SS&A Funnel Colour

Stephen J. Card
30th December 2006, 14:14
Does anyone remember the name of SSA's funnel colour as it was listed in the company paint book?

I remember 'primrose yellow' for the name on the bows but cannot remember the funnel colour. or indeed the hull grey.

Thanks all your help.

Best wishes to everyone for a Happy New Year!

Stephen

gadgee
30th December 2006, 18:01
Stephen

Think it was "buff" ?

Stephen J. Card
30th December 2006, 20:57
Stephen

Think it was "buff" ?

'Buff' is rather general term for any kind of brownish or reddish yellow. For instance, P&O buff, Royal Mail buff, PSNC buff, NZS buff... but they were all different. Savill's buff was very pink/flesh colour and I'm hoping that it actually had a name of some kind.

Thanks.

Stephen

R.Philip Griffin
30th December 2006, 21:48
When we put the paint order in it was as "Funnel Buff". Dosen't help much, but both them and us knew what we wanted.

Stephen J. Card
31st December 2006, 02:20
When we put the paint order in it was as "Funnel Buff". Dosen't help much, but both them and us knew what we wanted.

Well, at least I can stop searching for a 'name'. Do you recall who were the paint suppliers to SS&A? International Marine?

Thanks,

Stephen

R.Philip Griffin
3rd January 2007, 03:57
Whilst I was with SS&A, 1952-1964 International Marine Paints were the usual suppliers.

Stephen J. Card
3rd January 2007, 04:10
Whilst I was with SS&A, 1952-1964 International Marine Paints were the usual suppliers.

Thanks.

Do you by any chance remember the name IMP used for SS&A funnel buff?

I'm trying to find out if the old White Star Line and Shaw Savill used the same funnel colour. Some old White Star postcards indicate a salmon pink buff rather similar to SS&A.

I think it is a strong possibility bearing in mind the strong connection between the two firms up to the mid 1930's. The only difference in their liveries was the strips along the hull, WSL strips was yellow gold and Savills' was white.

Stephen

R.Philip Griffin
3rd January 2007, 23:30
Ahoy Stephen, To my everlasting shame, not only did I order the Funnel paint, but at a later chapter of my life, I worked as a Marine Paint Rep for International MP. and I still can't tell you the Official Colour from their Colour Charts. Sorry.

Stephen J. Card
4th January 2007, 06:59
Ahoy Stephen, To my everlasting shame, not only did I order the Funnel paint, but at a later chapter of my life, I worked as a Marine Paint Rep for International MP. and I still can't tell you the Official Colour from their Colour Charts. Sorry.

RPG:

Well, I'm certain that you never thought the information would ever be of any use forty years down the road!

Do you think it would be worthwhile trying to contact International on the slim possibility that they still have something on record?

The only other source I can think of is Richard Alexander who is keeper of all the Furness Group archives. A copy of the Paint Book may have been kept in Head Office..... says he hopefully!

Stephen

benjidog
4th January 2007, 10:01
Hi Stephen,

I am rather intrigued by this thread.

Are you trying to match a colour for a model or painting, or planning to erect a replica funnel in place of the chimney on your house. ;)

Regards,

Brian

R.Philip Griffin
5th January 2007, 00:12
I really don't know if IMP are still going. Whilst I was with them there was a merger with RED HAND paints, but we never learnt who was on top. Sounds as if the Furness Whithy Archives might be the way to go.
Hold your dominion.

John Crossland
21st June 2007, 08:36
Stephen,
I am intrigued as to whether you found the name of the funnel buff ?
John

Derbyroy
22nd June 2007, 16:03
Hello Stephen,
I was asked this very question several years ago, the only information i could glean at the time was, the Buff colour used was "White Star Buff " .
as used by White Star Lines, I don,t know if this answers your query?.
I did sail on the MV Cedric in 1967 , and did actually use the colour to paint said Funnel.(job and finish ) Im not sure if we used International paints or not as we had it decanted into pots,
best regards
Derbyroy

Stephen J. Card
22nd June 2007, 23:15
Hello Stephen,
I was asked this very question several years ago, the only information i could glean at the time was, the Buff colour used was "White Star Buff " .
as used by White Star Lines, I don,t know if this answers your query?.
I did sail on the MV Cedric in 1967 , and did actually use the colour to paint said Funnel.(job and finish ) Im not sure if we used International paints or not as we had it decanted into pots,
best regards
Derbyroy

John & Derbyroy,

Many thanks your info. 'White Star Buff' is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Some seem to think that White Star buff was a bit more yellow but old White Star postcards and some rare colour shots of GEORGIC in the 50's seem to confirm that the buff was the same pinkish buff that was used by SS&A.

When I was in ICENIC the only colour name I remember from the paint book was was 'primrose yellow' .... to be used for the name on the bows.

Many thanks all your help.

Stephen