Erskine Bridge-72

BEDDY
22nd January 2007, 19:43
Hello fellow shipsmates.
Anyone who can get me a photo of "ERSKINE BRIDGE" built 1972, and later remaned "Thalatta" for Wilh. Wilhelmsen in Norway

Thanks in advance

John Cassels
26th January 2007, 19:23
Beddy, Sailed on the Erskine bridge as 2nd.mate August '72 till April '73.
Have photos somewhere. Will find , scan and send them on.

She was a good ship , fast for a bulker . We used to average 18 knts on
some occasions.

JC

Gulpers
26th January 2007, 20:00
I also sailed on her as 2nd trip Cadet. Joined in Ijmuiden on her first visit to the continent. Old Man was Buckley (relieved by J J Rose), Mate - Lenny Bell, 2/O - Hughie Jackson, 3/O Steve (?). Steve was killed a year or two later when he fell off a hold ladder on one of the OBOs.

Did you stand by her building in Hiroshima John?

I have also got a couple of photographs somewhere.

BEDDY
26th January 2007, 20:34
Thanks to all of you.
Looking forward to the photos.

John Cassels
27th January 2007, 10:34
I also sailed on her as 2nd trip Cadet. Joined in Ijmuiden on her first visit to the continent. Old Man was Buckley (relieved by J J Rose), Mate - Lenny Bell, 2/O - Hughie Jackson, 3/O Steve (?). Steve was killed a year or two later when he fell off a hold ladder on one of the OBOs.

Morning Ray,

Didn't stand by her at builder's yard but she was pretty new when I joined
In Europoort. Age continues to play tricks with the internal computer as have
now remembered that it was my first ship after Masters so that would be
August '73 and not aug.'72 as I first said.
J.J. (Harpic) Rose was Master, Lennie Bell was Mate, Eddie Redman then
Jimmy Meikle were chengs.
The Steve you mentioned rings a bell . Not only sailed with him but had just
joined Cast when the accident happened on one of the Cast obo's ( old
team ship). Think R.Birlison eas master. Was it not in the fore peak tank
where tha accident happened as heard it was a terrible job to remove the
body. Will have to check the old denholm mags.

JC

John Cassels
27th January 2007, 12:10
Just checked my disch.book and it was indeed 10 august '73 when I joined.

Also just remembered that George MacNab relieved J.J. after 4 months.
G.T. was one of my favourite Masters.

Had a look through the Denholm mags but could find nothing but am sure it
was Steve Saunders ... am I correct Ray ??.

JC

Gulpers
27th January 2007, 13:25
John,

You must have joined as I paid off. I remember there was great excitement before we arrive in Europoort because we were told that a female Sparky was joining the ship. If I remember correctly her name turned out to be "Miss Fortune" which we thought may have been appropriate with a bunch like us on board.
Steve Saunders - yes, that was his name - from Barnsley I think. I was sure it was one of the "Bridge" OBOs he died on. That's only from memory because, as I mentioned before, I lost all my Denholm's stuff, sight books, tables and other memorabilia in a house removal years ago.

Gulpers
11th June 2007, 04:37

At long last, I've found the previously mentioned photographs here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66894/cat/500/ppuser/2613) and here. (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/66893/cat/500/ppuser/2613)

Gulpers
11th June 2007, 04:51

Stevie Saunders - see here (http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=2874&page=14&highlight=Stevie+Saunders) #333, #335 and #336.

wmiller
19th June 2007, 18:24
Fond memories of Erskine Bridge. My first trip mate under Jim Nicholl master. Releived Dave Forsyth who incidentally I still work with in HSE. Loaded my first cargo of iron ore in Pepel for Japan and JN insisted I accompany him ashore to the Pilot's house for drinks during the loading process. However we could see the ship and I had contact via handheld radio. Nevertheless it was a nervous time. Got away with it though !!