Tyneside shipwreck

Mac
10th January 2007, 09:16
As a young boy I can vaguely remember being taken to Tynemouth by train from Newcastle and seeing a Greek cargo ship aground on the rocks which I seem to remember being just to the north of the North Tyne pier.
This must have been between 1946 and 1953(when I went to sea), probably earlier than later.
Grateful for any help, I have tried google to no avail.

Cheers

Mac

ray1buck1
10th January 2007, 09:51
I could have been the "SS Zephyros" which was driven on the rock in the winter of 1947 (Maybe )
Ray

ray1buck1
10th January 2007, 11:06
Mac
a bit about the wreck http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/mk4custompages/CustomPage.aspx?PageID=32522&sectionID=6149
Ray

Mac
11th January 2007, 01:42
Ray

Thankyou, this must be the one, I was ten when she went aground, so the old cells must still be holding together, sixty years later.

Thanks again

Mac

raybnz
11th January 2007, 06:38
My wife has talked with me many times about this ship and how her dad took her down to see it.

She tells me it was on the 'Long Sands' which only you local lads would know about.

So the mystery has been solved.Thankyou

Mac
11th January 2007, 08:09
Ray
Thank you . I know the Long Sands well, was there a couple of years ago.Interesting to me is that "Zephyros" was the Greek God of the west wind, but I would bet that it was a geordie northeast gale that blew her ashore. I would like to know more of this stranding if anyone has the story.

Cheers

Mac

ray1buck1
11th January 2007, 09:30
Like you Mac
I have recollections of a wreck about the end of the war 1945/1946, Id be about 7/8 years old, this was just a 100 yards or so off the south side of the South Shields pier head , it was there for some time it looked as if it was the stern half only, I was given to believe it was a casualty of the war , I never knew the name of the vessel or indeed what happened to it,
If ant one can throw any light on the subject I would be pleased to hear,
Ray

Joe Rooney
11th January 2007, 17:47
I don't think that could have been Zephyros!

As I remember she went aground on the Middens, and was brokrn up on site.

During late 1939, early 1940 the BTC tanker British Officer and a much larger Norwegian passenger ship were mined within hours of each other off the South pier. The "Officer" was towed to just inside the South pier, where she grounded. The Norwegian liner broke her back just outside the South pier, and sank there.

Some salvage occurred on the the "Officer" as she lay, her bow section was moved upriver, and scrapped there.

As late as 1946, salvage operations continued on both sides of the pier, and I believe that eventually a burial site was blasted North of the pier, and the remnats of the British Officer settled into it.

But there were several groundings and total losses on both sides of the Tyne entrance , both during, and long after the war!

Joe

ray1buck1
11th January 2007, 20:38
Joe
Extract from http://www.southtynesidetoday.co.uk/mk4custompages/CustomPage.aspx?PageID=32522&sectionID=6149
"
During the Second World War, the station was fully manned and was damaged by a parachute mine which landed on the rocks close by. The parachute was recovered by the staff later.
The staff became members of the Home Guard and carried their rifles into the station.
During the winter of 1947, a Greek cargo ship Zephyros was driven on to the rocks of Table Bay, next to the rocky promontory where the station is sited.
The wreck lay stranded for several years, slowly disintegrating. Eventually she was broken-up by several scrap merchants.
After the war, in 1951, the station was revamped and new transmitters installed. The staff had increased to about 15 due to an increasing workload.
The rocky promontory on which the station is sited has long been prone to erosion, and caves undermining the foundations threatened the supports for the antennas."

Thanks for the information on the vessels on the south pier, that souns very much like them
Ray

Robert
11th January 2007, 21:24
IS THIS THE ex- CHERRY BRANCH, ex-DUNEDIN THE Zephyros was a steel,4,796-ton,Greek-registered steamship with dimensions of 121.92m length, 15.77m beam and 5.41m draught. She was built as the Dunedin by C. Conell & Co Ltd at Glasgow in 1909 and owned at the time of lossby the Zephyros Steam Ship Co. Ltd. On 26 February 1947 the Zephyros was in ballast on passage from rouen for the Tyne when she was driven ashore at Brown,s point, under the cullercoats, Radio station, during a south-easterly gale