Furness Bridge

leo hannan
17th November 2006, 12:57
A request for help.
I'm looking for a photo of the Furness Bridge to add to my collection of Houlder Bros. & Assoc. Cos. Although I did four trips on her I neglected to obtain one.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

gdynia
17th November 2006, 13:07
Leo

Go into the Gallery enter search with Furness Bridge and a photo posted by one of the Mods Fairfield is awaiting you

non descript
17th November 2006, 14:29
Leo,
She was never one of my favorite's... but the link is here:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/36349/si/Furness%20Bridge/what/allfields

leo hannan
17th November 2006, 14:47
Hi Gdynia/Tonga
Many thanks for that, I'd forgotten what an ugly bugger she was. Mind you though, even if she was a hard working ship I enjoyed my two years on her. People thought I was nuts for keep going back.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

non descript
17th November 2006, 18:57
Built 1971, sold 1977 and re-named Lake Arrowhead; 1982 Marcona Pathfinder; 1983 World Pathfinder; 1986 Ocean Sovereign

leo hannan
21st November 2006, 16:37
Built 1971, sold 1977 and re-named Lake Arrowhead; 1982 Marcona Pathfinder; 1983 World Pathfinder; 1986 Ocean Sovereign

Thanks for that info Tonga, it's added to the records.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

non descript
4th December 2006, 17:01
Thanks to Roddy we now have an excellent image in the gallery:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/42222/cat/500/ppuser/9909

(Thumb)

leo hannan
5th December 2006, 12:22
Thanks to Roddy we now have an excellent image in the gallery:

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/42222/cat/500/ppuser/9909

(Thumb)

Well done Roddy.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

steviej
23rd December 2006, 19:31
My son found this ship that I worked on during the 70's. I wonder if anyone else worked on this extremley hard working vessel

steviej

non descript
23rd December 2006, 20:52
Stevie, a warm welcome to you and a Happy Christmas. Thank you for joining the community; enjoy the site and all it has to offer and we very much look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage

peterhale
11th January 2007, 13:50
Hi, I was on the Furness Bridge in about 1973 - working as the Electrician. I did two long trips on the ship and also saw the Sir John Hunter at commisioning stage.

Peter Hale

R58484956
11th January 2007, 13:59
Welcome Peter to the site, thanks for joining the crew and we look forward to your contributions on maritime matters.

gdynia
11th January 2007, 14:00
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy the Voyage

Blackbob
1st September 2007, 20:29
Hi Leo and others
I sailed with you leo on the old FB, and as you say althought it was the hardest working ship I was ever on it was also one of the happiest!!
I have a vague recolection of one of the long breakdowns at sea when we engineers were split into six on six off, a C-Stu passing paper cups of BOT lime juice into the crankcase, then cooking us a fryup at midnight!! those were the days!!
regards Blackbob
juice into

saltyswamp
1st September 2007, 21:14
Hi Gdynia/Tonga
Many thanks for that, I'd forgotten what an ugly bugger she was. Mind you though, even if she was a hard working ship I enjoyed my two years on her. People thought I was nuts for keep going back.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

all ways knew you had a screw loose
stuart

marinero
3rd September 2007, 20:32
all ways knew you had a screw loose
stuart

Hi Stuart.
I represent that remark. It really was a hard working ship, the engineers really had their work cut out. We had to land one Ch.Eng. into a hospital in Japan as the problems down below were cracking him up and he was the spare Ch.Eng. Happy days though and well worth the experience even when some of the deck crew tried to break into the beer locker during breakfast one day.
Regards
(Thumb)

Ian MacD
14th May 2008, 19:21
Anyone around who sailed on the infamous Furness Bridge?

I first joined her in Dampier, Western Australia with Chief Engineer Tony Hetherington who aged 10 years in his 6 months on board. We ran a main bearing in the S. Atlantic on the passage to Europe and myself and Captain Jack Leask - great guy - went on 6 on 6 off in the engine room. I was on with the chief and he taught me how to take leads, amazing. When I think back on it we were as much crisis managers as seafarers.

Who can remember the 6 week repair in Genoa where I was authorised to put the ship 26 feet by the head even though the Loadicator said we were exceeding stillwater bending moments and sheer stresses. Never mind, went to the Monte Carlo Graand Prix with my italian girlfriend Gianna and Superintendent Derek ??? This was followed by drydock in Livorno - trips to Florence etc -then the voyage to Brazil in ballast which resulted in the radiused gunwale cruciform welds opening up and a 6 week stay in Rio.

She was a monster and a disaster that reduced many a fine man to despondency. having said that we lived life to the full as best we could and we did have some good times and a lot of laughs. I remember a fancy dress party I organised and was astonished at the creativity with such limited resources. When the baby faced third mate walked in dressed as an angel (complete with wings) everybody fell about in fits of laughter.

