British Gannet

ruud
3rd January 2007, 15:59
Ahoy,
Another fine shot of the British Gannet 15,500 tons, during her trials on the Clyde,same Company card describtion as the Commerce.
"The British Petroleum Co. Ltd.Photograph"

gdynia
3rd January 2007, 16:04
Ruud
As follows

built by Blythswood Shipbuilding Company Scotstoun,
Yard No 127
Engines by JG Kincaid & Co Greenock
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last Name: NEWHAVEN
Previous Names: HANG JIANG
Propulsion: B&W Oil 2SA 6cy 8600bhp machy aft
Launched: Friday, 05 June 1959
Built: 1959
Ship Type: Tanker
Tonnage: 11238 grt | 15262 dwt
Length: 525 feet 4
Breadth: 69 feet 3
Draught: 29 feet 4
Owner History:
British Tanker Company London

John_F
3rd January 2007, 17:43
One of BP's good looking Bird class, I was lucky enough to serve in her as Uncertificated 3/0. Unfortunately, I only did 3 weeks on her before she went to South Shields for her annual drydocking & I was transferred again. 3 vessels in 4 weeks.
Its the best photo that I've seen of her - thanks for posting (again!) Ruud.
Kind regards,
John.

Gordon L Smeaton
3rd January 2007, 17:51
Sailed on her in 75, just before she was sold to the Chinese for further trading. Still consider this class to be the best that BP ever had

ruud
3rd January 2007, 17:58
Ahoy mates,
Thanks for the added info/details, and indeed she is a very nice looking girl, a "cracker"(Thumb)

Note: Ain't finished yet, John

heglig john
10th January 2007, 12:38
of all the bird class, never heard about the ..British Gull,,stood by her in Govan,,whe she was been built ....sailed on her for 10 month,as 4th eng after sea trials etc,,on the aussie coast...sailed with Greenock crew ,,,,,but lost so many in different ports on the way to Kwinana..mostly fighting etc ,,that we signed on a indian crew,,on our return to the u/k.....

JamesM
20th March 2008, 22:26
This was my first ship.Joined her in drydock at Swansea,early Dec.1967.( did'nt know the sharp-end from the blunt-end). First C/E was J.L. Hopper, who had a theory that the best way to adjust the seal plates on the top piston telescopics,to stop them leaking, was to do it with the engine running!!(slow revs. admittedly) He only got me involved in this caper once and I was,to say the least "sh-----g" myself. He also wanted all engineers to carry a shifting spanner in the rule pocket of their overalls on the basis that you could adjust most nuts without having to go to the workshop to fetch the proper size.When he was in the engine-room it was like watching John Wayne,with a six gun on his hip, walk by.
Must mention the 2/E J.P.Sherlock from Birkenhead(staunch Everton fan) who I was on watch with all trip(still there when I paid off in Aug.68) Great bloke.(to put up with me, that is!!)
J.L.Hopper left us after a couple of weeks, to be replaced by S.S.(Steamboat) Ritchie who was on his last trip before retiring.

More about him and the Gannet later.JamesM

spongebob
20th March 2008, 22:36
I never thought that a tanker would join my personal gallery of beautiful ships but this bird does

ron fletcher
20th March 2008, 22:50
I joined the British Gannet at Wallsend slipway in Jan 1969.We were on the coast for about 10 days then went deep sea until July.I thought it would be a good way to save some cash ......wrong.....after seven months I paid off with only 25.but what a good trip.

spongebob
20th March 2008, 22:56
Ron, you must have had a hell of a good time to have paid off with only 25 pounds after 7 months! I did that in 1957 but it was on a passenger ship

ron fletcher
20th March 2008, 23:17
Bob a good time was had by all.I went to sea a boy and came back a man.albiet a skint man.

Aberdonian
19th March 2014, 11:57
In Aug 1960, when my ship the Shell tanker Latia was discharging at La Spezia, several lads from the anchored British Gannet came over to visit us in a ship’s lifeboat. A party of us was taken over to their ship for a few afternoon beers. The Gannet was due to remain in La Spezia for a couple of months having her tanks treated with some process. Only the Fifth Engineer’s first name now comes to mind; Hector who came from Aberdeen.

Keith

sparks69
19th March 2014, 12:06
1.4.68 to 14.12.68. One of the best trips ever. Sailed with some very interesting people. B****y horrible sparks' cabin - faced aft, spent hot weather camped on deck !

jep1916
19th March 2014, 12:31
Ahoy,
Another fine shot of the British Gannet 15,500 tons, during her trials on the Clyde,same Company card describtion as the Commerce.
"The British Petroleum Co. Ltd.Photograph"

I sailed as 2/E on this twice in the early 70's. On my second trip the company ordered that the slops from a Lub Oil cargo should be put into the HFO Bunkers. Result:- We lost all the ME Fuel Pumps due to abrasive wear and both the ME Turbo - Chargers would overspeed due to the fact that the profile of the turbine ring had changed due to wax build up. Superintendent Jim Gibson came to the ship in the IOG just as I paid off. He gave me a lift to Rochester Station and grilled me all the way on what had happened. I suppose that all of the ME Fuel Pump Barrels and Plungers would have been renewed.

ninabaker
19th March 2014, 23:57
I was a deck cadet on the Gannet 22/2/75 to 2/4/75, Isle of Grain to Isle of Grain. Exciting stuff.....
I cannot recall why I was on her for such a short period as then I was transferred to the Willow for another short period, prior to college for my ticket.

