles Napier,Londener,Red Star? Remember the grub at king teds:3 shades of baked bean,the darker the older they were.What was the name of the tug at St catherines Dock we worked on.what happened to it?What was the name of the annexe where we did workshop practice?
Anyone out there from that time?
IAIN

gasman
29th January 2007, 00:07
Hi Ian,

I did Phase 3 at Poplar , I was much as you tell it. I was in RFA in King Teds, METAC.
Food was terrible, other pubs Star of the East, Green Man at College.
Didn't work on the tug. The annexe was just North Woolwich workshops.
Spent too much time on the piss. For my sins I operate gas plant (LNG) for National Grid now.

Regards,

Lindsay Ferguson (gasman)

Doxfordman
4th February 2007, 14:00
I was at Poplar Tech from 1970, Mariner Hotel, King Teds, the annex was at Woolwich, just past the sugar factory which used to stink. We had some great times there, expecially in Phase 3, having been to sea, we knew it all!!!
There was a boozer adjacent to the Londoner - The Pigots Arms I think it was called. I think they have knocked it down along with Pigot Street.
Guys Hospital on a Saturday, Raggy Mags on a Thursday and a teachers training college on a Wednesday - the name of which escapes me. Good times.

bjd
6th February 2007, 10:23
I started at Poplar with the RFA in 1969 but lived in manor park and forrest gate near the police station. I remember we used to spend more time playing cricket in the yard during phase 3, another trick was trying to blow the main breaker whilst in the electrical section o happy days

Doxfordman
8th February 2007, 09:10
We had a house in Forest Gate with 6 off us in it - totally out of control. We all got moved back to King Teds before having a period of living in a removal van. Happy days.

Graham Wallace
15th February 2007, 02:11
I studied for my Second's steam ticket at Poplar Tech in 1962. I always thought the most amusing time was lining up for the dole, was it each week, too long ago to remember.
I reckon it was one of the most well dressed dole lines in London. There was a system whereby your company did not pay you fully on ticket leave so the dole was there to 'top' it off. All very legit but sounded really odd!
I went back in 1999 to look at some of my old roots and was totally taken aback at the area, just overwhelmed by Canary Wharf.
Graham Wallace

BigNick
15th February 2007, 13:10
Hi Ian,

Nick here, you started a goodly chat here! The workshop place in phase 1 was Empson Street, i think we only did North Woolwich annexe in the third phase.
Doxfordman, it was Goldsmiths College on Wednesdays, God knows how we stood the pace.

bjd
15th February 2007, 15:09
I have remember happy times on thursday nights at raggy mags and a couple of times the fire alsrm going off in the early hours and seeing your fellow students trying to hide from the head count. You could also tell who never made it home on a thursday night by their dress on friday morning at Woolwich.

was it one of Scroggins???? House's in Forest Gate

Bryan

Doxfordman
15th February 2007, 18:30
Scroggins was the name - geez the memories, and Goldsmiths - that was it.

There was never any time for much study - most of waht wasa done was through an empty glass. Happy, happy days.

iang
22nd February 2007, 16:34
Hi Nick,
"Empsons St". Thats it! ...on Mondays.

The tug we worked on was called the "Challenge": the last working steam tug on the Thames.It was volantary,on Sat` at St Catherines Dock

What night was Whitelands Teachers Training College!?.

Duncan112
26th February 2007, 20:34
I was there a bit later than that - 1981 -1983 for phase 1, the academic side had moved to Greenhithe but did the summer vacation at Woolwich and one day a week workshop in the second year. Stopped at Angel Hostel, Victoria Dock Road. Back down there last month - all changed now - the Angel Hostel appears to be flats (social housing?) and the front door is bricked up, Pub "Spanish Steps" many an exciting evening in there - shades of the Rawhide scene from Blues Brothers - all gone now - a hotel as best as I can make out where it was. Only pub in Custom House now is "The Connaught" which was boarded up when I was there. Couldnt find the site of the North Woolwich annex.

Greenhithe is now yuppieville - the college is an (expensive) housing estate, the pub that was "The White Hart" (Outside loos and 24 hour drinking 20 years too soon) is now an upper class bar/eating house.

I think "The Challenge" failed it's boiler survey and was scuttled as a dive site - the engine is now in the science museum - certainly one ship used by the cadets was.

Sic transit gloria mundi - happy days!!

bjd
1st March 2007, 13:12
Another place selling falling down water which we used when at Poplar was The Spotted Dog in Forest Gate

A memory of Empsom Street the six week course during the summer break between Years 1 & 2 and at the time I was there Skinheads were the Fashion a bit intimidating until you got to them

Bryan

BigNick
8th March 2007, 17:03
We were in the King Ted's Seaman's Rest, corner of Commercial Road and Salmon Lane. The drinking holes for us in 75-77 were the Charles Napier on Commercial Road, run by a real 'geeza' named Rick. Was always getting raided by the Old Bill at 2am, and a lot of us were under 18 as well! But if you lived at King Teds they didn't used to bother. Also drank at the Star of the East and The Londoner, live music from an all girl band named Brandy, lead singer later fronted Shakatak. Topless barmaids on Sundays. Memories are made of this!

