Obriens Finishing School 64

Eggo
20th January 2007, 20:52
Deck boy trainees at Odyssey Works 1964

Anchorman
21st January 2007, 13:09
You havent changed a bit Les. (apart from the hair)

Hague
3rd March 2007, 11:22

Eggo,
Noticed you were in the China Boats. What was your first trip 'around the land' after passing out of the deck school fresh with the knowledge of Dennis O'Brian, Capts Harris, Eder and Donnan.
Hague

Eggo
4th March 2007, 21:46
Did 3 coasters Peleus, Patroclus and Perseus then sailed deep sea on Perseus . Also sailed on Automedon,Achilles and Menelaus & Ajax. Happy days. Best wishes Les

Hague
5th March 2007, 22:06
No doubt Jimmy Morris was the Bosun of those 'round the land' trips. He seemed to be choice for the 'P' class.
Brgds
Hague

Eggo
6th March 2007, 04:28
I cant remember the bosun's name. Is Capt Eyynon still alive I sailed with him on Automedon and Demodacus . Idropped a wad of stockholm tar inadvertently from the aft mast which unfortunately landed at his feet while he was doing his rounds and pebble dashed his whites . Being the gent he was he didn't say anything exept that I should be more careful in the future.

Hague
6th March 2007, 21:16
I can't give an answer to that. I have heard the name elsewhere on this website and to be frank I do not recall his name from my 'China Boat' days.
I was in a similar position to you on one of the 'M' class when I was told to blacken down the column stays on no.3 contactor house as we were crossing Biscay less than 36 hours from the Bar. I also speckled the winches (were painted white). Payed off with Stockholm Tar on my hands which I still had when I took the vessel 'round the land' a week later
NB: For non 'China Boat men reading this: Columns were Blue Flu speak for Sampson Posts.
Brgds
Hague

Eggo
6th March 2007, 22:47
Were you a midshipman or a peggy Hague ? Could never understand why the 'lower orders' had dinner at noon and the officers had lunch at noon and dinner in the evening. Discrimination regarding toilet tissue was also rife with officers getting the non skid variety.The red soap was excellent though but I think its out of production now.

Hague
7th March 2007, 22:04
At the time of above incident I was SOS.
Brgds
Hague

Bill Davies
13th August 2008, 20:38

Temmed

Pat Kennedy
13th August 2008, 21:52
No doubt Jimmy Morris was the Bosun of those 'round the land' trips. He seemed to be choice for the 'P' class.
Brgds
Hague

Coasting the "P" boats was pretty enjoyable when I was deck boy,two weeks in Glasgow, then home again. There was always a crowd of Liverpool Chinese catering staff on them, a great bunch of headcases who used to take me ashore with them to Betty's bar and the Chevalier.
Bosun of choice in my day coasting the P and H class was Jock Sutherland.
Regards,
Pat (Class of 58)

jmcg
14th August 2008, 10:24
Pat

Big Jeanie? Jock Hunter was Theseus / Neleus coasting bosun in my time. Also one trip with him d.s. A good one.

Best of the all was George Birch - I heard that George suffered badly in the early 80's and had to have both legs removed.

And the legendary Joe Bates -the scourge of Deck Boys and JOS. A real mans man! It was reported that Joe had shares in the Hector as he was in her for at least 15 years. Some say from builder to scrapper!

BW

J.