Tankers in Methil

notnila
23rd December 2006, 21:44
In the mid/late 1950s I remember a couple of BP tankers laid up in Methil Dock.Anyone know what ships and why Methil?

Graham Wallace
25th January 2007, 01:27
Hi Notnila,
I never thought I would have my moment of 'fame'. I joined the British Empress as a first trip Engineer Apprentice 5th Sept 1958 and left her after finishing a laying up process in Methil on 28th March 1959. I really wanted that engine room clock, but was very low on the totem pole. According to my copy of 'The British Tankers' She was subsequently broken up at Rosyth in 1961.

We were doing lots of runs Grangemouth to Scandinavia and the Nav apprentices being decidedly underpaid decided to collect all the empty Tuborg bottles and sell them back to the brewery in Copenhagen. First few times all went well then they were a little shocked when orders came out of the blue to layup in Methil. I presume the Mate made them dispose of their secreted stock of 'empties'. I remember seeing cases and cases floating away aft and there were a lot!! J.M.Illingworth and G Macmillan were the N/A's
Tony Lowson was a young Chief Engineer at the time and Frazer 2/E. I run a BP Marine Engineering Apprentices website and now database for all BP seagoing personnel and located Tony Lowson in retirement in Spain a few years ago.

I had the same question years ago, Oh God,why Methil!!!

I have no idea the name of the other ship, I have no recollection if there was another at that same time.

Graham Wallace

zelo1954
25th January 2007, 02:06
A bit off the point, but I have a printed photo which probably originated on Riversea of a number of stored laden BP tankers in the River Fal. This was as a fall-back in case the Suez crisis got out of hand. There were a number of WW2 standard type Blue Funnel vessels laid up alongside.

The BP vessels in my photo are: BRITISH SUCCESS, BRITISH MARQUIS, BRITISH HARMONY, BRITISH EARL, BRITISH SUPREMACY, BRITISH MARSHAL, BRITISH HOLLY, BRITISH LANCER. Also ANDROS FIGHTER

John_F
25th January 2007, 18:42
In the mid/late 1950s I remember a couple of BP tankers laid up in Methil Dock.Anyone know what ships and why Methil?
Notnila,
The British Ensign was the other BP tanker laid up at Methil. She arrived there on February 24th 1959. She remained there until August 1961, arriving in tow at Rosyth on August 29th 1961 for demolition by Shipbreaking Industries Ltd.
Kind regards,
John F.

notnila
27th January 2007, 00:41
Absolutely brilliant!!All good things come to those who wait! The bonus was the reference to the "British Earl". I joined her in Grangemouth,first trip Pantry Boy,2 ports in Norway,first Drovak?? or something similar,and Stavanger then River Fal for Lay up.As I've remarked on another thread, it was the first time I'd seen anyone eat Kedgeree or curry for BREAKFAST!! Scarred me for life!! Cheers Arch.