Later moved to a smaller seamans hostel on the junction of Commercial Road, Burdett Road, West India Dock Road and East India Dock Road, (opposite The Londoner) but can't remember the hostel name.

For our 3rd phase in 78 KingTeds had become a battered womens refuge and we moved down West India Dock Road to Queen Victoria's Seamans Rest. Still used the Star of the East but also some pubs in the backstreets behind Queen Vics, again, can't remember the names. Iain, can you fill in any gaps?

Of course, Poplar College is something you look down on from Canary Wharf these days, but i believe the Green Man is still there on Poplar Hight St. near to the college.

Cheers,

BigNick

iang
13th March 2007, 04:21
Hi Nick,
Mariners Hotel as i recall.Can`t remember any pub names at back of Vics.Their was one pub though we were physicaly ejected from and had to run for it.Their was a birthday party on.One of our lot chatted up the birthday girl,not realizing the big bloke next to him was the boyfriend.All hell let loose.The pub was full of friends and familly they all joined in as we ran a gauntlet of kicks and punches.Can`t remember name of pub though.Stuck to the Star after that.
Iain

BigNick
13th March 2007, 11:48
The Mariners, course it was. Nice one Iain.

Nick

Doxfordman
14th March 2007, 21:36
Anyone remember the Pigot Arms - just accross the road from the Londoner - great boozer.

Steve Hodges
25th April 2007, 00:14
Hello fellow Poplarites, I just found this thread and it brought back some memories. I did the OND course 1968-1970 - remember the Empson Street annex well, mostly for trying to weld my fingers together with an oxy-acetylene torch. Does anyone remember the ex-RN guy that taught naval architecture? Was it Commander Martin? He took us all down to Pompey for a day in the RN's damage control simulator, near drowned half of us.
Did my "vacation training" at Caird & Rayners on Commercial Road, making evaporators , and stayed in the Mariner's Hotel.
Also remember an epic three-legged pub crawl from the college for charity round most of the local pubs mentioned, finishing up in the Londoner, and all getting chucked out when one of our number threw up on the stairs. As one of our number has already observed - happy days, indeed.

bjd
25th April 2007, 09:25
I also remember the 3 legged pub crawl whilst at poplar was it a half in every pub and do es anyone remember the football games at Hackney Marshes a bit chilly when the wind blew across them

Bryan

BigNick
2nd July 2007, 16:30
Steve,

Yes it was definitely Commander Martin, tall white haired bloke as i recall, still going strong 1975 to 1978.

BigNick

Cwade
6th May 2008, 20:38
I was there at the same time as you and also worked on the old tug. Funny that most of us never got to sail her when she left on her second maiden voyage.
Of course, your dredging up some old memories for me. i left the service in '80 to move to America.
Love to hear from anyone, especially old friends, Nic, Tim, Ian I, et al.

Served my engineering cadetship with BP here.Stayed in King Teds,Mariners Hotel and Queen Vics.Good times.Would be great to hear from old classmates.
Local pubs:Charles Napier,Londener,Red Star? Remember the grub at king teds:3 shades of baked bean,the darker the older they were.What was the name of the tug at St catherines Dock we worked on.what happened to it?What was the name of the annexe where we did workshop practice?
Anyone out there from that time?
IAIN

Pyramid
24th August 2008, 21:47
Hi , anyone remeber Martin Butler from Banbury , he drove an old Mini Cooper that was his pride and joy.
I did my sea time with him on the British Kennet before coming to Poplar , Steve Fry ( Tuck) was another cadet with BP who did his first phase at South Shields.
I also recall Don Reith ( Scouser) who played decent football while the rest of us were crap.
Other names that come to mind , Dick parker and Tony Heathcote , both BP Cadets I seem to remember.

Anyway Happy days were had by all , what about the Phoenix pub also , used to be a bit more upmarket and remember the owner had a big photo of Frank Sinatra hanging up in it , seemed to be his pride and joy. ( maybe it wasn't upmarket , it was loooong time ago)

Cheers ,....Doug Duncan

captainchris
24th August 2008, 22:09
Phoenix is still there, but everywhere else, apart from Bum Daddies is gone

Chris

clonguish
27th January 2009, 13:35
OMG what memories of phase 1 god bless ur memories as I couldnt for the life of me remember the Napiers name, what was the name of the guy in charge of us in King Teds, can recall playing ten pin Bowling down one of the corridors with real milk bottles and a brick , what were we??? Can Remember Girling as Head of Dept, Commander Firkin? 2ic and a little fellow alway wore a Blazer with MN on the breast Pocket, Paddy O'Rourke who was the guy in the powewr plant room, other names I recall would be John Jenkins ( Houlders) John Heaton ( Holders) Chas Wilkie ( Blue Star) Pete Harnby ( BP?)
Rag Macs = Rachel MacMillian Training Coll. all in a distant alcohol fuel past,

