Benledi 1954

ruud
29th December 2006, 09:00
Ahoy,
Will post 2 photos, in where I do have any doubts, as both are named Benledi 1954, so help needed from the BEN "experts"; I do believe the first one is the Benledi 1954, but not sure if the second is the same vessel;
Who can shed a light on these, any details are most welcome and appreciated.
Btw bought these via auction,so no idea where or when taken.

gdynia
29th December 2006, 09:12
Rudd
Looks like same vessel but different angle

thunderd
29th December 2006, 09:16
Hi ruud, if this helps neither of these is the Benledi I joined in December 1956, the one I was on was the heavy lift ship as posted by Roymuir a few days ago.

ruud
29th December 2006, 10:00
Ahoy,
Just had a look in the gallery, and believe indeed that the Benledi (VII) ex Ballarat posted by Roymuir, could be this one?
As for the 2 posted vessels here, I don't think they are the same, the bridge section on the 2nd photo is far too different as that on the 1st.?

Frank P
29th December 2006, 11:11
Hello Ruud, I don't think that they are the same ships, look at the funnels the second ship has a an extension on top, and look at the stern's (poop deck) they are a different shape.

Cheers Frank

roymuir
29th December 2006, 11:31
G'day Ruud, the first one is correct, ex BALLARAT. The second is BENAVON (III) of 1949. I will post her tomorrow so you have all the info.
Regards, Roy.

dom
29th December 2006, 11:34
definitly not the same ship,no doubht about it

ruud
29th December 2006, 11:56
G'day Ruud, the first one is correct, ex BALLARAT. The second is BENAVON (III) of 1949. I will post her tomorrow so you have all the info.
Regards, Roy.

Ahoy Roy,
Thanks for this added info, will change her in my files;
Here another shot of the Benavon[3] 1949.

Roddy Munro
29th December 2006, 22:45
Rudd I dont think your Benavons are one and the same.Counting the stanchions along the prom deck they dont match up.Also the metal plate at the fore end of the accomodation looks different.
Regards roddy.

roymuir
30th December 2006, 00:00
Hullo Roddy and Ruud, have just checked up on these two photos.
They are in fact the same ship. In the 21 years that Ben Line owned her there were a few modifications made. The most obvious is the extra set of gear at the fore end of No.1 hatch, the addition of awning spars etc., to the boat deck and monkey island. All the usual little things that make you sit and scratch your napper.
I have posted her today with the extra gear but have her in a book as built.
She is definately Benavon (III).
Regards to you both, Roy.

dom
30th December 2006, 00:07
not having the two photos side by side to compare,but just take a look at the accommodation block, mast and jumbos on the foredeck sampson posts on the afterdeck ben line bought many ships and renamed them

roymuir
30th December 2006, 00:45
I think there is a wee bit of confusion here. The two pics Ruud posted at the beginning of this thread are not the same ship. The ship on the right at the top of the thread is the same one as Ruud has posted futher down 21:56.
Regards, Roy.
I have both these ships posted in my gallery with their full histories.

Alistair Spence
31st December 2006, 21:03
Fine vessel on the left is without any doubt the Benledi VII ,launched in 1954 as the Ballaraat, but she was renamed the "Pando Cape" before Ben Line bought her in 1972. When I joined her in Singapore in 1974 we couldn't use the "big" derreck cos it was knackered, but that didn't matter. I think she was only a temporary solution to a shortage at the time and she was scrapped sometime in 1978.There,s a hold just aft of the bridge making life hell for the occupants of the cabins lining the trunking. No air conditioning either!

roymuir
1st January 2007, 10:26
Arrived Inchon 26/4/1978 for breaking.

dom
1st January 2007, 13:09
Ballarat in P+O colours before she became Pando Cape

Eltel
5th January 2007, 17:37
Did 2 trips 2/O on the 'Ledi in 1977. Happiest ship ever - Captain Ron Thomas - a pure gentleman.

Roland Bradley
13th January 2008, 18:30
Ahoy,
Will post 2 photos, in where I do have any doubts, as both are named Benledi 1954, so help needed from the BEN "experts"; I do believe the first one is the Benledi 1954, but not sure if the second is the same vessel;

Not sure of the name of Ben boats in your photos but they are not of the Benledi. The Benledi was a heavy lift ship and it's engines were aft.