Hope the above rings some bells and jogs some memories. That's what this site is all about, right?
Brgds
Ian(Thumb)

marinero
14th May 2008, 20:12
Hi Ian.
I think the Eng. Supt. Would have been Derek Wyatt who sadly lost his life (so I was told) in the void spaces whilst working for a Malaysian Shipping Co. The baby faced third mate was Mark ??? who I believe is some sort of Port Super. In fact I think there is a photo of him wearing those wings on the site. Like you say Tony Hetherington was a lovely bloke, any idea what became of him.
Regards
Leo (Thumb)

Ian MacD
19th May 2008, 16:24
Hi Leo,
So sorry to hear about Derek Wyatt I really liked him. You are right about the 3rd mate Mark I'll try and find the photo. As for Tony Hetherington I have no idea what became of him, however he was in his late forties early fifties in the early seventies which would make him an ancient mariner today.
Regards
Ian

Tony Herrington
9th June 2008, 12:33
Hi Ian

Very interested to read your observations on and about the FB. If I recall correctly the failure of welds on the sheer strakes, which necessitated us calling into Rio for I.H.I. (Brazil) to repair was when I was on these, and not after lengthy period in Italy when "everything" (?) was "just right". The lengthy repair period in Rio after Italy was for renewal of main engine "top end" bearings. By then I had been "taken-off" the beast that was the FB - presumably to preserve her life...and mine as well.

Any more stories would love to hear.

Tony H

adrian.d
10th July 2008, 23:36
I've posted a few pics in the Gallery of the Furness Bridge Xmas party 1974. A few SN members in them. If I remember rightly we were somewhere in the Indian Ocean en route from Sepetiba Brazil to Kashima Japan via Singapore for bunkers.

Adrian

marinero
11th July 2008, 12:45
I've posted a few pics in the Gallery of the Furness Bridge Xmas party 1974. A few SN members in them. If I remember rightly we were somewhere in the Indian Ocean en route from Sepetiba Brazil to Kashima Japan via Singapore for bunkers.

Adrian

Well Done Adrian.
That brings back a few memories. Young Mark Andrews(If you remember him)the 3rd. Mate is now Harbourmaster at Milford Haven overseeing the new LPG Berths.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
29th October 2008, 17:11
Well Done Adrian.
That brings back a few memories. Young Mark Andrews(If you remember him)the 3rd. Mate is now Harbourmaster at Milford Haven overseeing the new LPG Berths.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

Hi Leo, Theres a picture of the FB in the tanker gallery with a ch/stwd on it. Is it Denis Roche from Wales? I had the famous George Black on the 2nd trip and Lennie F. as 2nd stwd. All the Best Alan.

marinero
30th October 2008, 15:45
Hi Leo, Theres a picture of the FB in the tanker gallery with a ch/stwd on it. Is it Denis Roche from Wales? I had the famous George Black on the 2nd trip and Lennie F. as 2nd stwd. All the Best Alan.

Hi Alan.
I checked out the picture. I never met Dennis Roach so am unable to confirm him. You must have left just before I joined as Lenny was still there as 2nd Steward when I joined and Tom Keaveney was there as Ch. Cook. Mind you though Alan it's so long ago that I'm not sure of my memory being up to scratch any more (What did you say your name was again?
Regards
Leo (Jester)

ALAN TYLER
30th October 2008, 18:08
Hi Alan.
I checked out the picture. I never met Dennis Roach so am unable to confirm him. You must have left just before I joined as Lenny was still there as 2nd Steward when I joined and Tom Keaveney was there as Ch. Cook. Mind you though Alan it's so long ago that I'm not sure of my memory being up to scratch any more (What did you say your name was again?
Regards
Leo (Jester)

Hi Leo,
Thought you might have met Denis sometime. I joined in Lavera in Dec 71 and payed off in Willemshaven in Mar 72.Just the one trip, the Gulf wasn,t for me. I relieved Dave Dunnett, Jimmy Gilzean was skipper, at least that whats stamped in my discharge book! Anyway thanks for stretching the memory cells mate! Off to Cyprus next week for some winter sun.
Take care Alan.

pauldickinson
19th December 2008, 00:40

i sailed with George Black as my Ch Steward, Carlisle born and bred, he was so mean with the stores he was probably Scottish really.

beamish2
10th January 2009, 18:36
Greetings all,
I joined the FB at Haverton Hill sometime in June 1971 when she was at the fitting out berth. The first impression was aweful!! The port bridge wing appeared to dip forward and this was borne out when I saw all the water in the forward end. The ship had bounced on the bottom during the launch and there was some bottom damage. The inclining experiment was done with the ship high and dry. The ship sailed for Cape Town with a load of welders on board. After leaving Haverton Hill, ballast trials were started in the North Sea but then the trouble started. Splits appeared in the tanks. We went to Belfast for dry dock repairs to tanks and bottom damage. Then more trials and thence to Greenock for more repairs. I think we must have sailed about end of July for Capetown. Arrival Capetown was exciting as the engine took off at full speed as we approached. Somehow we managed to load a cargo in the Gulf and I left at Milford Haven mid Oct '71. Never so glad to see the back of a ship. A few years later I seem to remember seeing her at anchor somewhere in the Gulf with palm bolts sheared and the rudder hanging off. I am amazed to hear that she survived for so long!!

ccurtis1
10th January 2009, 18:46
Was John Mulligan the Master of the Furness Bridge during the build and subsequent maiden voyage?

