Fleetwood trawler of 1930s

Roger Bentley
29th December 2006, 19:37
The attached photographs were taken by my father in 1935 at Fleetwood. I have often wondered who this trawler was. I have tried to distinguish the motif on the funnel with a magnifying glass but cannot get a clear picture, it might be the letter E or B. I have included the original sepia copy and a cleaned up scanned version. Any of the experts got any suggestions? Regards, Roger Bentley

lilguy43uk
1st May 2007, 09:00
Roger

The vessel is (I believe) Dhoon FD54.

http://www.fleetwood-trawlers.info/galleries/fwdgal13/dhoon.html

Regards

gil mayes
1st May 2007, 21:53
I am not so sure that she is the DHOON (136249). If you compare the pics you will see several differences. But... at the moment I cannot offer an alternative (this is not the first time we have seen this pic).
Gil

lilguy43uk
2nd May 2007, 08:23
I'm quite happy to defer to Gil's judgement on this as my eye for detail (especially on older photos) is not brilliant and there's no doubt whatsoever that Gil does know his subject. Yes, there are some differences that I pcked up on, especially with the mizzen masts and the absence of the small cross trees but they could have been added/removed at a later date.

mark m
10th May 2007, 15:31
Gents i,m looking for info on a vessel used during the 2nd World war HMT St-Kilda .My grandfather was aboard this vessel and it may have been Fleetwood registered ?
Any info would be most appreciated .
I have a telegram telling ,Skipper Murray HMT-St-Kilda c/o PMR DEVONPORT that his wife and baby are doing well.
I have looked at the Lancashire Float and although there is a Fd st-kilda it apparently changed name in the late 30,s

gil mayes
10th May 2007, 16:02
ST. KILDA (P.No.T209) was an Isles Class trawler built by Hall Russell at Aberdeen in 1942. Details should be on aberdeenships.com. My father served in the CW&G built ROSEVEAN (P.No.T363).
Gil

gil mayes
10th May 2007, 16:13
I did edit but... she was Alex Hall built (Yd.No.679)and her subsequent career is recorded at aberdeenships.com
Gil

mark m
10th May 2007, 16:16
Many many thanks for your help in pointing me in the right direction Gil