Roland Bradley.

binliner
13th January 2008, 21:18
the second drawing could possibly be the bencairn which was bought from city line and had previously been a "pando boat". in one of alleys was the line drawing of her as a pando boat.

roymuir
13th January 2008, 22:05
G'day Roland, there were infact 8 different "Benledi"s owned by the company and one was a heavylift job with engines aft but this is not her.
Regards, Roy.

forthbridge
13th January 2008, 22:13
The second ship in the first posting is not Benavon III which was built by Thomsons of Sunderland in 1949. If you look at the stern it is different than in the posting by Roy. I think we can narrow it down to one of 3 similar ships built by Connels Benalder V in 1949, Bencleuch VI in 1949 or BenvenueIV in 1948

Willie Mac
13th January 2008, 23:09
The second ship in the first posting could possibly be the "Benmacdhui"

captkenn
13th January 2008, 23:21
Derek Blair's Benledi is the former Peter Dal II of Dalhousie SS Co. My friend Thomas Summers was Apprentice on it as the Peter Dal II pre 1953. He later became a Customs Officer in Sydney.

binliner
14th January 2008, 00:14
photo of "macdhui" attached showing extension to funnel similar to ship in second photo

john fraser
14th January 2008, 02:57
Macdhui.Venue.Cleuch.Vorlich.Cruachan.were all fairly similar Bens.I don,t think the Lawers had the Samson posts added on to her f.castle.If you blow up the photo you can see its a fairly long name on her bow.

Enri
11th February 2013, 23:27
The problem with the Jumbo on the Ledi,when you joined Alistair, was the pin on which the goose neck sat was cracked. I did three voyages on her just before you joined, as extra and then 2nd Mate. I cannot remember why the goose neck was lifted, it was something I have not seen since, tho my latter deep sea career was on bulkers. The 1st off at the time was Ian Hamilton. The picture on the left above is the Benledi (VII), the only Ben Line ship I sailed on.

benchallam
15th June 2013, 14:28
approx 1962,, location west hartlepool as it was then known.the ledi
was laid up in a woodyard as she was what was known as a heavy
lifter of which the ben line had 2 off used in case of transporting ,
railway engines tanks etc.,the crew 2 chippies.1 cook,1 stewart. 1
first mate.2 engineer.and myself leckie...it is the only ship that i became the captain,chief engineer,and leckie.my story is long so if anyone is interested i will continue at a later date.

p.s. i have a photograph of ss benledi built in 1945 10,000 tons d.w. 15 knots...

p.p.s stern accommidation, with heavylift derricks.

forthbridge
17th June 2013, 01:04
Be interested to hear about it.

first mate.2 engineer.and myself leckie...it is the only ship that i became the captain,chief engineer,and leckie.my story is long so if anyone is interested i will continue at a later date.

p.s. i have a photograph of ss benledi built in 1945 10,000 tons d.w. 15 knots...

chadburn
17th June 2013, 11:47

At the time you were there were there any RN vessels held in Reserve including (I think) five "Ford Class" Patrol Craft in the Woodyard Basin and have you any photo's please of the Reserve Fleet held there?

benchallam
18th June 2013, 11:24
background,it was custom to split the crew each thursday to go home for a long weekend back on monday.on the weekend in question on duty was cook,2 chippies, and the leckey.on a normal week i went down the engineroom,hand cranked a diesel engine to charge up an air tank to about 300lb,then use this air to start up the main diesel generator,then put on the main breaker to give power to various pumps,mainly the bilge pump.note!! the ledi would have sunk at the quey if this was not done about 3 times a week.note!! i was shown all this by an previous engineer who had left the ship.back to my story,word came the ledi was to be moved up the quey approx 100yards why i no not,i now put power on deck warping winch,now on to the wing of the bridge i am now the captain? signeled the chippies they done the rest loosed off the springs etc moved to the next bollard and warped the ship.shut down all power,job done!
i know this story sounds unlikley if not a downright load of bull,but it was as i have described from memory some 50 years ago.

