Caltex

Joe Whelan
26th December 2006, 11:14
Looking for details of a Caltex tanker of approx. 600 g.t. stationed at Djoubiti during the period 1953/1954. She was used for bunkering during the construction of shore storage tanks. During my time in the Caltex Singapore we made a couple of voyages to Djoubiti.

Terri75
4th June 2008, 21:14
I do know that my grandad was on a tanker called Caltex Adelaide.

T xx

KenLin39
4th June 2008, 22:28
Hello Joe. Link to Texaco site below. Has photos of Caltex tankers. Ken.

http://www.tota.co.uk/index.php?page=1

RO Vintage
4th June 2008, 23:45
Hello

Anyone Sail On The "Caltex Plymouth" Around 1966/67 ? We DryDocked
In malta Where I met The Love Of My Life !!! I Thought So, But It Never
Came To Pass.

Nice Pic Of The Plymouth. Happy Days

RO Vintage George Savage (Ex Marconi)

joller6
5th June 2008, 00:11
Hello Joe,
By the sounds of your post you are looking for one of the Mini Tankers by Caltex,as that grt is very small.
Most of the Caltex Tankers were a lot larger than that!
However there were a few Mini Tankers and just to name one "Caltex Whitegate"
So ig you look at this site there are 1 or 2 that may be what you are after.
Hope this assists/
Cheers
joller6

http://www.photoship.co.uk/

joan martin
20th December 2008, 14:23
Hello

Anyone Sail On The "Caltex Plymouth" Around 1966/67 ? We DryDocked
In malta Where I met The Love Of My Life !!! I Thought So, But It Never
Came To Pass.

Nice Pic Of The Plymouth. Happy Days

RO Vintage George Savage (Ex Marconi)

did you ever find her,ive been looking for old b/f who was working for calex for years now since my hubby passed on,by any chance did you know him,his name is victor brown,he was from Belfast,
kind regards joan martin

RO Vintage
22nd January 2010, 16:08
Hello Joan

Forgive The Reply Taking So Long, I Missed Your Message Fool Am I
Sorry Joan, Victor Is In My Memory, ButThey Are Fading Fast. Sorry I Cant
Be More Helpful.

I Am Trying To Trace Don McKaskell 2/Mate Did You Ever Hear His Name
Mentioned?

Regards

George

japottinger
11th March 2010, 19:30
Anyone out there who sailed on Caltex Edinburgh on maiden voyage out of Scotts' of Greenock. I served quite a few months of my eng. apprenticeship on her when fitting out at Greenock.

sheepknowe
15th June 2014, 15:18
Anyone out there who sailed on Caltex Edinburgh on maiden voyage out of Scotts' of Greenock. I served quite a few months of my eng. apprenticeship on her when fitting out at Greenock.
hi sailed on Edinburgh on maiden voyage as engr. cadet . chief was Minchener, capt Curling
the engine room was the warmest of all the Caltex fleet.

sheepknowe
15th June 2014, 15:33
Looking for details of a Caltex tanker of approx. 600 g.t. stationed at Djoubiti during the period 1953/1954. She was used for bunkering during the construction of shore storage tanks. During my time in the Caltex Singapore we made a couple of voyages to Djoubiti.
I believe ship was Caltex Genouss [unsure of spelling]

Ian6
15th June 2014, 21:12
I 'stood by' Cx Edinburgh when she was fitting out at Scotts Yard and then sailed on her for the first 6 months as a Deck Apprentice. The other Deck App was Ken Appleton from Hull. In a diary from that long distant time I have that the two Eng Apps were named McKinnes and Clark.

I enjoyed the time at the shipyard and the accommodation on board once we sailed was very good but she was not a particularly happy ship, perhaps due to Capt Curling and C/O Rees. I much preferred the atmosphere aboard the older T2's.

Ian

Joe Whelan
16th June 2014, 15:24
I believe ship was Caltex Genouss [unsure of spelling]
Hi Sheepknowe, At last someone who remembers the vessel. I am not sure of the spelling but we used to call her "Caltex Ginhouse". Have you any more details . Joe.

sheepknowe
16th June 2014, 16:22
Hi Sheepknowe, At last someone who remembers the vessel. I am not sure of the spelling but we used to call her "Caltex Ginhouse". Have you any more details . Joe.
originally ran between Aden and Djibouti and was possibly one of four motorsships built originally for Dutch flag.

CALTEX PAKANBARU , CEBU ,DELFT ,SCHEVENGEN

Joe Whelan
17th June 2014, 13:39
originally ran between Aden and Djibouti and was possibly one of four motorsships built originally for Dutch flag.

CALTEX PAKANBARU , CEBU ,DELFT ,SCHEVENGEN

From my research she was not one of them. British officers and Chinese crew. Have you any other details. Joe

sheepknowe
18th June 2014, 10:32
From my research she was not one of them. British officers and Chinese crew. Have you any other details. Joe
sorry no other info .I did sail with a 3rd engineer called Spence who had served aboard the vessel on Djibouti/Aden run but that was in 1955 and I would think that he has passed away by now. He never spoke about ship just complained about general conditions.

Joe Whelan
20th June 2014, 14:59
sorry no other info .I did sail with a 3rd engineer called Spence who had served aboard the vessel on Djibouti/Aden run but that was in 1955 and I would think that he has passed away by now. He never spoke about ship just complained about general conditions.
Thanks for the update. Will continue the search. Joe