I liked the birdy boats (I did a full trip on the Osprey too) and, although not an engineer at the time, relished the reciprocating steam pumps as somewhat old school.

nina

barnsey
20th March 2014, 00:28
I sailed as 2/E on this twice in the early 70's. On my second trip the company ordered that the slops from a Lub Oil cargo should be put into the HFO Bunkers.

Jep ... I was Ch/Off from 1971 - 1972 and we loaded a lube oil cargo, part in Hamburg just before Xmas where we went into a floating dock before loading. Some more was loaded in I of G and some in Swansea. The Transformer Oil was very tricky as all the cargo valves had to be hand dried with the inspection plates off etc. The instructions were that I was allowed 12 tons to load to ensure that the lines were devoid of any water, then that had to be pumped into the Bunker tanks. That must have been the cargo you have written about surely? In which case we were very lucky because in the event I only used 5 tons and not the full 12 tons allowed. Had I done so we wouldn't have got very far before your troubles manifested themselves?

Amazing stuff ... apparently about the same value as Whisky. When we were loading it I "kittens" when the 3rd mate came up to my office and said he couldnt see any cargo in the tanks, we were loading with the tank lids up. I went down the tank to look and nearly stepped into the stuff .... it was optically clear !!! The tank was in fact half full!

As I recall we went to Lagos and then Durban then Kwinana and Fiji? I paid off in Bombay.

twogrumpy
20th March 2014, 17:13
The infamous "Lube oil cargo" rings a bell, was it said that it gave the best ever run of disscharge ports, the other comment being that if you were considering hi-jacking a tanker with the intention of selling on the cargo, a full load of lubes was the thing to go for.

Knowing how fussy they are about the testing of transformer oils, I am surprised they let it into the tanks of a BP tanker.

2G

barnsey
20th March 2014, 21:51
The infamous "Lube oil cargo" rings a bell, was it said that it gave the best ever run of disscharge ports, the other comment being that if you were considering hi-jacking a tanker with the intention of selling on the cargo, a full load of lubes was the thing to go for.

Knowing how fussy they are about the testing of transformer oils, I am surprised they let it into the tanks of a BP tanker.

2G

Oh HO! thats a very challenging remark 2G ..... jealous are we? I'll have you know my tank cleaning skills were superb, never any problems and a couple of times very high praise .... even had a Marine Supt cancel the two days he had booked for us in a tank cleaning berth due to my tanks being perfect!!

Hope your bunkers receive a healthy dosage of Transformer oil!!!

Can't see that Lagos was a good port alongside that bloody cattle abattoir ..... godforsaken hole.

As for nicking a cargo of Lube oil a lot it was for blending so not really stuff you could instantly flog like motor spirit. Ever worked out what a cargo of say 25,000 metric tons of Motor Spirit is worth ...retail??

clarkie59
20th March 2014, 22:18

2G

Best ports? How about discharging in Port Sudan as we did on the Holly inJan 1972. That certainly brought us down to earth after Durban and Mombasa!

jep1916
21st March 2014, 13:44
Jep ... I was Ch/Off from 1971 - 1972 and we loaded a lube oil cargo, part in Hamburg just before Xmas where we went into a floating dock before loading. Some more was loaded in I of G and some in Swansea. The Transformer Oil was very tricky as all the cargo valves had to be hand dried with the inspection plates off etc. The instructions were that I was allowed 12 tons to load to ensure that the lines were devoid of any water, then that had to be pumped into the Bunker tanks. That must have been the cargo you have written about surely? In which case we were very lucky because in the event I only used 5 tons and not the full 12 tons allowed. Had I done so we wouldn't have got very far before your troubles manifested themselves?

Amazing stuff ... apparently about the same value as Whisky. When we were loading it I "kittens" when the 3rd mate came up to my office and said he couldnt see any cargo in the tanks, we were loading with the tank lids up. I went down the tank to look and nearly stepped into the stuff .... it was optically clear !!! The tank was in fact half full!

As I recall we went to Lagos and then Durban then Kwinana and Fiji? I paid off in Bombay.

Barnsey, I am not sure if we are talking about the same cargo here. As I remember it, the C/E put all the slops into the Port HFO Tank instead of splitting the slops between the two HFO Bunker Tanks and it was this action that the company seized upon. The C/E left BP Shipping after this incident after pressure from the company, which I thought was very unfair.

twogrumpy
21st March 2014, 17:48
Best ports? How about discharging in Port Sudan as we did on the Holly inJan 1972. That certainly brought us down to earth after Durban and Mombasa!

As the old song goes, "Two out of three ain't bad", clearly some of the lube runs where not as good as the story, possibly rose tinted glasses.

Barnsey, would I ever doubt your tank cleaning skills(Jester).

On bird boat runs, how about Mombassa, three ports in Madagascar, Reunion then Aden(yeah I know), full cargo for Sattahip.

2G