Kenneth W Soulsby
2nd December 2013, 20:21
second picture on left is of the Benmacdhui Ben alder and avon had bulwarks on the prom deck as opposed to railings

oldman 80
16th December 2013, 00:49
Ahoy,

Definitely different vessels.
One has 5 holds the other has 6.
Different funnels also.
Positioning of Jumbo ?

cassas
20th December 2013, 00:15
Ahoy,
They are the same as ships I sailed on in the fifties ie Venue,Macdhui and others they were mostly built at connels Yard on the Clyde circa 1949 hope this helps cassas

oldman 80
20th December 2013, 03:21
The second ship in the first posting could possibly be the "Benmacdhui"

I agree - certainly one of that class, I believe.
Maybe the Cluech, Venue, or Alder.

oldman 80
20th December 2013, 04:05
Macdhui.Venue.CleuchVorlich.Cruachanwere all fairly similar Bens.I don,t think the Lawers had the Samson posts added on to her f.castle.If you blow up the photo you can see its a fairly long name on her bow.

Not the Vorlich class for sure.38838
The Vorlich class had a small hatch/hold #4 immediately for'd of the bridge.

benchallam
20th December 2013, 18:34
view back to 17/06/2013..ben ledi 1954..by benchallam...I have the photo in front of me..built 1945 10,100 tons d.w. 15 knots......a heavy lifter, engines aft, with three hatches.

oldman 80
20th December 2013, 20:28
view back to 17/06/2013..ben ledi 1954..by benchallam...I have the photo in front of me..built 1945 10,100 tons d.w. 15 knots......a heavy lifter, engines aft, with three hatches.

That'll be right. The Benledi of that time, was as you describe her.

ernhelenbarrett
24th December 2013, 04:56
The Benvorlich was a wartime built vessel one of the Empire ships, I did a coastal on her in 1954, the Ledi and Albanach were also wartime built heavy lifters with 120 ton jumbos the Benalbanach was the Empire Athelstan when I joined her in December 1947 and I believe the Ledi was the Empire Admiral. We changed the name of Empire Athelstan to Benalbanach in Antwerp and she was originally owned/managed by Paddy Hendersons
Ern Barrett

Derek Dunn
25th December 2013, 19:17
Ahoy,

Hello Ruud, it has to be the same vessel, Benledi (7), ex P&O Ballarat / Pando Cape. Steamship built 1954, BL owned 1972 - 1978. The previous Benledi (6) was the 'Cruachan type but with a diesel engine. Derek.

oldman 80
29th December 2013, 07:09
Hello Ruud, it has to be the same vessel, Benledi (7), ex P&O Ballarat / Pando Cape. Steamship built 1954, BL owned 1972 - 1978. The previous Benledi (6) was the 'Cruachan type but with a diesel engine. Derek.

No. No. No.
The two photo's posted by Ruud are not of the same vessel, but I am inclined to agree the first thumbnail (v/l with 6 cargo holds) may well have been an ex P&O steamer ( as that's a steamer funnel,complete with soot deflectors - I believe) purchased by Ben Line in 1972. She has certainly got a P&O design look about her.
They may well have called her BenLedi, although something tells me that's not right either. I have a feeling they (B/L) already had a new Clyde built Benledi by then - with all aft accommodation and E.R.
I Could be wrong though.

roymuir
29th December 2013, 08:29
Oldman 80,
You are most certainly wrong.
Benledi (VI) was sold in 1972 along with her two near sisters, Benalbanach and Benwyvis, to help pay for the the three new container vessels that Ben Line had built in Germany, the Benavon, Benalder and City of Edinburgh.
They then purchased the older P&O jobs to replace the 'ledi class.
Regards, Roy.

oldman 80
29th December 2013, 11:56
Oldman 80,
You are most certainly wrong.
Benledi (VI) was sold in 1972 along with her two near sisters, Benalbanach and Benwyvis, to help pay for the the three new container vessels that Ben Line had built in Germany, the Benavon, Benalder and City of Edinburgh.
They then purchased the older P&O jobs to replace the 'ledi class.
Regards, Roy.

Can't see how I am wrong.
1. The two thumbnails posted originally by Ruud are not the same vessel.
2. The first of those two thumbnails is one of the P&O ships you refer to. (I am almost certain of that.)
3. I remarked "they may have" called her Benledi - but implied I did not think so.
4. Your reference to the Albanach and Wyvis of that era makes me think I am right - both those vessels were Clyde Built in the mid to late 60's, - were they not ? The Wyvis, almost certainly was.
I thought the Clyde built Ben Line new ships of the 60's were the Benvalla and Bengloe (One of which may even have been late 1959- following the BenLoyal of 1958 )BenArmin, Benstac, Benwyvis, and Bencruachan (the broken back one) and, I thought, (perhaps mistakenly), Benledi. (which you describe as a near sister to the Wyvis - and I think you are right there.)
The only other new building I can think of in that era was Benarty - but she was from the Rob-Caledon shipyard in Dundee. (1963)
I'm not sure where the Benalbanach you refer to was built, nor when.
(Read)

