British Trident

junkcatcher
17th January 2007, 09:51
Anybody here remember the Brit Trident ? I was on her for my first trip when she was just a year out of the builders.

GeorgeM13
19th January 2007, 00:18
I was 3/O mid August 75 to mid January 76 Did a very slow steaming trip from the Gulf to Finnart, struggled badly against the currents off the Cape. Then it was 2 months in my case sitting alongside at Finnart being used as floating tankage, not me personally but the ship. It was a bit of a drag all round though luckily my wife did come down a couple of times.
Regards
George M
P.S. Will try and post my photographs though there are , I see, some that are disturbingly similar and from the same period already in the Gallery

junkcatcher
19th January 2007, 08:57
Hi - George I remember you -- I was a first trip EC on that trip joined by helio at Cape Town on the way to Kharg.

Remember how the oldman and ce spent the whole of the time at Finnart fishing from the lifeboat :-)

Andy

junkcatcher
19th January 2007, 14:55
A memory came flooding back George --- istr you were a founder member of the "Poona Old Boys Renunion Club" (A)

tony browne
19th March 2007, 18:17
Hi all,
I was on the British Trident from December 74 till May 75 and would love to here from any one who sailed on her during this period. It was my first trip and I have a lot of great memories from it.
I have been searching in vane all over the web for a full photo of the British Trident so would appreciate it if any one could send me one

Tony

willhastie
20th March 2007, 05:06
gday george sure remember that layup in finnart,a bloody nightmare unless one enjoyed yomping around in the heather,we all mucked in and bought a skoda which got us as far as helensburgh then caught fire and was a rightoff.happy memories

GeorgeM13
29th March 2007, 02:13
Hi to all,
I'm in the process of going broadband and it is doing my head in, dial-up was slow but at least I could get a connection.
However I will get around to getting in touch with the various people from the Trident and posting my photographs in the gallery, here is a taster for the moment.
I must admit that I thought that Finnart was quite a good port and not from all the sheep running about, but that you could get into Glasgow fairly easily sometimes too easily. Also my girlfriend, later wife, could visit the ships I was on as will be seen by later pictures.

Cheers
George

R58484956
29th March 2007, 15:34
SS British Trident 133035 tons, Built 1974 by Mitsibushi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki. 338.64 x 53.68 x 20.174. Bulbous Bow. 2 steam turbs Dr geared to one screw shaft. Engines built by shipbuilder. 2 water tube boilers. 2 1400 kw gennys, 12480 tons oil fuel for bunkers. Speed 15.5 knts. Call sign ZDAQ6.
DF, ESD, GyC, Pfd, Radar, RTv, Sat Com. Managed by BP Shipping Ltd. Registered Gibralter. British flag.

junkcatcher
8th April 2007, 21:25
It was an easy ship for engineers :-)

I remember on the trip back from Cape Town to stand down at Finnart we had two wesh leckies both called Davie Jones, a year latter I joined the British Kennet only to encounter the same two leckies changing over from each other again --- Brittanic House fleet personnel had a sense of irony :-)

twogrumpy
23rd April 2007, 19:45
Hi all,
I was on the British Trident from December 74 till May 75 and would love to here from any one who sailed on her during this period. It was my first trip and I have a lot of great memories from it.
I have been searching in vane all over the web for a full photo of the British Trident so would appreciate it if any one could send me one

Tony

Hi Tony
You were looking for a picture of the Trident, there should be one attached, but as this is my first effort so possibly not!!
Not the clearest as it was taken from the window of the helicopter off Capetown.

junkcatcher
12th May 2007, 13:03
Hi all,

Tony

I must have joined as you left -- trying to remember who was on when I joined, Dave Malarkey was CE, leckie was "Frostie" , we had a DC called Dicker --- all three are somewhat memorable charcters. All bit hazy trouble is as a first trip EC I saw a lot faces come and go.

stan302
8th April 2008, 21:54
First saw Trident on that lay up in Finnart - unfortunately I was joining the Centaur at the time [first trip].
Did get to sail on her though in 1977. We were in Kagoshima for the Queen's jubilee and I near broke my neck decorating the foremast with flags.

