Looking for ex Ellerman guys

john g
20th January 2007, 19:24
Do any ex Ellerman guys recall any of the Sumpton family all of who sailed with the company in various deck officer capacities. The father was a captain who was on the City of Sydney way back in the 50's

AlexBooth
20th January 2007, 21:22
Name rings a bell, have check my "hard drive" to try an remember where when, be back at you if/when I remember.
Cheers

john g
21st January 2007, 17:57
Thanks Alex I grew up with the youngest son he went to Ellerman as a deck officer I went to Brocks as an engineer, then we lost touch. If there is any info out there maybe any of you guys could contact me privatley throu the site e-mail I don't like to mention names or identify people openly....Thanks

Douglas Young
17th March 2007, 21:19
I was 2nd Mate on City of Bath (Captain Watkins) when the City of Manchester towed her into Colombo with Captain Sumpton as Master. He did a marvellous job of picking up the tow off Dondra head. Bath through No.6 through the side of the engine when the bottom end bolts carried away.
Dave Sumpton was a pilot in Durban in the 70's to 90's - unfortunately I do not know where he is now.

AlexBooth
18th March 2007, 04:53
I was 2nd Mate on City of Bath (Captain Watkins) when the City of Manchester towed her into Colombo with Captain Sumpton as Master. He did a marvellous job of picking up the tow off Dondra head. Bath through No.6 through the side of the engine when the bottom end bolts carried away.
Dave Sumpton was a pilot in Durban in the 70's to 90's - unfortunately I do not know where he is now.

I met the Bath in St John must have been '70 or '71 when I was on the Hull, she was to be towed to Spain (?) for breaking up, I was just a lowly cadet at the time, but I remember being told she had a bad reputation as a 'killer' ship, some engineers having been killed - boiler blew up or something. Anyways, let me tell you about the night we went 'scrounging' ! We were told that she was to be towed out the next day. Being a cadet, I was obviously, 'volunteered' for a run over to her to see what could be 'ad.
So over we go, all darkly dressed with torches, screwdrivers, spanners and a couple of 9lb hammers. There where no watchmen aboard she was dead-ship,we split up- I went to the bow looking for the bell, whilst the others - The ship's chandler,Purser, Asst Purser,Ch.Off & 2nd eng.- went up to the bridge & Eng.room. Anyways being that I was on deck I was also the lookout, lo and behold there was some activity on the dock approaching the gangway. I had the bell off by this time, I crept up the deck, trying to whisper loudly to warn the others on the bridge -duh ! Up the gangway they come - it's a port cop (who frequented the officers bar often) and some other bod - so I stash the bell and decide to face them. I told the cop I had just come over for a look about at the old girl before she left - they bought it and left me to it ! Canooks 'A' ! So I get to the others and we carry our swag back to the Hull. The Capt (Bill Perry, he who buckled the deck plates in the officer's lounge whilst dancing!!!) was signing off and wanting one of the two wheels and emergency(oil) side lights,once I was volunteered to wrap his 'cut' of the booty. So there I was wrapping it all up in jute sacking when the chandler was heard shouting his way aboard, 'they are on to us'. and were coming to search for any memorabilia that we might have acquired. What did we do ? Capt's orders, the whole lot over the side - inboard side that is, with the idea we could grapple or dive for it at a later oportunity. Well, anyone interested ? alongside pier 4, it should all still be there ! And no one did come aboard the search the ship ! That lot would be worth a bloody fortune, as I recall, there were the two bells, two wheels the oil side lights, Binnicle and some othe bits and bobs from the wheelhouse. What a bloody shame ! Though as a closing note it was a really sad sight seeing her being towed out knowing she was for the breaker's yard !

dixie
18th March 2007, 08:22
Do any ex Ellerman guys recall any of the Sumpton family all of who sailed with the company in various deck officer capacities. The father was a captain who was on the City of Sydney way back in the 50's
Hullo .Yes the name rings a bell ,I think I was a cadet with one of them ,may be the city of birmingham .I have some diaries somewhere and i think they have crew lists in them ,so will come back when I find them
John wilson

pedro ivo
31st August 2007, 15:59
Hi, there.

Any ex-crew members of SS.Dago (or related person),which sunk in 1942?

harvey19a
14th April 2008, 09:31

I remember Dave Sumpton in the early 70's. As I recall his father and uncle (brothers) were both Masters in the fleet - the uncle sadly died in his sleep in Cape Town, homeward bound.

Dave had a fascination with Denis Wheatley novels. He told me that in the last letter his uncle wrote home before dying, he claimed to have seen the Flying Dutchman that evening, as they made there way up from the CoGH to Table Bay.

Douglas Young
15th April 2008, 19:26
Wasn't that Norman Perry? Sailed with him on the Bath also - his first command I think - when he took command after she was repaired.

pastyman
25th May 2011, 22:22
I knew dave, he and his family lived in Wallasey though I cant remember the address. I once took him on the back of my motorbike all the way to London where we slid off under a taxi. He always said he would like to be a Durban pilot.

linglis
15th October 2011, 23:26
Have his contact details.

stan mayes
16th October 2011, 00:21
I sailed with a Captain Sumpton in City of Ely during 1948..
In my Discharge Book his initial seems to be F.
I joined her at Tilbury and made a coastal trip - Captain Cross.
Then to Indian ports with Captain Sumpton and I believe he had the
ship from when she was Samarina.. Liberty ship.
Stan