forthbridge
29th December 2013, 14:53
First one after Bengloe was Benledi followed by Benwyvis and Benalbanach. Bendearg came in about that time as well but did not have the same speed Bencruachan followed Benalbanach but was a steamship then followed by Benlawers which was also Clyde built but by Barclay Curle not Connel.Benstac fitted in somewhere but not a fast ship and and Benarty fromRob Caledon.
After that came the containerships in Germany and Ben Ocean Lancer from Scott Lithgow in Greenock.

john fraser
29th December 2013, 15:30
First one after Bengloe was Benledi followed by Benwyvis and Benalbanach. Bendearg came in about that time as well but did not have the same speed Bencruachan followed Benalbanach but was a steamship then followed by Benlawers which was also Clyde built but by Barclay Curle not Connel.Benstac fitted in somewhere but not a fast ship and and Benarty fromRob Caledon.
After that came the containerships in Germany and Ben Ocean Lancer from Scott Lithgow in Greenock.

Benlawers was built by Upper Clyde Shipbuilders.I remember at the handing over ceremony. Sir Charles Connel refused to speak to Anthony Hepper who was chairman of Upper Clyde Shipbuilders.
Barclay Curle engine her with a Sulzer 9RND90

forthbridge
29th December 2013, 16:26
You are correct John. I remembered seeing the Barclay Curle nameplate when I sailed on her but it was on the main engine. My memory does not work too well at this distance.

oldman 80
29th December 2013, 21:04

Ah yes - Bendearg - I'd forgotten about her.
Was she not built specifically for palletised cargo or was that the Benstac ?

Edit: I feel sure Benarmin came before Benledi of that era.

roymuir
29th December 2013, 21:25
If you look in my gallery you will find all of these vessels and their history.
Regards, Roy.

oldman 80
29th December 2013, 21:27
If you look in my gallery you will find all of these vessels and their history.
Regards, Roy.

Thanks for that, but how do we get to your gallery ?

forthbridge
30th December 2013, 01:38
Ah yes - Bendearg - I'd forgotten about her.
Was she not built specifically for palletised cargo or was that the Benstac ?

Edit: I feel sure Benarmin came before Benledi of that era.

I missed out Benvalla of 1962 Benledi was 1965 Benwyvis was 1966 and Benalbanach was 1967.

I checked out the dates on Roy's gallery which you can access by clicking on his profile and then clicking on pictures posted.

oldman 80
30th December 2013, 03:16
I missed out Benvalla of 1962 Benledi was 1965 Benwyvis was 1966 and Benalbanach was 1967.

I checked out the dates on Roy's gallery which you can access by clicking on his profile and then clicking on pictures posted.

Thanks for that info - found his photo's o.k., and some others, including the Benarmin launch at Connells on April 26th 1963.
So I was right.
Can't remember the ensact date Benarty was delivered to owners, but think it was February/March 1963.
Did six voyages on her as cadet, starting with voyage 2 - a great learning experience, so it was.
Chas Donnelly (Master) and The Beast (Bosun) - it was tough, but worth every minute.
A very fine vessel indeed.
A real heavy lifter - so she was. Now that's Nostalgia, for sure.

Derek Dunn
30th December 2013, 11:43
Hi Guys, we seem to have gone off at a tangent. I have had another look at Ruud's pictures and it would seem that they are not of the same ship. One has a gap between the engine room casing and the forward accomodation. One has aft end derrick posts and other has none.
However, we get back to the Benledi question. Roy Muir was spot-on. BL bought three steamships from P&O Ledi, Wyvis and Albanach after the three motorship vesions of the same names were sold. Wyvis and Albanach were sisterships and Ledi was somewhat different. Ruud's picture of the ship taken from the aft quarter could be the Benledi. The one taken from the broadside could it possibly be the Benmacdhui 1948 - 1972. Derek.