Happy days!

GeorgeM13
9th April 2008, 02:05
Just thought I would add another photo of the Trident at Finnart late 1975.
J Wharrie was the Old Man and was not a happy bunny one night when he came back on board via an almost wrecked gangway.
George

Dean2230
13th April 2008, 15:03
I was on the Trident from Sept 1978 to March 1979

Rotterdam Gulf return slow steaming out to Bonaire to the Gulf then off at Cape Town

snippersniper
4th January 2009, 19:47
I was on the Trident at the end of '76 - first (and last!) trip. I remember the old man was Cpt Rutherford, CO Dave Allen.

BillH
4th January 2009, 20:12
J Wharrie was the Old Man and was not a happy bunny one night when he came back on board via an almost wrecked gangway.
George
BRITISH TRIDENT (1974 - 1989)
O.N. 363290. 133,035g. 108,854n. 270,983d. 338.34(BB) x 53.68 x 20.714 metres.
Two, steam turbines manufactured by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 shp.
Very large crude carrier (VLCC)

30.1.1974: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki (Yard No. 1706), for Airlease International Nominees Ltd., (P. & O. Bulk Shipping Division, managers), London.

4.6.1974: Completed for a 15 year demise charter to and operation by BP Tanker Company Ltd.

1981: Charterers restyled as BP Shipping Ltd.

31.5.1983 until 9.7.1986: Laid up at Brunei Bay, during which time in 1985: BP Shipping Ltd., appointed as managers.

1989: Renamed EASTERN TRUST, (same managers).

1990: World-Wide Shipping Agency Ltd., appointed as managers.

1991: Sold to Ritara Ltd., (same managers).

1992: Sold to Blue Wave Maritime S. A., Panama, and renamed ASSOS BAY.

11.11.1995: Repossessed by United States Trust Company, as Mortgagees.

3.3.1996: Renamed FORTUNE QUEEN under United Arab Emirates flag.

1.4.1996: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.

chris65
27th March 2009, 21:27
I was a j/e on the Trident while she was in Brunei from ~May until she was reactivated. She was used as the base ship. We all moved to the Esso Saba when she left.

Andrew147
30th March 2009, 17:20
George

Wharrie was the old man when I was on the Trident, joining @ Finnart 12/74 first trip 4E. I think it was him & CE Malarkey who, when a Head Office notable (General Manager Gresham?) came visiting had to find suitable head wear without much luck for one of them.
She was carrying spiked crude (spiked with Naptha) so discharge was two hours in the morning until the pumps gassed up, then all ashore to Glasgow.
I has done Phase 3 (71-72) in Glasgow so that was OK with me.

boatmadman
4th September 2011, 04:52
I just came across this thread, I was 2nd trip EC when she went from the Gulf to Bonaire and back, then down to Kagoshima and back to the gulf.
Dave Malarky was CE, but I cannot remember any other names.
I do remember an 'eventful' trip ashore in Bonaire with 4E and 3E including visits to various 'establishments'

Graham Wallace
4th September 2011, 21:04
I just came across this thread, I was 2nd trip EC when she went from the Gulf to Bonaire and back, then down to Kagoshima and back to the gulf.
Dave Malarky was CE, but I cannot remember any other names.
I do remember an 'eventful' trip ashore in Bonaire with 4E and 3E including visits to various 'establishments'

Another EC, I would like to hear from you. have a look at my profile and drop me a line.

Graham Wallace

sparks69
4th September 2011, 21:50
I gave up the booze when I was on the Trident in '81 - best thing I ever did apparently.................

graham.di
27th November 2011, 09:33
wow. what a surprise to find this thread . i was junior engineer on that trip up to finnart, diane was with me on her first trip to sea, our honeymoon trip 8may75 till 21oct75. as i remember it was a very long trip, all our photos are in the loft. must go digging. we had 2 accident prone cadets mr. dicker and the engineer mc fadyan, whose dad turned up as we arrived at finnart with the lads morgan.

