BP Shipping "The Flag"

Gordon L Smeaton
11th January 2007, 15:43
All

BP Shipping now publish "The Flag" the replacement for the Fleet News of old, this can be found by logging into the following site

http:\\www.ibackup.com

Username: bpshipping02
Login : flag01

The site has all the issues, currently No.16 Dec 2006 on the website

As far as I know it is open to anyone

Regards

Gordon L Smeaton

R58484956
11th January 2007, 16:01
NO entry for a Cunard man.?

paul0510
11th January 2007, 16:32
cheers, Gordon, looks like interesting reading although I don't suppose for one minute that I'll recognise any names or faces??!!

connie
11th January 2007, 17:47
gordon, thanks for your help yesterday. just visited the flag, it served as a reminder why i avoid bp products like the plaque! ther catering super was bragging about training cooks in manilla. and i see most of there crew are still foreign. no wonder they dropped the slogan britain at its best.
regards connie

gurneya
12th April 2008, 11:42
Gordon
Loved you bit in the BP Fleet. Took me back a bit. Andy G passed me the links.

Hope your doing well, must catch up.

Regards
Alan

twogrumpy
12th April 2008, 17:48
Gordon
I put the info about "The Flag" on the site a few weeks back.

I also said what a load of PC-PR, garbage it was. We used the think the "Fleet News" was poor, but Flag is the pitts.
twogrumpy

James_C
12th April 2008, 18:10
You're not wrong twogrumpy.
To my mind it's as bad if not worse as "Pravda" in the heady days of the old Workers Paradise.

theold49'er
2nd May 2008, 00:10
The Flag is making believe that we all work for them as one big happy family, basicaly it's all bullshi? and a waste of space. Have just lost my vessel to Indian manning.

James_C
2nd May 2008, 00:43
Dave,
I think I've sailed with you at some point - possibly an S boat.

Is this you on the right playing the part of Neptune at a crossing the line circa 2001 on the Skill? From (hazy) memory I think Andy Shearer was the Queen with other luminaries such as Martin Mansbridge, Terry Lowe and Dave Fothergill.
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2022/ppuser/438
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2023/ppuser/438

twogrumpy
2nd May 2008, 07:54
49'er
What is the position now, are you agency employed, or actually on the books of BP?
Thought I saw somewhere that you were "all" being taken back within the BP fold, by "all" I mean the Britts, those that are left.
twogrumpy

Gordon L Smeaton
2nd May 2008, 17:42
Twogrumpy

The situation regarding employment with BP is basically still agency, new contracts issued to everyone about 18 months ago, new employer is BPMS Singapore, no change from the contract issued from Bermuda, a few fringe benefits, airport lounge access, can buy cars etc with a discount but no pension rights. So all in all no change.

Gordon L Smeaton

willhastie
5th May 2008, 13:21
just had a read of that tatty rag,far to slick for its own good,the fleet news was a good read edited by someone who had tasted salt,

wa002f0328
5th May 2008, 19:13
Are we talking of the British tankers of the 60s or the modern day vessels?

Geoff_E
5th May 2008, 23:17
I came across a couple of familiar names in the in the one "Flag" that I read online ( names from the "real" BP of long ago).

It did strike me as a pretty nauseous publication! There must be those with a higher boredom threshold (or bullshit resistance) than me.

'86 gave a clear signal to go - I went!

twogrumpy
6th May 2008, 20:35
Seem to recall an editorial in one issue, where in reply to some not very complimentary comments about the publication, the writer stated that "The Flag" was not really aimed at seafarers, sounds about right.
A bull***t publication for suits in offices I reckon covers it.
One thing with the old Fleet News, great fun avoiding the reporter and the group photo when the bods from the office came down in Grain.
twogrumpy

theold49'er
9th August 2008, 08:15
Hi Jim,

Yes that is me as Neptune and Shearer as my Queen, see Rob Wheeldon in the photo as well.
Sorry I haven't replied sooner but haven't accessed the site for a while been on leave.
Still sailing on the high seas but thinking of retiring next year at the grand age of 60.

Satanic Mechanic
13th March 2009, 11:06
Ah 'The Flag ' possibly one of the most nauseating , sycophantic reads of all time. A truly awful piece of bp propaganda written in a style so patronising it actually went beyond preaching.

Someone once wrote in with a complaint about the company and the editor told him that the magazine was not a place for seastaff to air grievances - basically you had to say something nice. One of my favourites was when Lord Brown got caught with his pants down and the flag responded with a whole section on 'sexual inclusion' or some such pish.

I could go on but I need to go for a wee lie down

twogrumpy
13th March 2009, 11:18
Well said, it's not just me then!!
(Cloud)

Satanic Mechanic
13th March 2009, 18:25
Well said, it's not just me then!!
(Cloud)

The whole fleet hates it - its got nothing to do with us, just another load of pish to make the 'company' think all was well

twogrumpy
14th March 2009, 18:19
Well, I was lucky enough to be invited to the 90th. anniversary bash at Greenwich, if they are looking in on this site seems unlikely I will be going to the 100th.!!!
(Cloud)

Roberth1
13th February 2012, 15:02
Gordon
I tried Logging in to the site to read the Flag but it tells me incorrect login
BP Tankers 1958 until 1986 C/E then redundant like everybody else
Robert Hodgson

sparks69
13th February 2012, 23:13
Do you remember the "page 3 girls" in the Fleet News.
One story I heard from a person from the "Office" was that a photographer would go into the typing pool and announce "Who wants to be W**K of the week".
Doubt if it was true though.