Tom S
30th December 2013, 14:15
Hi Guys, we seem to have gone off at a tangent. I have had another look at Ruud's pictures and it would seem that they are not of the same ship. One has a gap between the engine room casing and the forward accomodation. One has aft end derrick posts and other has none.
However, we get back to the Benledi question. Roy Muir was spot-on. BL bought three steamships from P&O Ledi, Wyvis and Albanach after the three motorship vesions of the same names were sold. Wyvis and Albanach were sisterships and Ledi was somewhat different. Ruud's picture of the ship taken from the aft quarter could be the Benledi. The one taken from the broadside could it possibly be the Benmacdhui 1948 - 1972. Derek.
I agree with you Derek I am sure it's the Benmacdhui I sailed on her for a couple of voyages as second mate. If you blow the picture up you can't make the name out but it is a long name. Ian Adamson was the Master then
Tom

oldman 80
30th December 2013, 22:17
I believe it is probably the BenMacdhui as well.
The original foto's are of a 5 hold vessel and a six hold vessel, - different funnels etc. - therefore they are not the same vessel.
I believe the first of the original photo's is indeed one of the old P&O ships (the one with #4 abaft the bridge).
Benarmin was definitely delivered to Ben Line well before Benledi (of the 60's era) by about 3 years.
Whether one of the old P&O ships (purchased in the early 70's) was called Benledi I do not know but I'm inclined to think it was not as something tells me the Benledi of the time was still unsold (but up for sale) at the time the P&O vessels were purchased.
I left Ben Line for Chevron around 71 and although I remained "in touch" for a while, obviously not so much in touch as if I'd still been with them.
Anyhow, there is no doubt that none of them are the Ledi of 1954, but
Benchallams description posted on 21st December is very accurate according to my memory. If not, then I fear "dementia" may have set in, despite other indicators saying it has not.
Finally, Rob Caledons Benarty of 1963 was by far the best of Ben Lines Heavy Lifters with Captain Chas Donnelly and " The Beast " (Willy Walker the Bosun) their penultimate Heavy Lift experts.
There can be no doubt about that at all. !!!!!
(Thumb)
P.S. I became highly proficient at lashing ,winch driving, and most importantly, stability awareness in port. (POP)
She was a "cracker" of a ship.

Scelerat
31st December 2013, 09:27
For what it's worth, I saw a "Benledi" in an Indian port, I can't yet remember, but I think Colombo (yes, I know that's Sri Lanka) in about 1976. She was old, early 50's I'd guess, with,I think 5 hatches, with one through the mid ships accommodation. It struck me as curious as Revell had a plastic kit of a "Benledi", which was a modern, aft accommodation job. The Mate on her had been with City Line, and I was on the "City of Wellington" at the time, so he'd come over for a chat.

Eltel
31st December 2013, 19:21
See my avatar. This is the Benledi ex Ballarat ex Pando Cape. She was a steam ship with 5 hatches and split accommodation. My credentials? I did 2 trips and 2 coasts 2/O on her.

oldman 80
31st December 2013, 23:19
For what it's worth, I saw a "Benledi" in an Indian port, I can't yet remember, but I think Colombo (yes, I know that's Sri Lanka) in about 1976. She was old, early 50's I'd guess, with,I think 5 hatches, with one through the mid ships accommodation. It struck me as curious as Revell had a plastic kit of a "Benledi", which was a modern, aft accommodation job. The Mate on her had been with City Line, and I was on the "City of Wellington" at the time, so he'd come over for a chat.

That can't be right - are U sure it wasn't 1966 ? That might fit.
The revel kit was of the Clyde built (mid 1960's) ship.
EDIT: Sorry , please disregard my first sentence above. That might fit - it may have been an old ex Pando V/l. ( but query the number of cargo holds ie. 5 v 6 )
I got a bit "confused" - I was more focused on "Heavy Lifters" than names. ie (Benledi 1954 v's Benarty 1963) The Arty & Ledi of the 1950's were similar, if not "sister", heavy lifters, - if my "history" serves me correctly.

Derek Dunn
1st January 2014, 11:13
See my avatar. This is the Benledi ex Ballarat ex Pando Cape. She was a steam ship with 5 hatches and split accommodation. My credentials? I did 2 trips and 2 coasts 2/O on her.

Hi Terry, I beleive she had a very unusual boiler set-up. There was no auxiliary steam supply it was all reduced from the main boilers. This would mean that at least one of the boilers had to be kept flashed up in port. The other two Pando boats were real crackers, I did two trips on the Albanach and really enjoyed them. I seem to think that flat out they were capable of 17 knots. We took the Albanach from Birkenhead to Grangemouth and coming through the Pentland firth we were doing 21 knots over the ground!

