TSS Perthshire

Dave437
28th December 2006, 19:57
Does anyone out there remember the old Perthshire? Built in 1936 she was sister to the Clan Macarther and the Clan Macaulay. The former was sunk in a Malta convoy (I believe) but the latter was still around when I was 3rd Mate on the Perthshire. We spent most of our time on the South African fruit trade, general cargo outwards and citrus or deciduous fruit, depending on the season, homeward. Yet any of the Clan Line sites don't seem to mention her, I'm getting quite paranoid about it!(MAD)

Banni
28th December 2006, 21:44
I don't remember it but have some info on it and its demise if you want it.

R58484956
29th December 2006, 13:24
SS Perthshire 10496 tons built 1936 by Greenock Dockyard Co; Official Number 164087. 477.1 x 66.2 x 40.2. Twin 6 cylinder up & downer with 2 LP turbines DR geared & hydraulic coupling to two screw shafts. Engines built by NE Marine, Newcastle. DF, ESD, GyC. Code flags GYWK. Registered Glasgow British flag. Owned by Scottish Shire Line (Turnbull Martin & Co Ltd. Managers) 3 decks Cruiser stern

Banni
29th December 2006, 16:22
wait ..... there's more:

Jan 1960: In the Mersey she rammed and sank a tug.
Oct 1963: Laid up in Queens Dock, Glasgow for disposal.
1964; renamed Borias by Margalante Cia, Pireaus, for one loaded voyage out to the far east. July: Left gdansk on her last voyage.
Dec 1964: Arrived at Shikama, Kobe for scrapping

Dave437
29th December 2006, 22:46
Hello R58484956 and Banni, thanks for the reply.The tug was the "Applegarth" which was attempting to get hold of a head rope (Which they must have done thousands of times before) but somehow she got herself across the bow of the Perthshire and got rolled over. A few days later a docker in Birkenhead was killed when his clothing caught in the winch he was operating while lifting dunnage. I joined her a couple of days after the latter occurence. At the barbers a day or so later, I overheard a conversation when she was called "a killer ship", I didn't declare my origins!
Her engines were twin triple expansion with Baur Wach (Spelling?) turbines and a splendid washing machine piston connected to the port engine which plunged into a 40 gall drum. Very efficient! She had eight scotch boilers which meant she had to carry a Boilermaker (who was a Hearts fanatic!). But all in all she was a lovely old ship, I met my Wife on her in Glasgow KGV. Ahh.
THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!!!
Dave

japottinger
13th July 2007, 18:51
Am curious about the washing machine piston!

notnila
14th July 2007, 00:10
Am curious about the washing machine piston!
YEAH!! The mind boggles!!!

Cisco
15th July 2007, 12:44
Passed her maybe a few cables off somewhere in the South Atlantic in mid 63, we were bound north, she south, impressive sight.

Story I heard was that she could burn either oil or coal....don't know if that was true or not.

vectiscol
20th July 2007, 23:23
Was Perthshire the Clan Liner that had a boiler explosion or similar disaster, and was laid up near the dockhead at Southampton for months, late 50's - early 60's?

sammywright
30th December 2012, 18:48
would you remember me i was the chippie on the Perthshire from 1962-1963. i am from belfast

sam wright

kilo whisky
10th October 2013, 11:59
would you remember me i was the chippie on the Perthshire from 1962-1963. i am from belfast

sam wright
yes,I. remember you - I was cadet there- you never took a shower for months & ALWAYS DRUNK in port.

Chris Isaac
10th October 2013, 16:45
The story of the Perthshire / Applegarth tragedy here
http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page579.html

kilo whisky
18th December 2013, 23:35
Was Perthshire the Clan Liner that had a boiler explosion or similar disaster, and was laid up near the dockhead at Southampton for months, late 50's - early 60's?
'PERTHSHIRE'.....yes,she had a boiler fire in Southampton & spent about one
month there before sailing lightship for Port Elizabeth - full cargo oranges for Le Havre...early '60s.I was Cadet (Ken Woodside) Master MN Ure Mate
Brackenridge..2nd Mate Walgate 3rd Mate Smith.
After discharge returned to Glasgow Princes Dock to lay up.

IAN M
19th December 2013, 18:24
Does anyone out there remember the old Perthshire? Built in 1936 she was sister to the Clan Macarther and the Clan Macaulay. The former was sunk in a Malta convoy (I believe) but the latter was still around when I was 3rd Mate on the Perthshire. We spent most of our time on the South African fruit trade, general cargo outwards and citrus or deciduous fruit, depending on the season, homeward. Yet any of the Clan Line sites don't seem to mention her, I'm getting quite paranoid about it!(MAD)

Extracted from SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

CLAN MACARTHUR (Captain J.D. Matthews). Dispersed from Convoy DN.55 and bound for Port Louis, Mauritius, from Glasgow and Durban, when torpedoed three times by U.181 (FrgtKpt. Wolfgang Lüth) between 3 and 4am on 12 August, 1943, and sank in position 23º00´S 53º11´E. Fifty-three died. After a fortnight, the lifeboats and raft were spotted by a Catalina flying boat which brought the Free French sloop FFL Savorgnan de Brazza to their assistance and took the 77 survivors, some of whom were wounded, to Tamatave.