Duncan McGregor Tompkins ( Furness Withy and Houlders )

Duncan112
27th January 2009, 19:09
OMG what memories of phase 1 god bless ur memories as I couldnt for the life of me remember the Napiers name, what was the name of the guy in charge of us in King Teds, can recall playing ten pin Bowling down one of the corridors with real milk bottles and a brick , what were we??? Can Remember Girling as Head of Dept, Commander Firkin? 2ic and a little fellow alway wore a Blazer with MN on the breast Pocket, Paddy O'Rourke who was the guy in the powewr plant room, other names I recall would be John Jenkins ( Houlders) John Heaton ( Holders) Chas Wilkie ( Blue Star) Pete Harnby ( BP?)

John Girling finished as head of Engineering at Greenhithe, unfortunately passed on about 3 years ago.

Duncan

Viv
29th January 2009, 14:46
I was at Poplar for phase 3 in 64/65, it was the year the N Woolwich annex was first opened, we spent half our time first term getting things running. A very enjoyable year.
I was at the boat show last year, so I took a drive down to N Woolwich to see what was there, I wish I hadn't bothered.

iang
12th March 2009, 05:54
Before my memory fails me,here a few names I remember from 75 intake:
BP: Paul Munson,Graeme Whyte,Andy Cobban,Alan Steel,Andy Lines,Jimmy Macdonald,Robert Chislet.Neil Anderson.
RFA:Tim Grey,Nick Cochran,Stuart Hope,John Plant.
Houlders: Brian Hedges
??:Ashley Menzies,Bernard Gaulier,Phil Eient
Dick Whitington was the Welfare Officer at King Teds

iang

Welsh Dragon
19th March 2009, 21:55
Recall the Grapes down by the river. David Owen MP (Gang of Four) lived a few doors away. Spent 3rd phase there 1975. If I recall we used to go to a Girls Collage over the river nick name of Raggy Mags. Anybody remember that.
Napier, Star of the East & Londoner all have a fond place in my heart and an empty place in my pocket.
[=P]

Billieboy
24th May 2009, 10:23
Was at Poplar for part A Second Eng. 1967 stayed at Anchor House, where Watneys put in a 20Mē cooled beer tank, it never ran out! The best day of the week was collecting the three quid dole money from the unemployment exchange and then having lunch at Old Friends in Lime house, next to the police station, we were a mixed bunch, but two of the gang spoke Chinese so we always got good food and service with minimal cost! That was a lovely Summer, "Kursaal", never lost a race and the initial 3quid at 100-6 paid off! and paid off! for some reason I was never ever short of cash!

Doxfordman
4th July 2009, 08:40

I think the name of the bloke who wore the blazer was Minchin - he taught EK's. I was best mates with Chas Wilkie (Blue Star), John Kelly (Bowrings), John Jenkins the skin head?,
Most of us got thrown out or at least told to leave early after a fire extinuisher fight during the end of our 3rd phase, I think we were doing our lifeboat tickets at the time. Bit hazy now after all these years.

Magoo1
6th July 2009, 17:42
Well - what memories!! Most of my long term memory is shot to pieces but this thread has brought a few back! I was at PTC from 69 to 73 and was a resident of one of Scroggins' houses - 11 Finden Road Forest Gate - just off Green Street.
I well remember Girling - and what about Shepherd - large shaggy grey bearded bloke- can't remember what the old boy taught but remember his son played guitar in Gary Glitter's band! The name Coutinho springs to mind from the main building too - think he was one of the workshop lecturers at the main building!

We spent the first year at Empson Street apart from one day a week at the main building and then did ONC in year 2 at the main building, off to sea for a bit then phase 3 at woolwich. They'd just bought a biggish diesel and our task was to install it. My bit - with a mate was to design, make and fit the compressed air lines - so we drew them up on paper and then subbed the work to the guys working in the welding shop while we pee'd off to the pub for the duration. God knows how we ever got through that course

Names from the course I remember were Neil Matthews, Neil Matthewson, Bernie Grant, Bob Easton, Atholl Blair, Tony Shilling - I dare say more will come to me if I think about it

I started off working for Hain-Nourse which got rolled into the General Cargo Division of P&O and sailed on Treneglos, Trebartha, Westmorland, Tongariro Manapouri and Mataura

Cheers all - more if I remember later!!