Eltel
1st January 2014, 12:25
Hi Terry, I beleive she had a very unusual boiler set-up. There was no auxiliary steam supply it was all reduced from the main boilers. This would mean that at least one of the boilers had to be kept flashed up in port. The other two Pando boats were real crackers, I did two trips on the Albanach and really enjoyed them. I seem to think that flat out they were capable of 17 knots. We took the Albanach from Birkenhead to Grangemouth and coming through the Pentland firth we were doing 21 knots over the ground!

Happy New Year, Derek. Not too sure about the machinery set up but the 'Ledi was certainly a brilliant ship to sail on. An excellent 12-4 social club and all round very happy. I did the last 2 trips before the scrapper. Would have stayed on but went up for my Mates. She was certainly good for 17kts but we were on slow speed steaming for fuel economy.

oldman 80
1st January 2014, 22:00

O.K. thanks for that.
Can you post your avatar as an attachment (thumbnail) so that we can have a much clearer view of her.
Were those ex - Pando purchases of the 1970's sister ships or different classes.?

Eltel
2nd January 2014, 07:35
O.K. thanks for that.
Can you post your avatar as an attachment (thumbnail) so that we can have a much clearer view of her.
Were those ex - Pando purchases of the 1970's sister ships or different classes.?

Will try when I get off the end of this trip. I have also realised my deliberate mistake, the 'Ledi had 6 hatches - 3 for'd, 1 midships and 2 aft (was getting confused with the 'Vannoch - ex City of Ripon). The other 2, the 'Wyvis and the 'Albanach had 5. This also answers your question in that those 2 were sisters but the 'Ledi was on her own. Another difference was that the 'Ledi had Chinese crew but the other 2 retained the Indian crew.

Eltel
2nd January 2014, 07:57
O.K. thanks for that.

Managed it but unfortunately my avatar is 1.6KB too big! Please find a bonus effort instead!

oldman 80
2nd January 2014, 20:55
Managed it but unfortunately my avatar is 1.6KB too big! Please find a bonus effort instead!

Thank you for that.
I thought she was 6 hatches - based on original posting by Ruud and assuming she was the Pando Ledi.
I am no expert but I had some problems with photo's that were too big digitally. However I still managed to post them by "cropping" them. Looks like the bottom of yours could be cropped.
Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it.
If you wonder why I am so "pedantic" - its because I am seriously trying to assess my memory capabilities. It's become important to me in recent times - assessing recent stroke damage.
Clearly it's almost non existent, certainly minimal - memory wise.
Thanks again.
(@)

Eltel
3rd January 2014, 07:13
If you wonder why I am so "pedantic" - its because I am seriously trying to assess my memory capabilities. It's become important to me in recent times - assessing recent stroke damage.
Clearly it's almost non existent, certainly minimal - memory wise.
Thanks again.
(@)

Don't seem to be any problems there as I'm guessing you have a bit on me - I'm retiring next week on my 60th. Now what did I walk over to my desk for?

Paul Barford
3rd January 2014, 08:35
Don't seem to be any problems there as I'm guessing you have a bit on me - I'm retiring next week on my 60th. Now what did I walk over to my desk for?

Retiring Terry, too young to do that!!(Thumb)

Scelerat
3rd January 2014, 16:12
That's the one I saw.

duncs
3rd January 2014, 17:39
A bit slightly off thread, but. When I was on the Benvalla, the story was(tall tale?) that she was the ultimate 'Leith yacht', with only a foot of her hull plate parallel. On her first visit to HongKong, she was clambered all over by the Chinese, with measuring tapes. Is there any truth in these 'tales'?, or was I just given the regular Ben Line Bullshit? Were the Pando boats ex BI W's?

Rgds, D

Eltel
3rd January 2014, 17:40

You're NEVER too young for that!(A) All the best for 2014 Paul.

Paul Barford
3rd January 2014, 23:57
(Pint)
You're NEVER too young for that!(A) All the best for 2014 Paul.

Cheers Terry all the best for 2014 and impending retirement !

oldman 80
4th January 2014, 00:51

Not too young to do it, just rather silly, and un-informed, unless you have to, of course.
But even then - perhaps not.
Semi retirement is the key - take my word for it.

