Hear Those Radio Stations again!

tedc
3rd January 2007, 19:41
Ex R/Os may be interested in this website

http://www.seefunker.de/homepage/seefunk.htm

This is a german website but you can click for english language pages.

What they have there are recorded calling signals, in Morse Code, for many of the shore stations we will remember from our time at sea.

There is a world map and you pick out stations you would like to hear "for old times sake...!"

Enjoy

K urgess
3rd January 2007, 20:24
Great fun.

I'd forgotten how atonal GLD sounded and how "Geordie" GCC sounded.

Back on the last watch before turning in listening on 500 after 30 years this year.
:sweat:

gwzm
3rd January 2007, 22:51
Ted, Those guys in Germany also do a CD with lots of signals from various coast stations - pure nostalgia for us old sparkies.

John/gwzm

ernhelenbarrett
4th January 2007, 01:42
Its amazing just how many countries still have Coast Radio Stations operating CW/MF in the 305-574Khz Band,Stations such as 7TA, 7TO 5AL CWA JCG C6N JIT A3A FJA CTQ YIR VWP HLY 9KK VWN S3D 4PB S3E 5ZF VWB STP VWM and XSG to name a few. For the full list of over 4 pages try coastalradio.org.uk
Regards Ern Barrett ex R/O

tunatownshipwreck
4th January 2007, 04:50
I found an LP of the life story of Nikola Tesla as told in morse code. Riveting.

mikeg
4th January 2007, 09:18
Whoa, an excellent site. Brings it all back to me again, thanks tedc.
I especially liked the morse instructions in english, nice touch and also Cullercoats call to Niton. Thats the magic of SN, wonderful stuff.

Mike

Trevorw
4th January 2007, 21:00
Great idea, but I listened to GKZ and GNF. Not in a million years was that their "fist". Then to convince myself I listened to PCH - the home of the best keying anywhere - it wasn't them!

mikeg
4th January 2007, 21:27
Great idea, but I listened to GKZ and GNF. Not in a million years was that their "fist". Then to convince myself I listened to PCH - the home of the best keying anywhere - it wasn't them!

I must admit I also had reservations regarding PCH, I just wondered if it was during the latter days of morse usage after I'd left the sea and things could have been different.

Mike

Robinj
4th January 2007, 21:58
Great stuff didn't half bring back memories.

niggle
6th January 2007, 18:55
For those old R/O's hankering for a bit of nostalgia there is a DVD which films the final hour of UK coast station GLD 500Khz watchkeeping where my uncle worked and with who I had many chats whilst I was either outward or homeward bound in the late seventies and early eighties as R/O on box boats for BSSM. Its called QRT500 and is available from
www.greatbritainonline.co.uk. I originally found this DVD via this site so bend your plastic and grab a hanky, sit back and enjoy the "old days".

ps for those who are not initiated into the black art of reading morse they have included a transcipt.

K urgess
6th January 2007, 19:05
Well spotted, Niggle.

Just ordered one. Hope they don't run out now that everybody knows about it.(EEK)

All set for a bit of nostalgia when it arrives.:sweat:

mikeg
6th January 2007, 20:15
Well spotted, Niggle.

Just ordered one. Hope they don't run out now that everybody knows about it.(EEK)

All set for a bit of nostalgia when it arrives.:sweat:

Sold another one.

mikeg
9th January 2007, 20:04
For those old R/O's hankering for a bit of nostalgia there is a DVD which films the final hour of UK coast station GLD 500Khz watchkeeping where my uncle worked and with who I had many chats whilst I was either outward or homeward bound in the late seventies and early eighties as R/O on box boats for BSSM. Its called QRT500 and is available from
www.greatbritainonline.co.uk. I originally found this DVD via this site so bend your plastic and grab a hanky, sit back and enjoy the "old days".

ps for those who are not initiated into the black art of reading morse they have included a transcipt.

Niggle,
Many thanks. I received my copy of the DVD today, just this moment finished watching it. It brought floods of tears to my eyes (you get more emotional after 60 years old I've heard), especially GLD's final transmission and then shutting down the equipment. Seemed like pulling the plug on a life-support machine to me..maybe that's just what is was.
73's

Mike

K urgess
9th January 2007, 22:31
Niggle,
Many thanks. I received my copy of the DVD today, just this moment finished watching it. It brought floods of tears to my eyes (you get more emotional after 60 years old I've heard), especially GLD's final transmission and then shutting down the equipment. Seemed like pulling the plug on a life-support machine to me..maybe that's just what is was.
73's

Mike

Niggle and Mike

Got mine today as well, the weepiest movie I've ever watched.

Wasn't 500 quiet? When I left you couldn't normally get a word in edgeways.

Well, it's even quieter now!:sweat:

Thanks for the recommendation, Niggle. TKS OM 73s AR
I shall watch it again on my PC but with my headphones on next time and have the Kleenex handy.(Thumb)

Cheers
Kris

Coastie
10th January 2007, 01:09
Ex R/Os may be interested in this website

http://www.seefunker.de/homepage/seefunk.htm

This is a german website but you can click for english language pages.

