Lady Charrington

notnila
24th December 2006, 20:40
In the early 1960s I did a few months in this ship,about which ,in another thread I described ,maybe unkindly ,as"the ugliest ship on the North East Coal Trade".Would anyone out there have a photo of her,just to confirm it?

notnila
23rd February 2007, 23:01
I told you she was an ugly ***** of a ship!Evidently even her owners,Charrington,Gardiner and Locket, didn't order a photo of her!!!

dom
23rd February 2007, 23:07
talking of ugly ships,that cunard cargo ship with the two funnels takes some beating,forget the name now,used to get into surry commercial docks.

notnila
23rd February 2007, 23:46
Dom,wait until Ruud digs "Lady Charrington" out of the shoebox!!! Regards Arch.

Aldinga
24th February 2007, 08:04
Hi notnila
This is courtesy of “Merchant Ships British Built 1952” by Adlard Coles, as you can see they could not get hold of a photograph the Lady Charrington either.

Ron

notnila
24th February 2007, 22:33
She looks a lot better as a blueprint than I remember her as a ship!! Thanks for that Ron . Regards Arch

ruud
25th February 2007, 10:10
Ahoy,
As the piccie isn't of a good quality, she looks even worse.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/3125/ladycharingtonmediumyi8.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ladycharingtonmediumyi8.jpg)

dom
25th February 2007, 10:35
not to bad,beauty is in the eye of the beholder

bert thompson
25th February 2007, 17:12
Seem to recall that thre was a "hump" central wheelhouse running fore and aft. Similar to the bump in the old rear drive cars. Is my memory correct? Think she was prettier than the other company's ship "John Charrington"

notnila
25th February 2007, 21:02
Actually she looks better from the outside looking in,than from the inside looking out believe me!!!Thanks Ruud I knew you'd come up with the goods. Also received photo by Email from Kenlin39.Thanks everyone. Regards Arch

Anderskane
26th February 2007, 19:52
Hello notnila, ahoy Ruud,I was looking at some old magazines to-day and in Ships Monthly 7/1984 (80p then - more than £3 now !), theres a very similar photo to Ruuds, (Same angle but different day, Fresher painted) with as much smoke. She carries the collier reporting no. 87 on monkey island, regards Ken.

notnila
26th February 2007, 21:43
Seem to recall that thre was a "hump" central wheelhouse running fore and aft. Similar to the bump in the old rear drive cars. Is my memory correct? Think she was prettier than the other company's ship "John Charrington"
Don't remember "John Charrington",I vaguely remember seeing a picture of her at one time.Didn,t seem to be a great difference between them.The story from the old hands was that in the 50s Charringtons turned up at the builders with the same blueprint saying,"Build us another just like this!" Regards Arch.

amboman88
5th March 2007, 20:22
Cracked it. Here is JOHN CHARRINGTON hurtling through Newcastle swing bridge on its way up to Dunston Staithes. Still looking for my picture of LADY CHARRINGTON

notnila
5th March 2007, 22:07
Your right Amboman88,there is a big difference.Now that is an ugly "B"!!!

John Briggs
5th March 2007, 22:27
They don't look too bad to me. Not pretty ships but as colliers go nothing too dreadful!

notnila
5th March 2007, 22:38
Maybe I'm biased towards the next generation of colliers,having also sailed in "Gosport" & "WJH Wood". Regards Arch

wa002f0328
9th March 2007, 20:50
Had the misfortune to sign on the John Charrington, what a b------, survived 2 weeks, nothing more to be said she was a B------, from start to finish. that was in 1959 Tyne- Ipswich- tyne OFF.

notnila
9th March 2007, 23:35
Had the misfortune to sign on the John Charrington, what a b------, survived 2 weeks, nothing more to be said she was a B------, from start to finish. that was in 1959 Tyne- Ipswich- tyne OFF.
So when did Charringtons decide to send her to the breakers? I first went on the coast in 1962 and don't recall seeing her although I remember seeing photo of her.

wa002f0328
10th March 2007, 07:32
Hi Notnila,can,t recall when she was taken out of service, it must have been in the 60,s, she was a real wreck,had the nickname Greyhound of north east coast, we all lived under the focastle head and on top of that the bosun bred budgies,was glad to get off.

notnila
10th March 2007, 20:33
A Bosun with budgies? The mind boggles!!!

wa002f0328
11th March 2007, 12:10
A Bosun with budgies? The mind boggles!!!

