MV ICENIC. Shaw Savill

julian anstis
28th November 2004, 17:29
Does anyone know the history or fate of the ICENIC after 1972....? or any of the other I boats.

Thanks Julian

david smith
28th November 2004, 17:42
look in the Shaw savill section

Iberic became Deseado in 76 (Royal Mail) and St George (grk) 82 scrapped 83

Icenic renamed Aegean Unity 78b scrapped same year

Illyric renamed Carmelia 78 scrapped 79

Ionic renamed Glenparva 78 scrapped 79

julian anstis
28th November 2004, 17:57
Thanks David,

Did'nt quite expect an answer so soon,thought it would take days not minutes, but nice to be filled in on what happened to her. She was such a clean ship whilst I was on her with a brilliant crew approx sixty in all and many happy times.

Julian

david smith
28th November 2004, 23:03
I know, I sailed on the Illyric in 1971/2 and was vvery familiar with other ships in the class. They were good ships, good at sea, and dispite the "slow starvation and agony"(SSA) were good feeders. Gone are the days of Chief Steward,Second steward, Captain's Tiger, Galley boy and Pantry boy. Look at www.coastalcrafts.co.uk for more links and pics.
regards
david smith

Brian Brown
27th February 2013, 08:36
How many David Smiths were there in SS and A in the early 70's I wonder?
One I recall on the Medic in 1974.
We had a 1st Electrician "Sparrow" and whilst on the NZ coast introduced "The Dog House" to many unsuspecting party goers along with the infamous "Falconer's Gauntlet" presented to the officer who.....
Interesting to hear of the fate of the I boats as I also ave many memories of Iberic and Ionic
Thanks for the memories Dave
Brian. (Joe) Brown

Noel Martin
11th July 2013, 08:23
Hi Guys, I dont know what engines were in the "I" boats single screw (please tell me) but there is a story about the" Icenic's" crankshaft slipping out of alingment or something like that. Regards Noel Martin SSL

Brian Brown
8th August 2013, 13:16
Hi Guys, I dont know what engines were in the "I" boats single screw (please tell me) but there is a story about the" Icenic's" crankshaft slipping out of alingment or something like that. Regards Noel Martin SSL

Hi Noel
Ref. 'I' Boat Engine: Iberic
Details drawn from Clydebuilt data base
Engine built by Harland and Wolf Belfast
B & W 8 Cylinder Opposed Piston
750 mm bore
Developing 13,300 bhp realizing 17 knots

Have not heard of the problems with Icenic crankshaft

Regards
Brian (Joe) Brown

holmsey
17th August 2013, 12:25
Greetings
Salied on the Icenic early 70's with many happy memories of great times and guys.
In 2007 I took a little time to put my CAD skills to the test and drew a 2D drawing of the engine (3D to follow when I retire and have more time!), I posted the drawing onto the gallery and it can be found here.

Best wishes to all
Jim H

http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/55401/title/line-drawing-of-a-60-27s-h-26amp-3bw-b-26amp-3bw-engine/cat/525

BobGrif
27th August 2013, 00:21
.... a little remembered fact .... as fitted out the curtains in the Officers' Smoke Room on Icenic were specially commissioned and printed with pub signs/names all over them. Just thought I would add that piece of useless info! - Bob (Pint)