What they have there are recorded calling signals, in Morse Code, for many of the shore stations we will remember from our time at sea.

There is a world map and you pick out stations you would like to hear "for old times sake...!"

Enjoy

I've just been onto that site and heard Anglesey Radio's ID.
I'd never heard it before, although I do remember hearing the radio station on my Dad's, now mine, old Pye radio which had Marine band. (Sadly though, the Pye set no longer works. It was left switched on for years beside my bed, but I had to move house and it was switched off, never to work again)
Thanks for that link, it was very interesting.

R651400
10th January 2007, 08:18
I worked at both GND (noticeably absent) and GCC and also doubt the authenticity of any of the MF British stations. GCC was a real rasper and to be calling GNI in this example just to send "best regards good night" is a bit far-fetched.
PCH is probably genuine being a HF tuning sig. On 500 kcs PCH had a slight pause on start-up keydown which made it stand out from the rest. DAN was very soft. EJK and EJM were real warblers.
The best "fist" on the coast station circuit in my time, Des Kernaghan at GKZ who could send up to and above 40wpm in any style imagineable.
Des if you are out there, pse QSO.
Malcolm

Mimcoman
12th July 2008, 01:30
Hi Malcolm:

I was at the yearly reunion of the GND staff (what's left of them!) at the end of June. Among the attendees were Eddie Adams, Bob Adams and Adam Reid, who are among the last of the "Old Timers", if I may use that phrase. Still around but not attending are Eddie MacRae and Archie Berry. From the next generation were Alistair Watt, John Stewart, Sandy Grant, Al Taylor plus myself and Les Anderson, Allan Cunnison, Mike Moir and Ian Cameron. There's a lot of silent keys, though, eg Charlie Mearns, Ken Foster, Dougie Davidson, Donald MacPherson, Norman Murray, etc.

Can I ask when you were at GND/GCC? - I was at GND from 1979-1998.

Rgds/Bill Smith

BobClay
12th July 2008, 22:22
What an interesting site !

I once got qry62 at GKB. And was worked within an hour. Good lads at that station.

R651400
14th July 2008, 06:00
Hi Malcolm:

I was at the yearly reunion of the GND staff (what's left of them!) at the end of June. Among the attendees were Eddie Adams, Bob Adams and Adam Reid, who are among the last of the "Old Timers", if I may use that phrase. Still around but not attending are Eddie MacRae and Archie Berry. From the next generation were Alistair Watt, John Stewart, Sandy Grant, Al Taylor plus myself and Les Anderson, Allan Cunnison, Mike Moir and Ian Cameron. There's a lot of silent keys, though, eg Charlie Mearns, Ken Foster, Dougie Davidson, onald MacPherson, Norman Murray, etc.
Can I ask when you were at GND/GCC? - I was at GND from 1979-1998.
Rgds/Bill Smith

Hi Bill,
GND approx September 64 to October 65. I think Eddie Macrae moved into my slot.
Missing from your list of old timers was Bob Fox and Alex Watters.
Sad to see the SK's from my time.
Ken Foster Oic.
Big Donald Macpherson torpedoed twice during the war and renowned for his home-brew curries on nights.
Norman Murray must have been in the army. I recall he "procured" a Japanese officer's sword after a surrender which belonged to a Samurai family and which he was able to return eventually to the delight of this officer's family.
Wish I had seen this yesterday to jog my memory as I was at lunch with a visitor from Stonehaven who started his apprenticeship '64 at the Invercarron garage.
Regards
Malcolm

Mimcoman
14th July 2008, 17:52
Hi Bill,
GND approx September 64 to October 65. I think Eddie Macrae moved into my slot.
Missing from your list of old timers was Bob Fox and Alex Watters.
Sad to see the SK's from my time.
Ken Foster Oic.
Big Donald Macpherson torpedoed twice during the war and renowned for his home-brew curries on nights.
Norman Murray must have been in the army. I recall he "procured" a Japanese officer's sword after a surrender which belonged to a Samurai family and which he was able to return eventually to the delight of this officer's family.
Wish I had seen this yesterday to jog my memory as I was at lunch with a visitor from Stonehaven who started his apprenticeship '64 at the Invercarron garage.
Regards
Malcolm
Many thanks, Malcolm:
I don't know about Bob - certainly he was still around a few years ago - but Alex (a real gentleman, I thought) is no longer with us, I'm afraid.
Donald MacPherson used to say that, one night while he was on his break, Alex came in and virtually dragged him into the Ops room, where he had switched off everything possible. Alex said "This'll be the only time you've seen the room in complete darkness." Dan said he dashed around the room switching on the receivers, etc, while expressing his view of Alex' parentage. Alex left about a year or so after I joined in 1979 and didn't have a long retirement, I'm afraid. Neither did Dan - only about 9 months.
Do you remember Dan's "Pope's Eye Souchle"? - a beef stew?
Best regards
Bill

R651400
15th July 2008, 04:08
Do you remember Dan's "Pope's Eye Souchle"? - a beef stew?

