Ahoy,
Here the British Restraint built in 1943 and broken up in 1959;
Vessel type: Tanker
Tonnage: 8,448
Owner: BP Shipping

John_F
1st January 2007, 18:22
Ruud,
Thanks for posting - you're obviously digging deep down into your shoebox of old photos!
Completed by Cammell Laird on July 7th 1943, of 12,237 dwt, she was laid up by BP in Falmouth in December 1957. In April 1959 she was sold to the Indian Trading & Transport Establishment of Lichenstein but by May of that year she had been sold for scrap to Terreste Marittima S.p.A of Spezia. All her machinery had been removed before she was towed, interestingly, by Turmoil (she of Flying Enterprise fame) to Spezia.
I remember seeing her in Falmouth in February 1959 when I was a first trip apprentice on the Glory, there for her annual MOT, & thinking how lucky I was to be on board a large (32,000 dwt) modern vessel compared with the Restraint. In later years, I learned how wrong I was.
Many thanks, Ruud.
Kind regards,
John.

ruud
1st January 2007, 18:35
Ahoy John,
As promised, I told you to come up with some "oldies", even older as this one, but I like her this way;a nice stylish formed tanker, with a midships.
Also collect these as my favorites, and looking after them day by day.And sometimes I do receive some very old ones,as bonus, when ordered some of them.
Btw, thanks for the added info on her, most appreciated,and I think all supporters of tankers will do.At least they looked like vessels.(Thumb)
Note:
Here an example of such bonus cards, the British Lord 1922,even don't know if she was a BP tanker, but sure it's an oldie, unfortunately not the best shot, but I haven't seen her in my life before.

alastairjs
4th January 2007, 19:41
Ruud, the British Lord was one of the British Tanker Co.'s ships, built by J.L.Thompson & Sons Ltd., Sunderland, Yard No. 547, and completed in November 1922. 9,517 DWT, LBP 412', Breadth 54' 9½". She was powered by 2 steam turbines manufactured by Metropolitan Vickers Electric Company Ltd,. Manchester, double reduction geared to a single shaft providing 3,200 hp. On 21.04.1941 she was damaged by air attack off Crete, in position 34.35N, 23.32E. She was repaired and survived the rest of the war, continuing to trade until 1953 when she was sold to the British Iron and Steel Corp. and allocated to T.W.Ward of Sheffield for demolition at their Milford Haven facility. Work began on the 8th June.
Regards,
Alastair

ruud
4th January 2007, 19:58
Ahoy Alistair & Geoff,
Thanks again for these very detailed informations, most appreciated, it's good to see those comments, and I'm sure everybody here on SN, loving these "oldies", and will like and welcome it.

Thwandy
15th August 2007, 11:52
Ahoy John,
As promised, I told you to come up with some "oldies", even older as this one, but I like her this way;a nice stylish formed tanker, with a midships.
Also collect these as my favorites, and looking after them day by day.And sometimes I do receive some very old ones,as bonus, when ordered some of them.
Btw, thanks for the added info on her, most appreciated,and I think all supporters of tankers will do.At least they looked like vessels.(Thumb)
Note:
Here an example of such bonus cards, the British Lord 1922,even don't know if she was a BP tanker, but sure it's an oldie, unfortunately not the best shot, but I haven't seen her in my life before.

My log book shows that as a young Radio Officer I signed on on the British Lord (a BP Tanker) at Falmouth on the 26th August 1952, where she had been in dry dock, and signed off at Grangemouth on the 20th December 1952. I signed on again on the 27th December 1952 at Grangemouth and signed off at Neyland, Pembrokeshire on the 22 May 1953 when we took her into the brokers at Milford Haven. Immediately prior to Milford Haven we had discharged our cargo at Dunkerque.

From memory the radio cabin was at the rear of the bridge and equipped with two single valve 1Kw CW/MCW transmitters, one medium wave and the other short wave and a spark transmitter enclosed in a ¼” fire proof steel case. I cannot remember the receiver other that in common with all receivers it included an emergency cats whisker crystal receiver.

R58484956
15th August 2007, 12:19
Greetings Thwandy and welcome to SN. Enjoy the site and all it has to offer. Bon voyage.

Tony Sprigings
26th August 2007, 18:42
I came home on British Lord in 1950. My Dis.A. Book shows signed on as 2nd. Officer Bandar Mashur 11.5.50 and signed off in Swansea 14.6.50. I was ex. British Ambassador due for leave via the Steam Tug Tanumand (whilst waiting for the arrival of British Lord)