GrahamBurn
19th September 2012, 00:56
Just found this thread, joined in Finnart 2nd trip E/C guessing early '75,John Wharrie was Capt and Dave Mallarkey chief, I think Allan Hall was the other E/C from Bearpark near Durham, I was on her again later as J/E or 4/E have to get my old book out, joined in Bonaire iirc, I think Ray Kerr might have been chief then.
Sailed with Dave again can't remember which ship but we were in Grangemouth and my wife brought our daughter, Helen, for me to see at 5 weeks(I'd missed the birth) so this was the first time I'd seen her, made a bed for her in my bottom drawer!
Bumped into Dave Mallarkey again in a later life when I worked for MOD and he was working as a consultant.
I'm still at sea working on an anchor handler off Israel just now but looking forward to maybe tying up for the last time in a couple of years time.
Graham

GrahamWeifang
23rd September 2012, 11:05
BRITISH TRIDENT (1974 - 1989)
O.N. 363290. 133,035g. 108,854n. 270,983d. 338.34(BB) x 53.68 x 20.714 metres.
Two, steam turbines manufactured by the shipbuilder, double reduction geared to screw shaft. 30,000 shp.
Very large crude carrier (VLCC)

30.1.1974: Launched by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki (Yard No. 1706), for Airlease International Nominees Ltd., (P. & O. Bulk Shipping Division, managers), London.

4.6.1974: Completed for a 15 year demise charter to and operation by BP Tanker Company Ltd.

1981: Charterers restyled as BP Shipping Ltd.

31.5.1983 until 9.7.1986: Laid up at Brunei Bay, during which time in 1985: BP Shipping Ltd., appointed as managers.

1989: Renamed EASTERN TRUST, (same managers).

1990: World-Wide Shipping Agency Ltd., appointed as managers.

1991: Sold to Ritara Ltd., (same managers).

1992: Sold to Blue Wave Maritime S. A., Panama, and renamed ASSOS BAY.

11.11.1995: Repossessed by United States Trust Company, as Mortgagees.

3.3.1996: Renamed FORTUNE QUEEN under United Arab Emirates flag.

1.4.1996: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition.
Wow,

Just 22 years service,

Some sort of minimum record?

Gra,

Steve Hodges
2nd October 2012, 13:12
Wow,

Just 22 years service,

Some sort of minimum record?

Gra,

Oh no, Graham, the Patience was scrapped after eight years service and her sisters after eleven!

GrahamWeifang
2nd October 2012, 13:15
Oh no, Graham, the Patience was scrapped after eight years service and her sisters after eleven!
Amazing,
Was the shift in oil transportation so great ?

They must have been still new'ish in that short time span of use.

Gra.

DaveM399
2nd October 2012, 13:29
During the 70's and after, there was a considerable over-capacity in large crude carriers, and the Patience and other P class boats had problems with the main gearbox. I seem to remember that it was never fully resolved, hence their short lifespan. At 22 years, I think the Trident did well compared to many of her sister ships.

twogrumpy
2nd October 2012, 16:04
Was going to say that as far as I knew the P boats were not up to much when they left the builders, but please correct me if I am wrong.

The Trident had a crack in the keel which had to be put right, as I have said in a previous post the feed pumps were a bit of a problem, but they were not of Mitsubishi manufacture.
There may well have been steel problems later in her life, as I can recall being down the pump room and each time she rolled I heard this sound of running water, there was a hole in a bend on one of the main pipelines, this around 79.

2G
(Cloud)

Steve Hodges
2nd October 2012, 16:23
Was going to say that as far as I knew the P boats were not up to much when they left the builders, but please correct me if I am wrong.
2G
(Cloud)

I did three trips on Patience and Promise 75-77 as 3/E. After the Light and the Destiny they were like the Promised Land, believe you me! Slow steaming all the time because of the gearbox, but that was no great hardship as you still did 4-5 months whatever speed you sailed. The only thing I didn't like was the Coffin feed pumps, especially testing the overspeed trip by levering the throttle valves wide open, whoever wrote that in the PM schedule certainly never had to do it!

stevekelly10
2nd October 2012, 18:43
I did three trips on Patience and Promise 75-77 as 3/E. After the Light and the Destiny they were like the Promised Land, believe you me! Slow steaming all the time because of the gearbox, but that was no great hardship as you still did 4-5 months whatever speed you sailed. The only thing I didn't like was the Coffin feed pumps, especially testing the overspeed trip by levering the throttle valves wide open, whoever wrote that in the PM schedule certainly never had to do it!