Doxfordman
8th July 2009, 00:29
I was at PTC from 70 - 74, with a year at sea 72/73. There were a couple of Hains blokes in our course, one was a little bloke from London, Martin Pain , I think his name was. He turned up down here in Aus a while back but haven't heard of him for a long while. We lived at the Mariners for the first two years, then in the 3rd phase we lived at Forest Gate, a place in Blackheath, a furnature van (Commer) and latterly in King Teds.

Magoo1
8th July 2009, 21:10
I was at PTC from 70 - 74, with a year at sea 72/73. There were a couple of Hains blokes in our course, one was a little bloke from London, Martin Pain , I think his name was. He turned up down here in Aus a while back but haven't heard of him for a long while. We lived at the Mariners for the first two years, then in the 3rd phase we lived at Forest Gate, a place in Blackheath, a furnature van (Commer) and latterly in King Teds.

Hi Dox
sounds like you were a year later than me!
Howard Stringer, Mick Wacher, Mick Rivett, John Whittaker, Chris Tobin are a few more names that sprang to mind!

I had a week in the Mariners - but I really don't remember anything about it!! Must have been something in the beer! Or maybe it was the (Smoke) as i was a bit of a (Hippy) :D

Oh yeah - and a bloke called Steve Smith who I met up with again later on when he and his new wife turned up on board in Timaru - much to the crew's amazement as he'd seemingly married the notorious "Hairy Mary" from Dunedin!!
Cheers!

Doxfordman
8th July 2009, 23:41
Magoo,

Would that have been Mick Wager, can't remember which company he was with but he lived down in Kent, in Petham. If it was the same bloke I stayed with him once or twice when we used to visit Cantaberry for very long weekends - happy days.
Heard tell of "Hairy Mary", did you ever come accross the lovely Davinia - 2/E's mole??

bjd
11th July 2009, 16:36
Magoo1

I must have been around at the time in finden rd in 72/73 with bernie, Atholl Blair who was always after change so he could phone caroline? in belfast Mick lyons another name from that time I remember bernie's pest control methods. Do you remember Neil and the stop children crossing sign from forest gate nick, also the sessions at the rising sun with john groves behind the bar

Bryan

Magoo1
14th July 2009, 18:09
Magoo1

I must have been around at the time in finden rd in 72/73 with bernie, Atholl Blair who was always after change so he could phone caroline? in belfast Mick lyons another name from that time I remember bernie's pest control methods. Do you remember Neil and the stop children crossing sign from forest gate nick, also the sessions at the rising sun with john groves behind the bar

Bryan

BRYAN!!!!!!!!!!!..... It's Mark!!(Wave)

Who could forget Bernie taking potshots at the wildlife! Neil was very very pissed that night! He's only just come ashore - I sent him a message via friends reunited but never got a reply!
PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you a pic of the front of the house I took last year

Dox - it must be the same bloke - his surname was Wacher but he was insistant that it was pronounced to rhyme with wager - and he definately lived in that area

Doxfordman
15th July 2009, 00:03
Magoo,

I reckon it was the same bloke and i think he was with Bowrings? - which puts me about a year behind you.

Magoo1
15th July 2009, 01:01
He was indeed with Bowrings now you come to mention it!!

God that was a long time ago!!

Doxfordman
15th July 2009, 23:39
It certainly was a long time ago - Happy dazs!!!

DIBs
16th July 2009, 18:49
I did Phase 3 with Mike Wacher at north Woolwich from Sept 71 to july 72.
He was living in Blackheath, I was a Scroggins boy! Mike is now a C/ENG with
P.O Ferries in Dover and still lives near Canterbury,he is a real gentleman and
a good friend to all who know him. I was known as Joe at the time because I did Phase 1 with Shell and Phase 2 and 3 with N.Z.S. It was a wonderful year
with so much going on. P.O GCD was formed during this time and I went back
to sea on the Nyanza and lost touch with the N.Z.S. guys Joined Townsend
Car ferries in 73 and met up with Mike again on the S.O.F.E. in 78,I think
DIBs

Doxfordman
17th July 2009, 08:29
Dibs,
Is Watcher still a Chief working out of Dover??

DIBs
19th July 2009, 13:22
Hi Dox, yes Mike is a chief on The Pride Of Canterbury,they now work week on week off, one of the reasons I took redundancy, and have now retired.
regards DIBs

Doxfordman
19th July 2009, 23:56
DIB's,

Thanks for the information - I'll have to try and contact him.

Geoff Clode
21st December 2009, 13:47
Hi Outthere, I attended Poplar in 1970.for Houlder Bros. We stayed at Anchor House, some at the Red Ensign Club, Aldgate. We used to drink at a dockside pub called Charlie Browns? memories fading a bit these days!Mucky Charlies? I remember seamen for years wrote their names on the wall! Their was another famous pub there, no doubt someone will enlighten me?