Hi Notnila
Have an excellant book about colliers called THE STEAM COLLIER FLEETS, by J.A. Macrae & C.V. Waine, Mr Macrae was skipper of Sir Joseph Swan, and I think he ended his career on the Hackney, unfortunatley he passed away before the book was sent to press, on refering to book , both Lady & John were scrapped in 1969, and John had it,s nickname, because she held the record of doing London To Blyth in 25 hours, her speed was 10.5 knots.(Thumb)

notnila
11th March 2007, 23:15
I know when I was in the "Lady" Charringtons was a one ship company.Don't suppose the "John" had been either laid up or sold on at that time? regards Arch

notnila
11th March 2007, 23:18
hOW COME "SENIOR MEMBER" HAS JUST APPEARED BELOW MY MONICAR????

Ron Stringer
11th March 2007, 23:33
hOW COME "SENIOR MEMBER" HAS JUST APPEARED BELOW MY MONICAR????
Nothing to do with your age! Check your profile and you will see that you have made 101 posts on the site. When you post 100 times you become a Senior Member. Congratulations, keep 'em coming.

notnila
12th March 2007, 23:08
I've never been"senior" anything in my life.At the moment I'm busy fighting senior citizenship.I still think I can climb trees!!!

stephano
15th March 2007, 13:52
in the early fifties john charrington was known as the north sea ghost.
alan

Chistine Lumsdon
4th March 2008, 22:16
In the early 1960s I did a few months in this ship,about which ,in another thread I described ,maybe unkindly ,as"the ugliest ship on the North East Coal Trade".Would anyone out there have a photo of her,just to confirm it?
Do you have any further information about life onboard the lady charrington? My grandfather Robert Purvis was the skipper in the 50's and 60's and wondered if you had any unusual stories from that time!
Christine Lumsdon nee Purvis

albert.s.i
6th March 2008, 14:17
hi lads, i remember the john charrington the only collier to pass flamborough head twice in one day and not a bit like the lady,john had a counter stern like most colliers in the old days. john was the greyhound of the north east coast, ugly!! they were old ladys albert.s.i

wa002f0328
6th March 2008, 19:32
Your right there Albert I sailed on her, What a B------, to say the least

Bill (Tynemouth) (Thumb)

notnila
8th March 2008, 23:41
Do you have any further information about life onboard the lady charrington? My grandfather Robert Purvis was the skipper in the 50's and 60's and wondered if you had any unusual stories from that time!
Christine Lumsdon nee Purvis
Hi Christine,
I remember one particular trip,northbound to Blyth from the London River.Fine weather off Flamborough Head when an A/B came down off the wheel and said"We're doing 10 knots, the Old Man's on the bridge wing with his hat back to front and wearing goggles!"
On a more serious note,loaded and ready to sail from Blyth with a pretty fierce Nor'easterly blowing we waited most of the day for it to abate,(apparently the Pilot wasn't too keen to take us out),All of a sudden"Toot Toot"we're off,dropped the pilot inside the breakwater,and out into it. I think the next few minutes were the scariest of my time at sea.Later word came round,as it does on board,that Captain Purvis had received a call from the owners to"take her out or we'll send someone else who will".I believe he didn't have long until he retired,and I've always thought it dispicible to put anyone under that kind of pressure.I do think that it's only due to Bob Purvis' skill as a seafarer that I am able to share these memories with you.Sorry to be so melodramatic,I'm not usually,I think it may be due to an overdose of Guiness!!