BOB.WHITTAKER
17th November 2009, 10:41
One story I heard regards the Furness Bridge , probably a myth as these things usualy are :- The chief was showing a group made up of two wives and also a senior member of the crew around the engineroom .Whilst on the bottom plates starboard side he described the function and purpose of the fresh water generator . They then moved up a level to the diesel generator flat ,the chief said "here we have the diesel generators". To which an accented male voice was heard to say in wonderment "Ai make your own diesel too chief " . Can anyone confirm !!!!!!

non descript
17th November 2009, 10:57
Was John Mulligan the Master of the Furness Bridge during the build and subsequent maiden voyage?

I am not sure, but I know Captain Mulligan was a particularly pleasant and charming man; and a good Ship's Master as well.

merrymagpie
17th November 2009, 13:04
One story I heard regards the Furness Bridge , probably a myth as these things usualy are :- The chief was showing a group made up of two wives and also a senior member of the crew around the engineroom .Whilst on the bottom plates starboard side he described the function and purpose of the fresh water generator . They then moved up a level to the diesel generator flat ,the chief said "here we have the diesel generators". To which an accented male voice was heard to say in wonderment "Ai make your own diesel too chief " . Can anyone confirm !!!!!!

When I heard this story,it was a 'wee' Scots gentleman. Is that the same one you are thinking about Bob?

Mike

BOB.WHITTAKER
17th November 2009, 13:31
MIKE, same man same story !! BOB

ccurtis1
17th November 2009, 16:41
I am not sure, but I know Captain Mulligan was a particularly pleasant and charming man; and a good Ship's Master as well.

John tragically succumbed to Alzheimers some time ago. We were superintendants , he marine, I engineering, in the same company at one stage. A true gentleman of the old school

Geoff Clode
17th November 2009, 17:01
Hi If you log on to Swan Hunters Haverton Hill there is a view from the F.B. Looking down on the Tyne Bridges keel just being laid.

non descript
17th November 2009, 17:21
Hi If you log on to Swan Hunters Haverton Hill there is a view from the F.B. Looking down on the Tyne Bridges keel just being laid.

Thanks Geoff, the link the ship is here (http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/swanhaverton/furnessbridge1971.htm) and the link for the yard is here (http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/swanhaverton/aalist.htm)

Bombersman
17th November 2009, 17:36
John tragically succumbed to Alzheimers some time ago. We were superintendants , he marine, I engineering, in the same company at one stage. A true gentleman of the old school

I was very sorry to hear this. Captain Mulligan was the last master that I sailed with in 1966/7 on The Bidford Priory before I came ashore. His wife was good company for my wife, as, in those days only the captain, mate, chief engineer and second engineer were allowed to take their wives to sea with them.

Bob W.

marinero
18th November 2009, 19:20
Thanks Geoff, the link the ship is here (http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/swanhaverton/furnessbridge1971.htm) and the link for the yard is here (http://www.teesbuiltships.co.uk/swanhaverton/aalist.htm)

Geoff/Tonga.

Thanks for those links, absolutely spot on, more for my collection.

Regards (Thumb)

ALAN TYLER
20th November 2009, 11:17

I sailed on the FB on its 2nd voyage in Dec 71 and the Master was J Gilzean my discharge book states. Lavera to the Gulf and back to Willemshaven. So I would imagine he was the Master on the maiden voyage. Regards Alan T.

Geoff Clode
21st November 2009, 14:50

Thanks Tonga, I Had just paid off Houlders on the Ocean Transport in Avonmouth, been tramping. Thought the sea wasnt for me, so started in the yard on the Furness Bridge, who am I kidding! the sea doesnt let go just like that! Them photos brought the yard back to life for me! Cheers(Thumb)

BOB.WHITTAKER
22nd November 2009, 13:29
Was Jack De Lima on The Furness Bridge ?

steam train
22nd November 2009, 22:23
Hello Bob,

Yes Jack did sail on the Furness bridge.I met him when did a stint on drilling rig Kingsnorth U.k.When it was working of the coast of Tunnisia,1979.He was a chief mechanic on the rig.Also there was Jimmy Jones,a Chief Enginner when at sea.I was on the rig with Gordon Morcon to rebuild a Bergen Generator.Having just stepped of The Clerk Maxwell after a 7 month trip as
3rd Enginner.

Regards Steam Train

SPS
29th November 2009, 15:48
Was Jack De Lima on The Furness Bridge ?Now there is a name out of the hat,A very ile do it my way Sinatra type of fellow.(Cloud)

R58484956
29th November 2009, 17:25
Greetings SPS and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.