Billieboy
21st December 2009, 16:42
Hi Outthere, I attended Poplar in 1970.for Houlder Bros. We stayed at Anchor House, some at the Red Ensign Club, Aldgate. We used to drink at a dockside pub called Charlie Browns? memories fading a bit these days!Mucky Charlies? I remember seamen for years wrote their names on the wall! Their was another famous pub there, no doubt someone will enlighten me?

I used to stay at Anchor house too, in '67, I was there when they brought in the Big Watney tank. What a great place to stay.

crisden78
16th March 2011, 05:05
I was in Poplar College early in 1965, doing a pre sea course compliments of Blue Star. Stayed in the Queen Vic seamens rest at 7 bob a night. I think the pub along the road was the Great Eastern, on the corner of the East India dock road and further down, Charley Browns

GWB
16th March 2011, 08:31
I was at Popular in63 pre sea course compliments Shaw Savill in digs at Upton Park not far from the Bolyne Pub.

crisden78
25th March 2011, 06:32
I spent New Years eve 1965 in Anchor House, then back to the ship [Canadian Star] in KG5 dock and sailed at midnight for Liverpool, and into a gale in the Channel. What a trip!

alan dd
12th April 2011, 15:31
I spent from September 75 to July 76 at Poplar, staying at Queen Victoria Seamens Rest.
Sort of a "Remedial" course for about 25 of us from all different companies and previous colleges to retake the METC we failed in Phase 1 - in my case due to having too much of a good time in Hull for the first two years!! The idea was to resit the original exam and do workshops in the first four months and then go on to the METAC the next year. A very condensed course.

There were a couple of us from P&O, BP and Shell, with half a dozen from RFA, the rest if I remember correctly coming from Houlders/Blue Funnel/Ocean.

Workshops on a Friday down in Woolwich with an 0800 start, and 1700 finish - we had to get the required workshop time in to satisfy City and Guilds! Always remember that place - there was an old condenser in the yard we were 'sent to work on' as punishment for an assortment of offences. 'Work' involved battering the ferrules and tube packing to death in order to remove a tube. (you'll need to do that a lot when you get back to sea sonny!) I've never seen a condenser with tube packing in the 35 years at sea since then!!
I remember that most of the (steam recip) pumps we had to dismantle and take measurements as exercises had the nuts and bolts only hand tight and there was usually a sheet inside with all the correct answers/figures written down by previous cadets.
Used to have lunch at the STC cables factory on workshop days, food was superb compared with that at Queen Vics.

We spent most evenings in a pub a couple of hundred yards behind Queen Vics, at a bend in the road on Upper North Street, can anyone remember the name of it? Manager was called 'Tell' or Terry and used to drink Guiness - usually had a drink on four corners of the bar! The building is still there (I've looked on Google Earth Street View) but has been converted to flats by the look of it and is overgrown with ivy.

Happy times................

Tom Wood
2nd May 2011, 06:10
I was at Teds in 50 but can't find other class mates.
Have a lot of memories - Gulliver (caretaker at the hall) - MY Wendorian (training) Magellan (launch boat) Lecky & Sumner (Whalers)
ABA trainer Etching ? Whose tough up put several in hospital.
Strike at the dinner table - those beans were just too hard to handle.
Gulliver's violin strings sabotaged) and much more but not many will remember my days - I'm now 75 with the best memories of all.

Landi
11th July 2011, 04:27

Hi Duncan,

Where you thinking about Jack Whittington as the guy who looked after us on behalf of the British Sailors Society, he used to organise the football, tickets to TV shows and the Youth Hosteling/Ten Tors walks.

I remember grinding valves on the Challenge Tug, the three legged race, and getting into a little trouble with the George Davis family!

Names, well Mick Willis, John John, Dave Fellows, RFA, Pat King BP
Mark Rabbet, Mobil, Jimmy Devlin, Paul Butler Blue Star and many more who's names seem to have been lost in time and the alcoholic haze.

Ian Goodall, Ex Turnbull Scott.

boatmadman
4th September 2011, 06:06
I was on 3rd phase Jan to Dec 1976, stayed in the Mariners. Blimey this has stirred some memories.
I remember the Star of the East v well, quality of the beer was judged by the size and number of floaters! Did we dare complain? No way!!
Lunchtimes in the Green Man helped pass the afternoons in college!
Woolwich, workshop time - swapping bits between the two sulzer barge engines to confuse your mates. Then going to the pub Friday lunchtime for some 'adult' entertainment.

Ian ex BP

NoR
4th September 2011, 06:14
"........... There was a system whereby your company did not pay you fully on ticket leave so the dole was there to 'top' it off. All very legit but sounded really odd!........"
Graham Wallace

Remember signing on at Leith (2nd mates 1965) for exactly the same reason. I astonished the 'Bru' staff by actually taking a job during the College holidays, it was at the SPA warehouse somewhere in Edinburgh.

