Ben boats in Soviet service

Aristo
8th January 2007, 10:45
I recently came up with some little known information on three early Ben boats.
Benavon (I), Benlawers (II) and Benledi were built in 1904/05 and sold in 1930to the USSR to become floating crab processing factories. According to Lloyds register and from what is writen in most available sources in the web:

All three ships were deleted in 1959 from Lloyds Register as assumed no longer in service. Lloyds usually deletes a vessel from its register when she is unaccounted for a long period of time.

However in the following site there is another story
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=78290&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180
there is some info that Benavon and Benlawers survived that date and were still extant in 1970 at the age of 65!
Well done Bartram & Sons (Thumb)

Also concerning Benledi it mentions that:

CHETVERTYI KRABALOV
1904 Completed as BENLEDI (W. Thompson & Co.)
1930 CHETVERTYI KRABALOV (Krabotrest) as crab cannery
1937 CHETVERTYI KRABALOV (Krabomorzverotrest)
1942 Requisitioned for war time transport operations
1944 CHETVERTYI KRABALOV (WSA) under reverse Lend Lease 12.6.44
1944 CHETVERTYI KRABALOV (Navy Dept) 30.10.44; abandoned in US as unfit.

I am puzzled with the info on Benledi because if she was indeed abandoned in the US she would have been disposed in a way that Lloyds could record (p.ex scrapping).
Has anyone something more tangible on her final fate?

roymuir
8th January 2007, 12:32
G'day again Aristo,
Another two Ben boats that ended up in the USSR were BENCLEUCH (III) of 1901 which was renamed VTOROI KRABOLOV (SECOND CRABBERY) and BENDORAN (I) of 1908 which was renamed SNABJENETS VTOROI (SECOND PROVISIONSTORE).
Certainly a tribute to Bartrams, four of the five were all built by them.
If I find any more info I will post it here.
Thanks again, Roy.

gdynia
8th January 2007, 12:53
One of them I believe is still in service in St.Pauls Island in the Bering Sea

roymuir
8th January 2007, 13:00
I wonder if there is any way of finding out for certain Gdynia, short of going there that is?
Regards, Roy.

gdynia
8th January 2007, 13:08
I read it somewhere Roy it was about that Documentary "Deadliest Catch"

Aristo
8th January 2007, 16:28
One of them I believe is still in service in St.Pauls Island in the Bering Sea

Gdynia, are you sure it is St.Paul island? this is US territory and I doubt that they would use such a veteran. If one is still around maybe it will be in a Russian fishing port in Sakhalin or Kamchatka.

gdynia
8th January 2007, 16:46
Gdynia, are you sure it is St.Paul island? this is US territory and I doubt that they would use such a veteran. If one is still around maybe it will be in a Russian fishing port in Sakhalin or Kamchatka.

No Aristo it was definetely St. Pauls and I believe the company were called Trident Seafoods

Aristo
8th January 2007, 17:27
Just visited trident seafoods site at
http://www.tridentseafoods.com/navigate.asp?SecVar=b&SubSecVar=b7&SubSec2Var=b7c
and they do own some fish processing vessel, some ww2 vintage, but not any of the Ben boats.

Aristo
8th January 2007, 21:19
G'day again Aristo,
Another two Ben boats that ended up in the USSR were BENCLEUCH (III) of 1901 which was renamed VTOROI KRABOLOV (SECOND CRABBERY) and BENDORAN (I) of 1908 which was renamed SNABJENETS VTOROI (SECOND PROVISIONSTORE).

I checked with my sources and I found that Bencleuch (3) also survived for long as she was scrapped in USSR in 1970.

Bendoran (1) also surved in the cannery business and was wrecked in the Stone of Danger at the La Perouse Strait, on 26/6/41 or according to other sources in 1940.

There were some photos of the ships in sovier service but I think that the russian site that had them is currently not available.

roymuir
8th January 2007, 21:40
Great stuff Aristo!
Once again thanks for your efforts. I have been at a dead-end for years with these ships, now virtually all sorted in 24 hrs. Certainly is amazing how long they lasted, I wouldn't think they would ever have been looked after like they would have been with Ben Line. "Yacht" like.
Regards, Roy.

mjbollinger
20th October 2007, 01:47
Hello,

I'm the source of the information in the original quote. The data on the fate of CHETVERTYI KRABALOV is from the U.S. Dept of Commerce Vessel Status Card Index. This is (was -- it is now offline) database on ship registrations in the U.S. This ship, along with GILYAK, were in effect condemned by US authorities. I do not know if they were scrapped or sunk in target practice.

MB