OCEANIC of Home Lines

sstraveler
15th January 2007, 04:19
Introduced in 1965 the Oceanic had the destinction of being the largest ship ever completed solely for cruising when she was introduced. Planned to run luxury winter cruises from New York and sumemr trans-Atlantic Home Lines left the trans-Atlantic busienss while the ship was still being built in Italy.

At nearly 40,000 GRT she was a beauty. A long design with a graceful swan neck and cruise stern she was called the Ship of Tomorrow when she came out. She was revolutionary in her design and her operations. She was the first modern cruise ship with a large roll back dome over the large midships swimming pool and lido area.

She sailed for nearly 20 years for Home Lines from New York to the Caribbean, maing only two trans-Atlantic crossing that I know of in her career. She went to Premier and gained new fame as the Big Red Boat and finally she is now in Spain sailing for Pullmantur.

A great steamship in an era of ordinary motor ships!

Stephen J. Card
15th January 2007, 06:53
Introduced in 1965 the Oceanic had the destinction of being the largest ship ever completed solely for cruising when she was introduced. Planned to run luxury winter cruises from New York and sumemr trans-Atlantic Home Lines left the trans-Atlantic busienss while the ship was still being built in Italy.

A great steamship in an era of ordinary motor ships!

Yes, OCEANIC was/is a great ship. I did two cruises in her back in the late 70's/early 80's. Went back for a final cruise in her when she was Starship OCEANIC... not quite the same as when she was Home Line's flagship. Also cruised in DORIC, ATLANTIC and HOMERIC. Home Lines was a class operation. The last one of the old Home Line's officers I met was Mario Polombo... in command of Costa's COSTA VICTORIA in '76.

Do you remember when several Home Line's officers became temporary residents in Bermuda ... at H.M. Prison?

Stephen