Alaunia

jack dixon
21st January 2007, 23:31
Of particular interest, missing section of propellor, b/w photo taken by member of deck crew & processed on board. October / November 1967.

callpor
17th February 2008, 14:19
Jack, Just spotted this post. I joined the Alaunia 20th November '67 in Southampton as 3/0/D, my first ship in Cunard and remained there 'til December 1968 when I moved onto the Andania as 2/0/D. I well remember the onboard photography club, lead by the R/O - have forgotten his name. Alan Davies was the 2/0/D and Captain Moate the Master. Notice from your photos that she was already carrying containers on deck and you show her berthed at one of the Manhatten piers. Strange, 'cos on those late '67 trips we went to Port Newark. Was sometime in late 1968 that the joint service with CGT moved to Pier 32 in Manhatten. Rgds, Chris Allport

captainchris
18th February 2008, 09:30
When I was on Andania, 1963, we used to start off at Pier 52 (I think) then Newark, Norfolk, Newport News, Baltimore, Philadelphia, sometimes back to Perthamboy, and back to NY for London. Outwards it was No.7 KGV, Le Havre and Glasgow.
Regards,
Chris

Tony Selman
20th February 2008, 17:33
Chris, we must have sailed together but I have to say that after all these years I am not sure if I am putting the right face to the right name. Your cabin was opposite mine and I have a vague recollection of you having your wife or girlfriend on board for lunch whilst we were in London? Ring any bells? I joined Alaunia as R/O for my second stint on her in Victoria Docks on 18/12/67 and left when we got back to London on 31/12/68. She was the best of all the Cunard cargo ships on the North Atlantic run in my opinion, although her sister Andania has some support as well. Do you have any photos of yourself from the time? If you look in my Gallery you will see a photo of me actually sitting in Alaunia's Radio Room.

callpor
20th February 2008, 19:51
Tony, Remember your name very well and even recognise you from your photo. No I don't have any photographs of myself from that time but I posted one on Members Faces a few days ago taken in 1973 under the title Port Revel Shiphandling Course. I am the one sitting at the front of the group at the right. It wasnt my wife you remember, but more probably 2/O Alan Davies's girlfriend who used to visit in London and sit in his cabin doing her knitting! (Hell, hope he's not a member?) Have some very good memories of my time on both Alaunia & Andania. Left late 1969 to stand by the ACL newbuilds in Walker Yard, Wallsend, on the Tyne. Sailed on the Causeway voyages 2&3 then returned to bring out the Conveyor where I stayed as S/2/O until leaving for Masters in August 1971. Do you know what happened to Bill Malarkie (?), R/O on the Conveyor, we were great pals. Joined Esso in spring of 1972 where I progrressed to Master in 1977 and came ashore in 1980. Stayed with Esso/Exxon in a wide variety of marine roles until retirement in 2002. Since then have enjoyed retirement in France with some part time consultancy helping shipowners improve their management systems. Brgds, Chris Allport

Tony Selman
21st February 2008, 11:07
Chris, that's excellent. I am pleased to report that the grey cells are still functioning and the face I had attached to your name is in fact the correct one! Thanks for reminding me about Alan's name I don't think I would have come up with that one under my own steam. I also sailed on Alaunia with Barry Goldsbrough (apologies if the name is wrong but it is something similar) as 2/O but that was almost certainly on my first couple of trips on her.

If it was indeed Alan's girlfriend it was definitely in your cabin because I can distinctly remember coming out of my cabin and leaning on your door for a chat to everyone in there - lunchtime beers seems to ring a bell.

I have no knowledge of what happened to Bill although I remember him from that era. Glad to hear of your retirement in France which is something I have considered myself.

Great to hear from you.

Tony

R396040
28th October 2008, 19:36
Tony, Remember your name very well and even recognise you from your photo. No I don't have any photographs of myself from that time but I posted one on Members Faces a few days ago taken in 1973 under the title Port Revel Shiphandling Course. I am the one sitting at the front of the group at the right. It wasnt my wife you remember, but more probably 2/O Alan Davies's girlfriend who used to visit in London and sit in his cabin doing her knitting! (Hell, hope he's not a member?) Have some very good memories of my time on both Alaunia & Andania. Left late 1969 to stand by the ACL newbuilds in Walker Yard, Wallsend, on the Tyne. Sailed on the Causeway voyages 2&3 then returned to bring out the Conveyor where I stayed as S/2/O until leaving for Masters in August 1971. Do you know what happened to Bill Malarkie (?), R/O on the Conveyor, we were great pals. Joined Esso in spring of 1972 where I progrressed to Master in 1977 and came ashore in 1980. Stayed with Esso/Exxon in a wide variety of marine roles until retirement in 2002. Since then have enjoyed retirement in France with some part time consultancy helping shipowners improve their management systems. Brgds, Chris Allport

Hi Chris,
As a new member have been reading through the forums. I was on Alaunia in 60s also plus most of the other cargo boats of Cunard in my fifteen years with them. I was P/Chf Stwd and my name is Stuart (aka George) Henderson and I recall your name from those days. Like you I also retired to France,now live in charente and love it here. I left sea in 1977 but worked on in Saudi & Libya till 1996. Would like to hear from you.
Regards,
George Henderson R396040

harrygeorge02
1st October 2012, 10:52
Hi To All
My Name is Harry Payne..
The Alaunia Was My First Ship In Cunard ...I sailed 1967-1968 . I was a Deck Boy at the Time Joe Ford was Bosun ,, I was Noted for Bulding a Flying Model Aircraft in the Messroon With the Plans Neatly on The Table...The Cheif Enginer
Was In Pressed...... I Lernt a Lot With Help From all on board.....I sailed on MV Saxonia SS Andania and The One and Only SCOTIA Up the Great Lakes 18 months with that ship.... I was Laid off Redundent in 1991 When Maggie Di her Nasty Thing.... 1980-1991 With ESSO...
All the Best Harry G J Payne.....( R846470 )