British Laurel

ruud
3rd January 2007, 16:14
Ahoy,
Here 2 for the price of 1;(Thumb)
First shot of the British Laurel,19,000 tons was from "The British Petroleum Co. Ltd.Photograph" and taken during her trials off the Swedish coast

Second shot taken by courtesy/ J.K. de Vries- S.A.

benjidog
3rd January 2007, 16:40
Hi again Ruud,

This one was in the collection as well:

Shipping Commpany: BP Tanker Co. Ltd.
Type:Tanker 985,000 Cu Ft
Launched: 1965
Tonnage Gross: 13512
Tonnage Net: 7759
DWT:20834
Builder: Eriksberg MV. Gothenburg

Regards,

Brian

John_F
3rd January 2007, 17:23
Ruud & Brian,
She was completed in June 1965 & spent 16 years with the Company before she was sold to Armadores Mariella S.A. of Panama & renamed Maribruna IV in 1981. In 1983 she was again sold to another Panamanian company, Globemaster Shipping Inc. & renamed Marianthi M.
On October 12th 1987 she was struck by a missile & bombs from an Iraqi aircraft, 60 miles south of Kharg Island. One missile lodged in her boiler but failed to explode. One crew member was killed. In 1990 she was sold to another Panamanian company, Sea King Maritime Inc. & renamed Sea Moon. In 1992 she was sold again to Bakri Navigation Co. Ltd. of Saudi Arabia & renamed Moug Al Bahr. She ended her days at Alang on November 7th 1995.
Quite a history - thanks for posting Ruud.
Kind regards,
John.

chouston
12th July 2008, 23:53
Hi,

I sailed on the Br Laurel on the 1965 trial and for another year as Junior Eng. Best ship I ever sailed on.

Charles (Cas) Houston

derekhore
14th July 2008, 17:47
Was on the Laurel in 1973, beginning of Feb till the end of June, including a dry-dock in Bremerhaven

I remember that Arthur Marshall was the Old Man...Dave Thomas from Hooe(Plymouth) was the 3rd Mate.

Great runs from Grain & Swansea.

John Finlay
15th January 2009, 23:49
I sailed on the Laurel in 1979 it was my first trip to sea. I really enjoyed my time on there. Fine old ship she was.

stewart4866
16th January 2009, 11:30
I sailed on her three sister ships, hawthorn, hazel and fern good boats and great trips.

iainr
16th January 2009, 23:52
I joined the Laurel in Eriksberg and took her out as 4/E on 2/6/65 returning for the first docking on 13/6/66. Lovely ship to work on!

fishcake
17th January 2009, 00:47
Joined the Laurel as 1st trip cadet and was put straight on the 8-12 as they only had 2 J/Engs. Spent 6 months on that ship coastal trading North West Europe for the whole winter, mostly at Swansea. The bar had a glass ornament given by Eriksbergs, Was it a bear? can't remember.We had an Indian crew who were really good. J/Engs and upwards were woken up with a cup of tea and slice of toast.

peterjholcroft
5th February 2009, 12:16
Joined the Laurel as 1st trip cadet and was put straight on the 8-12 as they only had 2 J/Engs. Spent 6 months on that ship coastal trading North West Europe for the whole winter, mostly at Swansea. The bar had a glass ornament given by Eriksbergs, Was it a bear? can't remember.We had an Indian crew who were really good. J/Engs and upwards were woken up with a cup of tea and slice of toast.

The glass ornament had a small bears head at the bottom. When the reflection of the ornament was viewed in one of the windows it looked like a neanderthal man.

I sailed on the Laurel, as third Mate, with Derek Goodwin. The ship was trading up the Baltic in winter. I seem to remember that the Laurel was always a happy and warm ship and I can remember always being called with a cup of tea.

Graham Wallace
7th February 2009, 02:07
I took this photo of the 'new' laurel in 2004 in Nanaimo BC, the first BP Tanker I had seen since 1961.

BP must be short of hull paint
Graham

oilybob
11th June 2009, 01:39
Graham,
Ah yes the new laurel hull paint episode, I took her out of the shipyard from Tsunishi shipbuilding, Japan and we then loaded out maiden cargo down to brisbane australia.
It was there that we found that the first bit of the paint has started to fall off, and it just got worse the further we went, the name had to be repainted twice, we then spent a year on the west coast of the US and canada carring out lightering operations where you took the photo of her.

If the photos I attach work you can see the 'orca' effect a bit more clearly, after the year of lightering the paint really had taken a hammering, you would not think that at the time of her first drydock she was only 2 and half years old. :sweat:

The arguments over the paint went on and on, I cannot recall who had to cough up for the full blast and recoat that was required, the paint was obviously just not applied correctly. Given the state of the paint job that was done in the engine room it did not suprise me much.

Strangly enough there never was any offical photos taken of the ship on its first discharge, or any after that I recall.

rob

Graham Wallace
15th June 2009, 05:56
Rob,
'Orca' is a refined term, your 'senior 'called it at the time a 'Friesien Cow'.

Graham

JohnBP
17th June 2009, 18:28
I took this photo of the 'new' laurel in 2004 in Nanaimo BC, the first BP Tanker I had seen since 1961.

BP must be short of hull paint
Graham

Graham, BP went into Nanaimo????

Graham Wallace
23rd June 2009, 16:31
Graham, BP went into Nanaimo????

John, They were anchored off in the outer harbour, on R&R from lightening the VLCC's into the US from Iraq.

I still see the odd BP tanker anchored in English Bay Vancouver on the same R&R deal (smarter than R&R in Nanaimo), last one was the Birch.

Graham

Pat Kennedy
23rd June 2009, 20:47
Talking about BP hull paint; we had British Laurel and British Holly in drydock at Birkenhead for the full shot blast treatment, tanks and hull in the late 1970s
When the Holly sailed there were a few drums of green boot topping left on the dockside, which naturally was divvied up amongst the lads.
I painted my house, window frames, doors, soffits etc, and wrought iron fencing, with that paint. that was in 1978 I think.
I moved out of that house in 1980, but I walked past it last week and that paintjob is still perfect, nearly thirty years later.
Pat

jmcg
23rd June 2009, 22:34
Surprised you didn't give it a wee sugi Pat.

BW

J

Pat Kennedy
23rd June 2009, 22:43
The thing is John, the house I'm living in now, I've had to paint four times since 1980, after about seven or eight years even the best household paint is starting to deteriorate. But the BP boot topping just goes on and on.
I also used some RFA non slip flight deck paint on the slates of a half roof and thats still in perfect nick.
Pat(Thumb)

Graham Wallace
25th June 2009, 17:16
John, They were anchored off in the outer harbour, on R&R from lightening the VLCC's into the US from Iraq.

I still see the odd BP tanker anchored in English Bay Vancouver on the same R&R deal (smarter than R&R in Nanaimo), last one was the Birch.

Graham

Ooops I meant BEECH

Graham