Brastagi

Aristo
29th December 2006, 13:17
Brastagi was a 1937-built freighter of 9,200 grt, owned by Rotterdam Lloyd.
In 1947 she was stranded in Isla Caldeira, off Mozambique. During the salvage opeations she caught fire and was eventually abandoned.

I guess that must be quiet a remote location as this island does not appear in any of my maps. In a Dutch site it is placed in 200 miles West of Mozambique. Can anyone help in locating it?
In such a remote location she must have escaped the attention of shipbreakers, so maybe the wreck is still there?

Any further info on her loss -or even a picture of the wreck:o - would be of interest.

gdynia
29th December 2006, 13:32
Brastagi was a 1937-built freighter of 9,200 grt, owned by Rotterdam Lloyd.
In 1947 she was stranded in Isla Caldeira, off Mozambique. During the salvage opeations she caught fire and was eventually abandoned.

I guess that must be quiet a remote location as this island does not appear in any of my maps. In a Dutch site it is placed in 200 miles West of Mozambique. Can anyone help in locating it?
In such a remote location she must have escaped the attention of shipbreakers, so maybe the wreck is still there?

Any further info on her loss -or even a picture of the wreck:o - would be of interest.

Aristo
Photo of a vessel called Brastagi on www.photoship.co.uk

Aristo
29th December 2006, 14:23
That's the one, gdynia.

ruud
29th December 2006, 17:17
Ahoy,
Is this the one your looking for?

Aristo
29th December 2006, 21:53
Yes thats the one guys, any idea what happened in Isla Caldeira and where on earth is this place?

edchurcher
30th December 2006, 13:43
I have done some searching, the internet is a wonderful place! http://worldmaps.web.infoseek.co.jp/mozambique_guide.htm use the bar on the left and Caldeira is on the drop down list, the image is pretty clear and there seems to be some wreckage to the SSE of the Island (if you can call it that!) Hope this helps.

all the best
Ed

edchurcher
30th December 2006, 14:30
Sorry east of island.... I spun my map a bit! oops!

Aristo
30th December 2006, 17:12
Thanks edchurcher, seems like that the island is nothing more thatn a dozen coconut trees and white sand.
Could'nt locate the wreckage that you spotted though...
It seems to me that this place is wide open to the elements and that the wreck had probably slipped off the reef into deeper water.

edchurcher
31st December 2006, 06:54
The wreckage seems to be right on the beach on the west of the island... (I must get my map the right way round!) at least there is a large "unnatural" looking feature there. Alternativley there is a rusty coloured feature just off the reef to the SW.

Aristo
31st December 2006, 09:42
ok, I saw what you described. Thanks for pointing this out.