Doxfordman
13th September 2011, 04:57
Sheeesh,
It was 41 years ago today - 13th September 1970, That I began my Cadetship with NZSC and Poplar Tech, whilst staying at the Mariner Hotel. A lot of water has gone over the side since then!

Bruce B
10th October 2011, 16:07
Magoo1

Bryan

Just found this forum and website and here we are! Lots of PTC stuff right here. Magoo, you may not remember me but I certainly have been reminded of some of the people I knew and in particular John Groves who I shared a house with in Halley Rd, Manor Park! Also there was Richard Soman, Keith Forget, Clive Goulden. Neil Matthews and John I'm still in touch with after all these years! I just met up with an old mate called Paul (Beeps) Burgoyne back in June who's now a school teacher. He used to have vintage motorbikes in those days. Lots of memories jogged here. Thank you! Some other names I remember: Chris Brautigham (sp?), Dave Arnold (still in touch with him!), Nigel Hancock.
This forum has been an inspiration and reconnected some neurones that were seriously disfunctional.
Bruce B

Bruce B
10th October 2011, 16:12
Recall the Grapes down by the river. David Owen MP (Gang of Four) lived a few doors away. Spent 3rd phase there 1975. If I recall we used to go to a Girls Collage over the river nick name of Raggy Mags. Anybody remember that.
Napier, Star of the East & Londoner all have a fond place in my heart and an empty place in my pocket.
[=P]

Yep. Raggy Macs, or Rachel McMillan College was a regular haunt and I went to many a night out there and saw several bands in the hall including Mud! Mmm, impressive! I had a girlfriend who studied there and many fond memories of the place. Buggered if I know how you got there though but driving around the East End then was very much simpler than it is now I suspect.
Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce B
10th October 2011, 16:15
Does anyone know what actual street the North Woolwich annexe was on? And what was the pub close by where I used to go for a lunchtime pint and listen to Alice Cooper's "School's Out" on the juke box!?
Bruce B

GeeM
12th October 2011, 01:18
Does anyone know what actual street the North Woolwich annexe was on? And what was the pub close by where I used to go for a lunchtime pint and listen to Alice Cooper's "School's Out" on the juke box!?
Bruce B

Bruce

Yes I remember the street name It was Empson Street. I was there from 1979-83, Turnbull Scott Cadet. Happy memories of taking that machinery apart which had been taken apart by so many Engineer Cadets before. Cant remember the pub name though. Im still In the shipping business. Now working as a Class Surveyor.

Martin

Doxfordman
12th October 2011, 02:42
Empson Steet was in Bow, not North Woolwich from my memory? Might be wrong. Slivertown Way comes to memory but that might have the road to there. can rember the sweet smell of the sugar refinary, just the job after a heavy night!

Bruce B
15th October 2011, 03:28
Yes Dox, I think you're right. Empson St was where the Poplar Tech workshop annexe was where we did stuff like turning and workshop practice. The North Woolwich annexe was where the final year engineering was done and It was down somewhere off North Woolwich Rd I think. Now most of that old stuff has been knocked down to make way for things like the University of East London. Just would have liked a confirmation of exactly where it was! I was doing my 3rd year in '73 and it was a very different place then. In truth, not a very nice place either! Mind you, you could at least drive to the West End in a realistic time, grab a pint and be back before midnight. Try that now! Cheers, B

david freeman
15th October 2011, 12:31
I studied for my Second's steam ticket at Poplar Tech in 1962. I always thought the most amusing time was lining up for the dole, was it each week, too long ago to remember.
I reckon it was one of the most well dressed dole lines in London. There was a system whereby your company did not pay you fully on ticket leave so the dole was there to 'top' it off. All very legit but sounded really odd!
I went back in 1999 to look at some of my old roots and was totally taken aback at the area, just overwhelmed by Canary Wharf.
Graham Wallace. Hello Graham did you know David Morgan BP HNc Apprentice? about the same time. Wound Up with the DtP Ports Division in Sunley House High Holborn. I sailed with him on the Courage in 64 as apprentice, Great time David was 4/e. David served on the SE IMarE committe, when he was connected to the Port of Dover.(EEK)

DIBs
15th October 2011, 14:57
The pub near North Woolwich Annexe was the Kent Arms,just across the railway line.You wouldn`t go there in the evening! The annexe was in Store Road I think it was part of the old Cable & Wireless factory.I was there for Phase 3 ,13-9-71 to 14-7-72,it was a wonderful year in my life.
DIBs

Bruce B
16th October 2011, 05:08
I was on 3rd phase Jan to Dec 1976, stayed in the Mariners. Blimey this has stirred some memories.
I remember the Star of the East v well, quality of the beer was judged by the size and number of floaters! Did we dare complain? No way!!
Lunchtimes in the Green Man helped pass the afternoons in college!
Woolwich, workshop time - swapping bits between the two sulzer barge engines to confuse your mates. Then going to the pub Friday lunchtime for some 'adult' entertainment.

