Bangkok & Permina Samundra

douglasjamesmichael
24th December 2006, 12:58
Do any of you old salts out there have any memories of the Bangkok - port of registry Bangkok - she was an Ex French Shell Tanker - the first time I sailed with a Bedet - "Beday"....

Orcadian
24th December 2006, 17:51
I sailed on that ship as my second trip to sea many years ago/ She was the ex french shell tanker Isocardia. originally about 30,000 tonnes and jumboised to about 60,000 with the original stern still on her. Big of a pig of a ship but a happy ship. She still had loads of wine on her when i joined. Glass of wine with the evening meal until it ran out. Rough but you got used to it.
I do have some pictures of her some where that I will post when i get round to scanning them

douglasjamesmichael
24th December 2006, 22:09
I sailed on that ship as my second trip to sea many years ago/ She was the ex french shell tanker Isocardia. originally about 30,000 tonnes and jumboised to about 60,000 with the original stern still on her. Big of a pig of a ship but a happy ship. She still had loads of wine on her when i joined. Glass of wine with the evening meal until it ran out. Rough but you got used to it.
I do have some pictures of her some where that I will post when i get round to scanning them

Thank you Mr Sclater

From the person you do not remember......Remember "Jaws" !!!!!!!!!!?
C/E John Deacon
S/e Bob Johnston & Brenda + Christopher
P&O Bob + Constance
Third Eng Dave Aichison
Fourth Engr Ian Powrie
Fourth Engr Norman Smith
Fifth Engr JAWS - Me........

Remember....

Dougie Michael

Orcadian
24th December 2006, 23:58
Sorry mate I remember all the rest of the people that you mention but I do not remember you. That seems to really bug you. I dont remember everyone that I sailed with and I guess that you must be one that I dont remember.

Ian Brown
27th June 2010, 07:09
I was Second Mate on her with C/O J.Wright and later C/O Hugh Davies. Think it was Capt. Jack Chinnery.
Because the original hull grafted on aft of the new 'jumbo' section had less beam she was directionally unstable and too much for the original (small) rudder and auto pilot to handle.
So she constantly yawed back and forth. If there was a ship a point on either bow you had to put a man on the wheel to steer something like a steady course.
We did the drydock in Marseilles complete with Mistrall nearly blowing us off the wet dock berth.
Does anyone remember the coffin under the midships accomodation?
That did not go down well with the Chinese crew.

Hugh Ferguson
27th June 2010, 09:19
Do any of you old salts out there have any memories of the Bangkok - port of registry Bangkok - she was an Ex French Shell Tanker - the first time I sailed with a Bedet - "Beday"....

"Bidet".. I remember that pig of a ship, I piloted her to Shellhaven once, when she was French, not much puff. Same power for twice the deadweight.

michaelF
27th June 2010, 23:24
I sailed on the Siam as second mate 74/75 over christmas , wasnt she the sister ship to the Bangkok ? In my ships pictures i have her (Siam) listed as ex Isocardia , what was her former name , anyone know.

I think that trip on her was one of the most memorable of my seagoing life ,will have to tell all at some stage .

mike

randcmackenzie
28th June 2010, 00:48
She must have been Isomeria.

bobs
28th June 2010, 01:12
It was ISOCARDIA; became BANGKOK in 1973; scrapped Kaohsiung, Taiwan 1976.

michaelF
28th June 2010, 10:15
She must have been Isomeria

Thanks for that , will have to find the correct picture now.

mike

Ian Brown
28th June 2010, 15:08
First time I saw Bangkok was when we tied up outside her in a repair yard in Singapore.
We were on the Naess Endeavour (Capt. French) having a boiler replaced after a big carbon fire in it.
She was still under French Shell and called Isocardia. Our Engineers were impressed by the French Engineers blue boiler suit with diagonal zips!
Little did we know we would soon be sailing on her.
She had the only free flow cargo system I ever came across.
No cargo pipes in the tanks (apart from loading drop lines). She had hydraulic sliding doors from wings into center tanks and then at the aft end of center tanks to the one behind and so on until the aft most center tank had 4 short suctions directly from the cargo pumps.
Work well for discharging as long as you got the stagger/sequence right.
No sissy stuff like IG or tank gauges.

randcmackenzie
28th June 2010, 23:45
Not so Ian, certainly no IG, but remember the pneumatic mercury tank gauges in the little pumpman's control room on the maindeck stbd side under the midships house?
There were draft gauges of the same type there too - I have another story about them.

They had a rubber graduation which you stretched to suit the density. (Nae nae kidding).

The bulkhead valve controls were there too I think.

Were you and I not together for a wee while on the Al Dhafrah?

Jim Scott was the mate for some of that Dhafrah trip.

Best Regards,

Roddie MacKenzie.

Ian Brown
29th June 2010, 05:39
Hello Roddie,
I hope you are keeping well.
We did sail together on the Al Dhafrah.
Was it when we put into Cape Town to have a new top hat fitted on the boiler uptake?

Unfortunately my old Discharge Book was stolen in Italy so I am a bit hazy about dates but I also remember Jim Scott (ex BP I think) patiently explaining C/Off stuff to me on Al Dhafrah.
Just as well because I came back as 1st trip C/Off right after in the usual Denholm 'throw them in the deep end' arrangement.

I had forgotten those mercury gauges in the Bangkok's hydraulic valve control room.
Some very radical French design thinking went into that ship.
I wonder what happened to the Thai trainee Officers?

von zippa
9th August 2011, 19:43
i sailed on the bangkok 1974 then 1976 and the siam in 1976 as 3 rd engineer those two ships were two of the worst ships i ever sailed on and i did serve on quite a few ships, there were thai trainees , but not very good (at least while i was there) if any one could send me photos i would be grateful.

michaelF
12th August 2011, 21:16
This is the only one i could find Eric

mike