Aagh! Coffin feed pumps! the only piece of equipment down the engineroom, that scared me! no way would I ever test their overspeed! after hearing a story of one exploding, during such a test. badly scalding a 2nd eng on a BP tanker!
As for working on them otherwise, I still have the scars! and I was really relieved when that poxy two rings of packing was replaced by mechanical seals :)

Steve Hodges
2nd October 2012, 20:57
Aagh! Coffin feed pumps! the only piece of equipment down the engineroom, that scared me! no way would I ever test their overspeed! after hearing a story of one exploding, during such a test. badly scalding a 2nd eng on a BP tanker!
As for working on them otherwise, I still have the scars! and I was really relieved when that poxy two rings of packing was replaced by mechanical seals :)

Apologies for digressing so far from the Trident thread, I think I'll go and open a special Coffin feed pump thread in the Engineroom section!

twogrumpy
3rd October 2012, 14:44

Guess most things were likely to be better than an Eytie.

2G

(Wave)

Vital Sparks
4th October 2012, 12:53
Sisters?, I thought the Trident (and Norness) were "R" boats and so would have lasted a lot longer than those rust bucket "P" boats. It was rumoured that both of these classes were designed with a only a 10 year hull life and at the time of their design were expected to make their building costs on the first voyage. Oh how things had changed by the time they were delivered.

DaveM399
4th October 2012, 14:19
By sister ships, I was thinking of the R class (and Norness), but on checking up, it seems that some of this class made it to 2000 before demolition. The Renown was 20 years old, and the other class members were around 25 years old or so when broken up.

I was probably getting confused with the earlier 'Explorer' class, most of which only just made it into double figures.

twogrumpy
4th October 2012, 15:56
Norness made it to 2000, Trident 96, Renown 94, Respect 99, Resource 2000,
Reliance 2000, Ranger 2000.

Not a bad innings then, some with BP for their whole career.

2G
(Cloud)

GrahamWeifang
10th October 2012, 03:30
So not all doom and gloom about scrappage times then.

Gra.

twogrumpy
10th October 2012, 15:40
So not all doom and gloom about scrappage times then.

Gra.

Mitsubishi Magic!!
(A)

BettsP
11th October 2012, 13:39
Mitsubishi Magic indeed.
Trident was my first posting as e/c 1982, joined off Cape Town in ballast and round to the 'gulf to lighter from another tanker, then back round to the English Channel. I recall storming across the Bay of Biscay UMS whilst we had Sports Day on the deck. The Bay was like a millpond.
Imagine the shock we got being posted to the Fidelity two trips later....
(EEK)

twogrumpy
11th October 2012, 15:26
Had to check back, BettsP, son of BettsD, my wife was sailing with me, and we both have nothing but good memories of your father.

2G

BettsP
11th October 2012, 16:13
Thanks 2G - I too have only good memories.
My Dad was taken by cancer before he'd even worked out retirement properly.

PB

DAVELECKIE
11th October 2012, 16:45
I also sailed with your father, great bloke!
Sorry he did not have a long retirement.

Dave

chris dalquen
28th October 2012, 09:23
Hi i was 2/e on trident about 1980 Arthur salmon was the C/E we did a lot of work including renewing the whole of the engine room bilge main and i remember we also built and replaced 2 of the cargo pump suction elbows still we had some great times as well

chris dalquen
28th October 2012, 09:31
Guess most things were likely to be better than an Eytie.