Ian ex BP

So Ian, what was the name of that pub at North Woolwich near the workshops?! And do you remember one of the engineering lecturers called Rathbone? Always stuck in my mind as being a very dry old stick! Not entirely without humour though. God, you'd need a sense of humour to work there every day with the like of us lot!(Pint)
Cheers, Bruce B

Neil M
16th October 2011, 11:17
Blimey!!!! Reading through these threads has joined up some brains cells - long out of action!! Poplar 69 - 73. Stayed at a Scroggins house in Forest gate. I shall re - read all the threads and peice all the stuff together - thanks guys!

Doxfordman
29th October 2011, 11:51
Yes Dox, I think you're right. Empson St was where the Poplar Tech workshop annexe was where we did stuff like turning and workshop practice. The North Woolwich annexe was where the final year engineering was done and It was down somewhere off North Woolwich Rd I think. Now most of that old stuff has been knocked down to make way for things like the University of East London. Just would have liked a confirmation of exactly where it was! I was doing my 3rd year in '73 and it was a very different place then. In truth, not a very nice place either! Mind you, you could at least drive to the West End in a realistic time, grab a pint and be back before midnight. Try that now! Cheers, B

Bruce,
You must have been there same time as me. Phase 3, 73-74.
Did you know Alan Gosling? He was an RFA cadet.

Bruce B
2nd November 2011, 01:38
Bruce,

Hi Dox,
Yep, I guess we were there about the same time but I think I was there a year earlier because I started at PTC in 69 so Phase 3 would have been 72/73. Can't place anyone called Alan Gosling, but that doesn't mean much... my detailed memory seems to have deserted me!
Bruce B(Cloud)

Graham Wallace
3rd November 2011, 00:03
. Hello Graham did you know David Morgan BP HNc Apprentice? about the same time. Wound Up with the DtP Ports Division in Sunley House High Holborn. I sailed with him on the Courage in 64 as apprentice, Great time David was 4/e. David served on the SE IMarE committe, when he was connected to the Port of Dover.(EEK)

Yes David I have met him, originally back in 2003 and last contact in 2009.

He was a 1956 Intake, sailed on as 3E to 1965 and left BP

Graham

Doxfordman
3rd November 2011, 08:40
Bruce,

Yep, you would have been a year in front of me / us.

Steve Hodges
8th January 2013, 22:09
Just re-read this thread and it brought back even more memories, although as 1968-70 OND course I was a bit before most contributors. I seem to remember there was a massive single leg blast injection diesel in the basement that was occasionally run up for demonstrating how to take cards, but it shook the whole building so it wasn't used much. A couple of lecturers came to mind whose names I can't recall One was a little pipe-smoking ex MN engineer who taught us thermodynamics, but would frequently tie himself in knots with the calcs and have to go out to calm down ( and, it was rumoured, to get another lecturer to explain what he was doing wrong) Nice bloke, but really he taught us more about what to expect when we got to sea than he did about thermodynamics. Another character was our maths lecturer in year 2 - a young bloke who had a Masters degree in Mathematics but was studying for a degree in law, he used to set us work to do in the class then get on with his own studies. No-one messed him about because he was an amateur wrestler! And how long did the half-size snooker table in the common room survive for? It was pretty rough by 1970, that's for sure, but that's where I learned to play.
But my main memory is of trying to concentrate in hot stuffy rooms, while looking out of the window at the ships in the West India Dock and thinking "When am I finally going to get to sea?"

crisden78
9th January 2013, 05:04
I was on a pre sea course at Poplar in 1965, mostly BI cadets with 4 of us from Blue Star. Stayed across the road at the Queen Vic Seamans Rest...7 bob a night, closest pub I think was the Manor. Frequented Charley Browns on the East India Dock Road and also the Prospect of Whitby on Wapping Wall. Happy Days

stonkingjohn
2nd August 2013, 00:28
Bruce,

Hi Doxfordman,
I was RFA in 1970-1972 and 1973-74 at Poplar. Alan Gosling was one of our lot along with Eric Hambling, Frank Bryden, Rob Cottam, Pete Best, Graham Jeffrey, Paul Cooper, Roger Stevens, Oswald Moseley, Steve Piper?, Derek Emm, Andy Sheward and Rick Hudson.

Last saw Alan Gosling in 1974/75 around Richmond/Twickenham.

Waighty
6th August 2013, 16:44
The building on the corner of Commercial Road and Salmon Lane was the "stack of bricks", used by MAR cadets in the 60s, with the watering hole just opposite called the Cooper's Arms run by an ex docker Bill and his wife Grace. Gawd knows what the locals thought of us but a genteel place of recreation it was not! Stack of Bricks is now a block of flats - quite tastefully converted but the plaque at the top of the main entrance still has all the details about seafaring and King George V opening it. Cooper's Arms long gone and replaced by boring modern flats. Star of the East is, last time I went passed, still boarded up. The Mariner's Hotel is still there but is now a hostel of some sort. West India Dock Road has been sanitised - no more Chinese restaurants just modern low level blocks of flats but Limehouse Police Station is still there - remember when living in the Mariner's we were asked to supply 9 blokes to take part in a line-up! Got half a crown for our trouble. Good to be young in that era. Someone mentioned Raggy Mags - nowadays it's student halls of residence for one of the universites.