michael higgins
27th March 2008, 14:18
anyone remember an old mate of mine ,mel carr.he was chief steward on lady charrington for about 6 years.he took her to the breakers yard then spent the rest of his time with stevie clarkes.

joebuckham
27th March 2008, 15:06
talking of ugly ships,that cunard cargo ship with the two funnels takes some beating,forget the name now,used to get into surry commercial docks.

hi dom
just happened on your post from a long time ago.
i think the twin funnel cunard cargo ship(s)? you were referring to were the alsatia and andria bought 1951 from silver line ex silverplane and silverbriar respectively. built j. l. thompsons sunderland 1948. they then became union freedom and union faith, the latter, i believe, collided with a petrol barge on the mississippi in 1969 and was burnt out.

the for'd funnel housed the wheelhouse and chart room

georgeretired
1st April 2008, 21:11
I sailed in Lady Charrington in the 60's and I did not think of her as an ugly ship. I sailed in uglier motor ships at about that time. The John Charrington was known as the greyhound of the North East as she could pass Flambrough Head going North, load her cargo in Blyth and pass Flambrough going South in under 24 hours. She was scrapped in the latter end of the 50's.

notnila
2nd April 2008, 22:02
anyone remember an old mate of mine ,mel carr.he was chief steward on lady charrington for about 6 years.he took her to the breakers yard then spent the rest of his time with stevie clarkes.

It was Mel Carr I sailed with the few months I was in her.Is he still to the fore?
BestRegards
Arch

michael higgins
3rd April 2008, 19:33
hi arch,just to let you know mel carr is still going strong,he's turned 80 now but is still as fit as a fiddle.

notnila
3rd April 2008, 22:23
He can't be 80! He was only around 40 when I sailed with him 39 years ago!!!

Chistine Lumsdon
19th June 2008, 20:22
hi notnila
Thanks for your memories of life onboard the lady charrington they were fascinating. My grandad Bob Purvis died when I was only 3 years of age so it is really interesting to hear these stories. If you hear of anything else that you think would be of interest please let me know.
Thanks again
Christine

notnila
23rd June 2008, 22:32
You,re very welcome Christine.I didn,t see your posting until now.Too much footie on the tele!!

notnila
25th July 2008, 21:58
A very evocative picture of her"on the ground"at Woolwich Power Station in the 60's, in next months(August)"Sea Breezes".
I may even have been in her then,Captain Bob Purvis certainly was.

Albert Bishop
3rd August 2008, 18:57
Did a brief run as reliefcook on the Lady C, November 62, Coal burning galley stove was a novelty. Remember just giving the somali firemen Two loaves of bread, a load of veg and a lump of rib beef each day to cook their own grub. Dont remember a lot more about her, but I only did a couple of trips. Cheers Albi.

Allan Gallop
31st August 2008, 15:37
Hello every one, my name is Allan Gallop, i came over this web site whilst looking for the Lady Charrington. My Farther who had the same name as me was Bosun on her running out of Blyth in the early 60s, i remember being taken around her by my farther when she was in Blyth. i still remember the smells and the pollished wood, anyone remember him? he died in jan 07 back home in Brisbaine, im trying to find out about his life, the bits we didnt see. Thanks.

billyjan
4th March 2009, 13:05
hi allan,i was on the lady and the john charrington in the early fifties, the john was called the Blyth greyhound ,the captain was chipchase ,iwas on her for nine months,ilater joined the lady in 57. captain Purvis was her old man at that time, cant tell you much more ,cant remember the bosun, i liked the ship it was ten times better than the john. regards billy

B.Nicholson
30th May 2009, 23:51
"Lady Charriington" nothing wrong with her . She was just an every day average collier. I was on her as AB Jan to March 68. In fact had me wife to be onboard in South Dock, Sunderland. She left very happy,I sailed away rejoicing.
Bob