jenny,s side party,[ HONG KONG ]

yorky jim
22nd December 2006, 17:45
One group of girls who did the ROYAL NAVY proud,but we hear hardly any mention of them on any web site,
I visited HONG KONG twice on two different R.N ships.
By the time we left ,our ship,s side and upper deck around the upper looked out of this world. the smile on the "buffer,s" was huge.
I wonder how many families took part .?
i expect there are many of you who made pals with them,when you were there
if there are any more stories of the girls ,or pics (Thumb) lets hear about them or see them.
yorkie Jim

jbryce
22nd December 2006, 22:26
Attached is photo of Jenny's Side Party taken on HMS Ark Royal in 1965. They painted the ship's side in less than a week - we supplied the paint. Not sure what the payment was but they were given sole rights in all of the dining halls, to take all of the "gash". Consequently, you could have your lunch and leave it, then go ashore and buy the same lunch "warmed up". They also ran a "goffer bar" in one of the PV spaces, where the bottles of soft drinks were immersed in a barrel of ice - very refreshing on a hot day. At that time a HK Dollar was worth 1s 2p (5.5p) and a Singapore Dollar 2s 4d (12p).

yorky jim
23rd December 2006, 14:49
grand pic there jim.
they must have been all the head of each SAMPAN if they did the ark royal the ones sat in the pic.
they looked a happy lot.

jocksenior
26th December 2006, 23:29
Attached is photo of Jenny's Side Party taken on HMS Ark Royal in 1965. They painted the ship's side in less than a week - we supplied the paint. Not sure what the payment was but they were given sole rights in all of the dining halls, to take all of the "gash". Consequently, you could have your lunch and leave it, then go ashore and buy the same lunch "warmed up". They also ran a "goffer bar" in one of the PV spaces, where the bottles of soft drinks were immersed in a barrel of ice - very refreshing on a hot day. At that time a HK Dollar was worth 1s 2p (5.5p) and a Singapore Dollar 2s 4d (12p).
Remember that photo well. I was side party on the Ark at that time and we had to stir and deliver the paint to them they slapped it on that quick it was a nonstop job and they were all women.

Mogey
10th January 2007, 14:37
First came into contact with Jenny`s Side Party when I was on HMS Crane
and I was part of the Bosuns Party,also found out why the Buffer (Chief Bosun`s Mate)kept all the old rope etc Jenny would take anything as quoted her crowd would have carte blanche over the gash and goffers the did do an excellent job in painting ship and some of her girls even acted as waitresses when the officers had their cocktail parties,it certainly opened ones eyes to see them out of their painting gear.

wezel
4th August 2007, 09:22
:sweat: That photo brings back memories.I joined Ark Royal in 63 for my first far east trip. The skipper in the photo is Captain Gibson who I believe left the ship in Hong Kong shortly after the photo was taken.Attached is photo of Jenny's Side Party taken on HMS Ark Royal in 1965. They painted the ship's side in less than a week - we supplied the paint. Not sure what the payment was but they were given sole rights in all of the dining halls, to take all of the "gash". Consequently, you could have your lunch and leave it, then go ashore and buy the same lunch "warmed up". They also ran a "goffer bar" in one of the PV spaces, where the bottles of soft drinks were immersed in a barrel of ice - very refreshing on a hot day. At that time a HK Dollar was worth 1s 2p (5.5p) and a Singapore Dollar 2s 4d (12p).

yorky jim
10th August 2007, 17:57
I just wonder what it could be said in chinese ,if one spotted a holiday so well up on a carrier ..........,no rice for a day(MAD) ,those bamboo canes would have to be light,

AncientBrit
11th October 2007, 20:28
:sweat: That photo brings back memories.I joined Ark Royal in 63 for my first far east trip. The skipper in the photo is Captain Gibson who I believe left the ship in Hong Kong shortly after the photo was taken.

The Captain is in fact Capt A.T.F.Griffin, who indeed left the ship shortly thereafter when Capt M.F.Fell took over till the end of the cruise in 1966, He later went on to become Flag Officer Naval Air Command.
BTW. The Admiral sat in centre , Guy by the name of Hill Norton, if my memory serves me correct, a dower, humourless man. That may be my memory being skewed by the fact that early one morning he came onto the bridge and picked up a pair of binoculars I had left "shoe-polished" for the Midshipman of the watch. The looks on bridge crew faces as the Admiral walked around with two black eyes was priceless.

Duncan112
11th October 2007, 20:35
Lord Hill-Nortons Obituary:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/05/19/db1901.xml

Seaweed
6th March 2010, 16:31
Should be a 1965 pic of Jenny and the Side Party onboard HMS London, 1965 (if I have managed the upload right)

Seaweed
6th March 2010, 16:41
Here's Jenny's obituary: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/military-obituaries/naval-obituaries/5050875/Jenny.html

yorky jim
6th March 2010, 19:01
Seaweed,

That is a grand photo of "jenny"....they must have been the same girls from when we were there in 1966, [H.M.S CHICHESTER]

Yorky Jim

rab.m.
6th March 2010, 20:25
Sad to hear today that Jenny passed away on the 19th of last month aged ninety two in her beloved Hong Kong.
regards rab.m.

linglis
6th March 2010, 20:31
This was taken in Hong Kong in 1961 which included the side party.
They did a great job, used to tow them back to Junk Bay in the evening,

Union Jack
10th March 2010, 20:50
For those who are interested, here is a link to Jenny's obituary as printed in The Times: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article5998097.ece#cid=OTC-RSS&attr=1972202

Incidentally, the Captain of ARK in the photograph at #2 is definitely Tony Griffin, an absolutely charming man, and a complete contrast to H-N who, as Ancient Brit says, was not exactly a barrel of laughs. Perhaps as a result, he did, however, create much amusement in his wake ** and, laughs or no laughs, was I understand a very effective First Sea Lord, Chief of Defence Staff, and Chairman of the NATO Military Committee.

** Like the story of the newly promoted Captain RN, skipping down the corridor of the 6th Floor, crying out "The First Sea Lord spoke to me! The First Sea Lord spoke to me!" A more senior Captain calmed him down, and then said, "Well, what did he he say to you?", to which the reply came, "He said, 'Get out of the ******* way!' " (EEK)

Jack
(whose lips are sealed about another HN story ...)

Bunts
11th March 2010, 17:34
When we arrivede in HK in September 1945, Jenny and her girls were there to greet us, in each mess one of the girls would wait at the end of the table till we had finished eating
ready to clear it and dish up. Then of course there was Madam Sew-Sew who did the clothing repairs. After 16
months away from the UK, HK was a great place to be.