The Transatlantic Liners

jimmys
10th January 2007, 20:48
In my time in Blue Funnel the 1960's the facility was there to join the Round the World service in New York via the grand old ladies the Mary and the Elizabeth. I did not do it but I am led to belief it was available.

Do we now have anyone who availed themselves of this service or has heard of it.

Best regards
jimmys

makko
10th January 2007, 21:41
Hi Jimmy,

I was on the Barber Blue Sea service with Blueys in the eighties. However, the only way to get on the QM was to go and see it at Long Beach!

The service at this time was run in conjunction with Wilh. Wilhelmsen, big Ro-Ros (Barber Priam, B. Perseus and B. Hector) doing the main ports and "M" boats doing liner and feeder service (Barber Memnon, B.Menestheus.....?).

RoRo oyages started in Houston, then New Orleans, Miami, Norfolk, Baltimore, New York, Jeddah, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Singapore, Hong Kong,Keelung, Kaoshiung, Kobe, Osaka, Yokohama,Los Angeles, Panama, Houston, Miami, New York (end of voyage, to Houston - coasting run i.e. load)

M boats did New York, St John, Jeddah, Penang, Singapore, Djakarta, Surabaya, Bangkok, keelung, Kaoshiung, Kobe, Osaka, Yokohama, Seattle, Vancouver, "out" ports inland B.C., San Francisco, Los Angeles, Panama,Maracaibo, Puerto Cabello, La Guaira, Houston, New Orleans, Miami, Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore, New York. Sometimes more ports were added, i.e. Guayaquil, Philipines etc.

Deep Sea was two months! 21+ knots service speed. on the RoRos. The trip was 4 months on the "M"s

Regards,

Dave R.