It was curry in my time Bill and that made your eyes water if not pop!
Alex Watters was what I can only describe as a gentle "Incredible Hulk" giant.
Walking to the station and being met by Alex on his old fashioned upright bike could be a death sentence in itself, and that was after he got off!
The loveliest softest R/T voice on the entire coast station circuit yet when he gripped the key to send "CQ de GND" you thought it was going to be ripped right off the console desk.
Alex told me he was one of the first to do national service and because of his "coordination problems" was excused carrying a rifle and guard duty to prevent squad if not regiment decimation.
It's a pleasure to have the opportunity to give "silent key" characters and gentlemen such as Alex Watters, Don Macpherson and Norman Murray a mention after all those years.
Best regards,
Malcolm

djringjr
12th February 2014, 14:25
I found an LP of the life story of Nikola Tesla as told in morse code. Riveting.

That sounds very interesting.

You lads might be interested in some other recordings including the ones you've mentioned http://tinyurl.com/djringjr don't be scared off by the first one being WBZ MF DX recording, there's mostly WT recordings at that link.

For example, this one which is called "Channel Tea Party" http://archive.org/details/ChannelTeaParty recorded by Chas Henry, VA3CH a former Marconi man in EU, mostly in the Suez.

Anyone is welcome to the Radio-Officers google group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/radio-officers

R/O David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA (n1ea@arrl.net)
http://www.qsl.net/n1ea/

J. Davies
12th February 2014, 15:49
worked ZSC a great deal in the '70s and '80s.... the calling tape of Capetown Radio is 100% genuine. It ends with K TET, very distinctive, .... it still goes through my head more than 30 years later... help !

tunatownshipwreck
12th February 2014, 17:54
A further note on the Tesla LP, I lent it and a few others to Dave Letterman's TV show to be used in a recurring segment "Dave's Record Collection". It was at least 10 years ago. It did get used in the show.

endure
12th February 2014, 18:20
Just ordered the DVD :-)

djringjr
12th February 2014, 20:37
Just ordered the DVD :-)

I have permission to distribute the DVD from the author.
I could have sent it to you via instant messenger file transfer. Or you send me a candy bar or a tin of spotted dick or a tin of treacle, and I'll send it to you by post or transfer the file by Internet.

The author never got paid, so I'd rather not enrich the distributor.

David

Duncan112
12th February 2014, 20:43
A further note on the Tesla LP, I lent it and a few others to Dave Letterman's TV show to be used in a recurring segment "Dave's Record Collection". It was at least 10 years ago. It did get used in the show.

Pity I can't read morse for Tesla has always fascinated me - however a google revealed this.. http://www.n4mw.com/CPRecords/cpr33rpm.htm

Third line down, second from right hand end

tunatownshipwreck
13th February 2014, 00:40
Pity I can't read morse for Tesla has always fascinated me - however a google revealed this.. http://www.n4mw.com/CPRecords/cpr33rpm.htm

Third line down, second from right hand end

That's the record I have.

sparks69
15th February 2014, 17:37
Brings tears to my eyes

endure
15th February 2014, 18:17
I have permission to distribute the DVD from the author.
I could have sent it to you via instant messenger file transfer. Or you send me a candy bar or a tin of spotted dick or a tin of treacle, and I'll send it to you by post or transfer the file by Internet.

The author never got paid, so I'd rather not enrich the distributor.

David

Too late now. It's been paid for and is in the post to me (MAD)

IAN M
15th February 2014, 18:27
I worked at GKR AND GKA from 1953 till 1956 and have recorded what it was like to work at these stations during that period in my Kindle book, LAST VOYAGE AND BEYOND, published by my daughter, Moira.

LAST VOYAGE = on the Blue Funnel ship, Deucalion, and BEYOND = the coast stations.

The only name I recognize in these postings is Norman Murray who was at Wick with me.

Regards

Ian

GW3OQK
16th February 2014, 11:54
I saw/heard a poor recording of the QRT years ago. Farewells from as far away as Canada (VCM?). I recall the sending from GND sounded somewhat influenced by Whiskey with a final "Slange!" Well worth getting.
Andrew

R651400
16th February 2014, 12:09
Let's hope you're right EXRO that wee nip of "John Barleycorn" was well deserved.

Troppo
17th February 2014, 00:45
VIS5 (12 MHz) was never chirpy like that....

Dodgy.

endure
17th February 2014, 19:51
Is there any video/audio of the shutdown broadcast by Portishead anywhere on the 'net?

GW3OQK
28th February 2014, 16:20
Apologies GND/GCC whose sending was excellent, it was GKR sounded a bit Hogmanayish to me and I think slainte is pronounced slange. Yes well deserved indeed. By the way I go on 472.5 CW now and then with my T1154.
Andrew

Ivinghoe
18th August 2014, 20:48
I always had a high regard for PCH