Doxfordman
11th December 2013, 20:45
Hi Doxfordman,
I was RFA in 1970-1972 and 1973-74 at Poplar. Alan Gosling was one of our lot along with Eric Hambling, Frank Bryden, Rob Cottam, Pete Best, Graham Jeffrey, Paul Cooper, Roger Stevens, Oswald Moseley, Steve Piper?, Derek Emm, Andy Sheward and Rick Hudson.

Last saw Alan Gosling in 1974/75 around Richmond/Twickenham.

Wow, I remember most of those names. Alan fetched up living in Weymouth and was a Super for Condor Ferries. He got divorced and moved with his new partner to Southern Spain, where I believe he still is. He has holiday accommodation up in the hills just outside of Malaga.

Graham Wallace
19th December 2013, 17:58
. Hello Graham did you know David Morgan BP HNc Apprentice? about the same time. Wound Up with the DtP Ports Division in Sunley House High Holborn. I sailed with him on the Courage in 64 as apprentice, Great time David was 4/e. David served on the SE IMarE committe, when he was connected to the Port of Dover.(EEK)

David

I started my Apprenticeship with BP in 1955, there was no HNC course running at that time only OND's. David L Morgan was a 1956 Intake at Hendon where BP started it's HNC studies ( I do not know how they did that, I always presumed you had to have an ONC before progressing up to an HNC! After I left BP I went back for an HNC with all endorsements for A.I. Mech E.) There were only 13 BP Apprentices in the 1956 intake at Hendon.

I first came across David Morgan in 2003 and retained contact up to 2009. In 1993 he joined I MarEst in a management function. He died in 2011, I will try to attach his Obituary.

Graham

GrahamBurn
13th July 2014, 02:44
Thanks to you all for putting a big smile on my face I was one of a group that did Phase 3 with a difference at Poplar 73/74, we were OND failed so did Phase 1 METC in the first half of our time and then the Phase 3 METC Advanced in the second half of our year there, it was a bit of a crammer especially fitting it in around all the boozing and whatever at Raggy Mags, Guys Hospital amongst others, weekend trips away for "football"
Remember the Kent across the road from the N Woolwich annexe, used to do drag nights, very entertaining! We stayed in Queen Vics, locals the African Tavern, Green Man and another one the name of which escapes me, Terry and Maureen were the land lord and lady and they had a most attractive daughter called Terresa. Commander bloody Martin put me off Nav arch for life and it was thanks to Bob Smith in Shields I managed to pass it for chiefs.

GrahamBurn
13th July 2014, 03:21
I spent from September 75 to July 76 at Poplar, staying at Queen Victoria Seamens Rest.
Sort of a "Remedial" course for about 25 of us from all different companies and previous colleges to retake the METC we failed in Phase 1 - in my case due to having too much of a good time in Hull for the first two years!! The idea was to resit the original exam and do workshops in the first four months and then go on to the METAC the next year. A very condensed course.

There were a couple of us from P&O, BP and Shell, with half a dozen from RFA, the rest if I remember correctly coming from Houlders/Blue Funnel/Ocean.

Workshops on a Friday down in Woolwich with an 0800 start, and 1700 finish - we had to get the required workshop time in to satisfy City and Guilds! Always remember that place - there was an old condenser in the yard we were 'sent to work on' as punishment for an assortment of offences. 'Work' involved battering the ferrules and tube packing to death in order to remove a tube. (you'll need to do that a lot when you get back to sea sonny!) I've never seen a condenser with tube packing in the 35 years at sea since then!!
I remember that most of the (steam recip) pumps we had to dismantle and take measurements as exercises had the nuts and bolts only hand tight and there was usually a sheet inside with all the correct answers/figures written down by previous cadets.
Used to have lunch at the STC cables factory on workshop days, food was superb compared with that at Queen Vics.

We spent most evenings in a pub a couple of hundred yards behind Queen Vics, at a bend in the road on Upper North Street, can anyone remember the name of it? Manager was called 'Tell' or Terry and used to drink Guiness - usually had a drink on four corners of the bar! The building is still there (I've looked on Google Earth Street View) but has been converted to flats by the look of it and is overgrown with ivy.

Happy times................

I did the same as you the year before, had a great time many fond memories, what was the name of that pub, I went back a few years after and Terry got me so pissed I had to sleep it off in the back of my car before I could get back to N London where I was visiting my brother!