British Workman

Brent Pyburn
18th January 2007, 18:50
Can anyone put any credence to the legend that when the Workman was in Smith's dry dock on the Tyne someone painted over her name to call her the Workhouse? Also can anyone remember the name of the house that was used as a bar close to the Tyne tank cleaning berth? If the landlady thought you were too young (under 40) she would throw you out!

John_F
18th January 2007, 19:20
Brent,
For further info on this subject see this thread:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/39656/cat/503/si/british%20workman/perpage/12
Kind regards,
John F.

paul0510
18th January 2007, 21:26
Brent, as if anybody could forget Minnie Beck's!!!

dom
19th January 2007, 04:06
AH,Minnie Becks,god bless er

Brent Pyburn
19th January 2007, 18:40
Brent,
For further info on this subject see this thread:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/39656/cat/503/si/british%20workman/perpage/12
Kind regards,
John F.

Many thanks John. I should have known it would have been featured at some stage. Great photographs

Brent Pyburn
19th January 2007, 18:46
Brent, as if anybody could forget Minnie Beck's!!!

Your right Paul I should have remembered, but unfortunately memories dim as you get older. It's funny I was up around Tynemouth and Wallsend last Sunday for the first time in 30 odd years. Tynemouth has hardly changed.

Pobydd
19th May 2014, 12:16
Can anyone put any credence to the legend that when the Workman was in Smith's dry dock on the Tyne someone painted over her name to call her the Workhouse? Also can anyone remember the name of the house that was used as a bar close to the Tyne tank cleaning berth? If the landlady thought you were too young (under 40) she would throw you out!
I heard a similar story in the 60's; the mate apparently got the sack.

Richard R617629

jep1916
19th May 2014, 13:12

I heard that the crew painted in the name " Workhorse " and I thought that they did it while the vessel was alongside at the IOG.

matthew flinders
19th May 2014, 13:26
Can anyone put any credence to the legend that when the Workman was in Smith's dry dock on the Tyne someone painted over her name to call her the Workhouse?

I heard that one too but how about British Onion?

Burned Toast
20th May 2014, 10:18
I heard that the crew painted in the name " Workhorse " and I thought that they did it while the vessel was alongside at the IOG.

Also heard that the name change was done in Durban around 1962.(Thumb)

Malcolm Kirk
20th May 2014, 21:29
Hi Brent,Not sure of the name of the place but I'll never forget her..A couple of Newcastle Browns and the fellow that helped her had to ask her permission ..to which she said "No.They have had enough of that stuff they can have Export and like it!.

price
21st May 2014, 09:23
I sailed in the British Workman through the Suez crisis 1956/7, this story was doing the rounds then but I believe the incident occured on a previous British Workman.
Bruce.

linglis
26th May 2014, 08:52
The story I heard, the name change was spotted as the ship passed through the Straits of Gibraltar. Every ship is identified from shore, believe the Mate did get sacked.

R396040
26th May 2014, 13:46
I was on British Might way back in 1948 for nearly a year.
There was great play on that name too because she was always breaking down hence we were on route abadan MIGHT make it MIGHT not. Remember after first trip broke down fully loaded in bay of biscay and drifted around tilll BTC as it was then undocked another tanker from drydock famouth to come and tow us in.
Memories.....
Stuart