Edit:- But have a "GAP year" by all means - you'll find that long enough I suspect

oldman 80
4th January 2014, 01:00
A bit slightly off thread, but. When I was on the Benvalla, the story was(tall tale?) that she was the ultimate 'Leith yacht', with only a foot of her hull plate parallel. On her first visit to HongKong, she was clambered all over by the Chinese, with measuring tapes. Is there any truth in these 'tales'?, or was I just given the regular Ben Line Bullshit? Were the Pando boats ex BI W's?

Rgds, D

You can bet your last dollar that bit was true.
Had she done the Japanese coast at that time, she would have been invaded by guys with measuring tapes and camera's.
That was certainly the case in respect of Benarty and her Stulken.
Not only her first voyage but for several thereafter.
It wasn't long before the Japanese Shipyards were producing their own copy.

Eltel
4th January 2014, 07:47
just rather silly, and un-informed

A bit of a sweeping statement!!??(Cloud)

oldman 80
4th January 2014, 22:02
A bit of a sweeping statement!!??(Cloud)

True !
Sorry, - wrong word.
"Ill informed" would be more accurate.
(Financial Services Industry).
Semi retirement is a better option.
Retirement aint what it's made out to be.
It may well even accelerate "the end".

Eltel
5th January 2014, 07:49
True !
Sorry, - wrong word.
"Ill informed" would be more accurate.
(Financial Services Industry).
Semi retirement is a better option.
Retirement aint what it's made out to be.
It may well even accelerate "the end".

Sorry if retirement has not worked for you. I intend it to be a case of doing what I want to do rather than what I have to do. I certainly do not intend to foresake the industry totally - just a lot less of it and only the bits I like accompanied by more non-industry activities.

oldman 80
5th January 2014, 23:34
Sorry if retirement has not worked for you. I intend it to be a case of doing what I want to do rather than what I have to do. I certainly do not intend to foresake the industry totally - just a lot less of it and only the bits I like accompanied by more non-industry activities.

That sounds like the perfect retirement to me.
Flexible Semi Retirement ? Well perhaps that's a good way to describe it.
However what it all boils down to in the end is, What you can do, as much as, or even more than, anything else.

ian keyl
7th January 2014, 11:09
Good morning folks,
In reference to "Dunc's" thread on the Benvalla and her Yacht like features , I was on her for a year and she was a flying fish. There was 46 feet of shear straight plating and all the rest was flare and cleavage . She was the sexiest woman to cut a line through the water for many years ,even in her days in Chinese colours she would pout her bow and make any man want to look around under her plates.

Her only problem was permant ballast and always cracking her bed plate, I remember one trip homeward bound from Japan via Singapore and Port Swettenham, we were leaving Hong Kong and the agent said that we had a load of Palm oil and latex to pick up if we could beat a Blueey in to Singapore. The shippers Dunlop and Bousteds had said it was ups for grabs discharge Rotterdam. The Bluey who was up for it left HK bouys before us and had a good lead as they had gone out via Li moon passage. Donald Cowie the old man pulled the hook as soon as the last junk was clear we were making way as the second mate was still tring to get along side from the taking the final draft from wee Ben bouie ,she was flat out with Alan Wilson trying to get on board. He did of course make it. Donald heded for the western exit via stone cutters island , Once we had rung full away Donald spoke to the Chief and asked him to wind her up.
They sure did it was a picture the next day to see us overhauling the Bluey ,the sea was flat calm with a slight qtrly swell but the wake was almost perfect on this occasion as the auto pilot was behaving itself. On the 12-4 that night we had pulled past the bluey and the Chief wanted to know for how much longer and Donald said till the Horsbrough light, Well that became a concern to the Chief but he gave us it and we made Singapore and Port Swettenham to fill all of our 14 tanks with good paying freight. Seaton Murray was the first in command of the Valla from the stocks but he would never have taken a gamble such as Donald did.
The excitement of that passage was fantastic and it gave us all onboard a great feeling . No doubt there are many similar where Glens and Blueys will have reciprocated the story.
We all lived for thrills at sea and survived.
Keep her steady.Ian.

Joe Freeman
11th January 2014, 01:02
Hi Ian, I am wondering if that was the trip when the rubber hose burst and the deck was flooded with latex, I have a picture somewhere that shows the scene on deck.
Joe.