2G

(Wave)

i was on british star when a fireman put a burner in the port boiler with no tip in it we had the superheat pipes glowing red hot you could see the shadow of the insides of the steam valves STevie Taylor was the chief VERY SCARY considering ther was 600lb of steam pressure at the time

chris dalquen
28th October 2012, 09:36
Mitsubishi Magic indeed.
Trident was my first posting as e/c 1982, joined off Cape Town in ballast and round to the 'gulf to lighter from another tanker, then back round to the English Channel. I recall storming across the Bay of Biscay UMS whilst we had Sports Day on the deck. The Bay was like a millpond.
Imagine the shock we got being posted to the Fidelity two trips later....
(EEK)

was the sports day organised by Mike Bicknell the chief steward i remember that

chris dalquen
28th October 2012, 09:46
I gave up the booze when I was on the Trident in '81 - best thing I ever did apparently.................

is that you pete

kevjacko
28th October 2012, 14:41

Hi Chris,

Is that Mike Bicknell from down Cornwall way? i sailed with him on the Security. Last trip with BP she was sold to the Italians when I was on her, handed her over in Rotterdam. Hell of a pay off gig if I remeber rightly.

twogrumpy
28th October 2012, 16:43
Hi i was 2/e on trident about 1980 Arthur salmon was the C/E we did a lot of work including renewing the whole of the engine room bilge main and i remember we also built and replaced 2 of the cargo pump suction elbows still we had some great times as well

Hi Chris, was with you on a course, have the group picture somewhere.
Was on the 'T' 78 to 81, as I said recently spotted the leak in one of the elbows, must have been a big job replacing that, do not recall any problems with the bilge main.
Did you see my comment that they managed to put steam on the turbine while the turning gear was still engaged? this prior to entering Brunei bay for lay up.

2G
(Cloud)

chris dalquen
29th October 2012, 10:03
Hi Chris,

Is that Mike Bicknell from down Cornwall way? i sailed with him on the Security. Last trip with BP she was sold to the Italians when I was on her, handed her over in Rotterdam. Hell of a pay off gig if I remeber rightly.

mike comes from maidstone in kent near heathrow air port but he was good at organising partys etc

Ron Stringer
29th October 2012, 10:45
mike comes from maidstone in kent near heathrow air port

Good job you were an engineer Chris, and not a navigator. (Jester)

chris dalquen
30th October 2012, 07:51
Good job you were an engineer Chris, and not a navigator. (Jester)

aye your right should have been maidenhead i think is that nearer to heathrow

chris dalquen
30th October 2012, 07:56
Hi Chris, was with you on a course, have the group picture somewhere.
Was on the 'T' 78 to 81, as I said recently spotted the leak in one of the elbows, must have been a big job replacing that, do not recall any problems with the bilge main.
Did you see my comment that they managed to put steam on the turbine while the turning gear was still engaged? this prior to entering Brunei bay for lay up.

2G
(Cloud)

I remember that little turning gear motor did not like it at all first time ive ever seen a motor with the squirrel cage fins at 90 deg we utilised one of the pilot ladder air motors until we got a new motor

BettsP
30th October 2012, 18:55
Hello Chris,
I remember your good self on the Trident. You taught us (cadets) how to shear bolts on the deck line expansion joints with a chisel and sledgehammer. I've a photo of you and your '2E Toolbox' at a fancy dress party somewhere.
The three cadets that joined off CapeTown were myself, John Holiday and Richard Graham.

PB

chris dalquen
31st October 2012, 08:19
Hello Chris,
I remember your good self on the Trident. You taught us (cadets) how to shear bolts on the deck line expansion joints with a chisel and sledgehammer. I've a photo of you and your '2E Toolbox' at a fancy dress party somewhere.
The three cadets that joined off CapeTown were myself, John Holiday and Richard Graham.

PB

yes i remember you three the trident was a good ship with good company aboard we worked hard and played hard

GrahamWeifang
1st February 2013, 07:23
I remember Mike very well from the Hazel.

Great bloke !

What happened to him now?
Where is he?

Gra.

chris dalquen
2nd February 2013, 07:38
I remember Mike very well from the Hazel.

Great bloke !

What happened to him now?
Where is he?

Gra.he lives in maidenhead he just recently had a stroke but is recovering now

GrahamWeifang
2nd February 2013, 08:21
Hi Chris,

A really nice bloke.

He made me very welcome on the Hazel, and when my parents came to visit, he made them very welcome also.

Gra.