Brian Twyman
27th December 2006, 02:55
Hi

Any of you guys out there ex-RNZN ?
I was there 1966-77.

Brian(Wave)

lagerstedt
28th December 2006, 07:18
I there Brian. I was there in the 60's. Mainly on the Lachlan.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt

Brian Twyman
28th December 2006, 11:19
Hi Blair

Then you will remember Darby Munro and 'Bubbles Monro' and you will have seen a lot of seatime between North Cape & Whangarei ?\

Cheers
Brian

lagerstedt
29th December 2006, 08:21
I do remember thoses names. Also Tony Sayers, the SR1. I also met the nafi manager years later at Trenthem Army base who said that he (Tony) got into a bit of trouble State side. Don't know how true the story was. Also served with Cris Goby, I think his name was. He was on loan from the RN. We upset his 1st wedding anniversary by hitting a rock off whitianga. We were on the Tarapunga. Some great time on the Lachlan and some sad ones, especialy when we were looking for survivors off the MV Maranui. Also a Lt George, not sure if he is the same one, but read about a commodore or Admiral George who is or was until recenly still serving.

Regards
Blair.

Brian Twyman
29th December 2006, 18:53
Hi again Blair

Lt. Gil George at that time was my neighbour, he and his wife were a nice couple. I met him again a few years ago, he had longtime left the Navy and became a civvy surveyor in Tauranga I think.

I also spent 10 years at RNZN Hydrographic Office ( now the NZDF Joint Geospatial Support Facility ) producing NZ Notices to Mariners. It all went slowly downhill for RNZN Survey branch once Land Information NZ took over responsibility for hydrography in 1998. But they now have Resolution which is very well equipped and continue to survey on contract to LINZ.

Cheers
Brian

lagerstedt
30th December 2006, 09:14
Sad to see the H branch has but gone. they were good days with some interesting projects. The Tri Angulation Survey of Milford Sound, the one you mentioned around North Cape, using 2 Radio TX's, one on the East side of the Cape and one on the West side then head out to sea for a hundred or so NM taking fixes every minute or so and a re-survey of Apia Harbour up in Samoa. And all done using a sounding board, sharp pencils, yards of tracing paper of many grades, slide rules and sextons as well as radio signals and a kick in the butt if your plots were out, as you had to go back and start the run again. No Computers, No GPS, And the only Calculator you had access to is the one we have attached to our shoulders.

Cheers
Blair

Brian Twyman
30th December 2006, 10:19
Blair

That is why I stayed in General Service !! (Gleam)

These days they all sit at computer screens, both at sea and also at JGSF compiling the charts. With the multibeam sounder they can run their lines much further apart, but they also have to produce three dimensional profiles as well.

But I had some good times with the surveyors and the staff.. sometimes I miss the contact...and the pay !

Happy New Year to you and yours

Brian

Allan Wareing
31st December 2006, 10:59
Helo again Brian,
Although not RNZN - as you know - I had the privilage and pleasure of sailing in Lachlan with Darby and Bubbles on two occasions to ' further my hydrographic knowledge '. I was on board her on that filthy night which Blair mentions whilst looking for Maranui.
Cheers, Allan

lagerstedt
1st January 2007, 07:55
Hi Allen.

The mid 1960's - so long ago - am trying to put a face to your name. Great to see another Lachlan crewman on board SN. For a while there I thought I was the only ex RNZN person on board the good ship SN.
The two Munro's, yes I got on with them well. One was IW Munro and the other was IS Munro, one had 3 rings on his sleeve and the other had two and a half, CO and XO of the "Ghost of the Coast, Work Horse of the Navy" as they called us. The other ships in the RNZN were cruise ships!.
I was one of the SR's on board the Lachlan.
The WX while looking for the Maranui from memory was not the best, I think were were sheltering behind Murcury Island when the call came through.

All the best for the New Year

Regards
Blair

Allan Wareing
2nd January 2007, 08:54
Hi Blair,
I'll try to jog your memory, You'd have seen me watchkeeping on the bridge. You may even been on the other sextant on the few occasions when Darby took his courage in both hands and actally let me drive.
My background is that I was Mate and then Master of the ' old ' Tui in the early 60;s and at that time, between other jobs, we were doing some preliminary survey work for the ' Droggie 'of the day Commander W,Smith.
( N.E. approaches to the North Island and some work off Fjiordland )
Following his detailed instructions we made our own charts, plotting sheets and sounding boards. We had all the gear on board, beam compasses,straight-edges scales etc.
For our own work we made our own plotting sheets and always used HSA's for fixing whenever possible and this is how I got so hooked on Hydrographic Surveying. How I managed to con my way on to Lachlan is another story. Will root among the old shoe-boxes to see if I can find some extracts of the period that might interest you. Cheers, Allan.

lagerstedt
13th January 2007, 09:24
Hi Allen,

I have attached a couple of Photos of the Lachlan in Dusky and Milford Sounds. We were at anchor opposite the Milford Hotel in the Milford Sound Photo. The third one is of Bowan Falls which you may remember.

Regrads
Blair