Karem, or is it Carom?

tedc
26th January 2007, 20:18
In the Mahout, and later ships in the 50s, the lads played a great game called Karem (if that's how it's spelt?)

This game utilised a square flat board - approx 1 metre square, with pockets in each corner.

The table would be lubricated, with talcum powder, and each player used draughts type discs to play the game.

Anyone seen this recently?

Or know the rules?

Wouldn't mind building one of these.

Derek Roger
26th January 2007, 20:56
Played it a lot in Brocks ; a bit like snooker ? One shoots the "puck " with the back of the thumb nail : flicking it away from the forefinger. I think it is "Karom " more so than " Karem ."

Great idea to build one ; think I would like to do that too !!

Im sure our Brocklebank and other Indian trading members could help .

The surface was also highly laquered so with the addition of the powder made it very slick .

A photograph of a Karom board with some main dimentions would be all we would need . Plus how to set up the Centre of the table to start and a few basic rules .
Oh Happy Days Derek

ray1buck1
26th January 2007, 21:03
I played this a long time ago great game

There is a web site http://www.valuezone.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=5

The rules http://www.carromuk.co.uk/rules.html

Ray

Jim S
26th January 2007, 21:10
A website - www.carromcentre.co.uk lists boards and rules etc for the game.
A standard board is listed as costing 39.99.
Worth a look if you are keen.
It certainly was very popular in Brocks.
"Ben" Lyon 2nd Eng on MAIDAN was a master at the game - on the rare occasions he got beat he would go into mega- sulk mood though, so a particularly hot or dirty job could be expected

R798780
26th January 2007, 21:40
I've still got my carom board - Calcutta's best, hasn't seen light of day for years now and acquired a scratch when moving house. I can dig it out and photo and measure it if you can't get enough info from the links. I haven't followed the links - maybe tomorrow. Managed to become carom champion on Mawana while apprentice, still got the cup!

Derek Roger
26th January 2007, 22:53
Well Done Hugh ;
Look forward to your post . I need a project right now to fill in some time until Spring arrives and I can get going with some work on the Mahout for next Summers season and get some serious fishing done .
Derek

tedc
27th January 2007, 16:15
A photograph of a Karom board with some main dimentions would be all we would need . Plus how to set up the Centre of the table to start and a few basic rules .

Hi Derek!

Yers, great project.

I think the urls given by ray1buck1 & Jim S are right on the button.
One of them has the board dimensions and very good images.

Mustaphago! (Thumb)

Ted

ps - Thanks to all respondents. A great game - well worth a revisit.

Don A.Macleod
27th January 2007, 19:08
I've still got my carom board - Calcutta's best, hasn't seen light of day for years now and acquired a scratch when moving house. I can dig it out and photo and measure it if you can't get enough info from the links. I haven't followed the links - maybe tomorrow. Managed to become carom champion on Mawana while apprentice, still got the cup!

Great game Hugh, on the MATRA it was more popular than darts one trip and one could become rather addicted to it. Happy days! Regards Don.Ex MAIHAR/MAHSEER.

noel grayson
27th January 2007, 23:25
Well Done Hugh ;
Look forward to your post . I need a project right now to fill in some time until Spring arrives and I can get going with some work on the Mahout for next Summers season and get some serious fishing done .
Derek

I gave a talk once in Ilford to a group of women from the Women's Institute!!
and one of the questions afterwards was " what sort of games did you play on board?!!" I didn't really answer that truthfully, but did mention Carrom, and said what a shame it was that it wasn't played in this country, to which she replied that Yes it was, and that in Ilford, they had Carrom leagues.
So how about that??!!

Derek Roger
28th January 2007, 02:08
Instead of a Brocklebank Reunion perhaps we could get a Carrom Tounement Going . If the wives dont want to come we could challange the Womens Institute .
Derek

ray1buck1
28th January 2007, 10:55
There is on eBay one set for sale should anyone be interested http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indian-Carrom-Board-Game_W0QQitemZ130072607219QQihZ003QQcategoryZ235QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item13007 2607219

tedc
28th January 2007, 16:37
There is on eBay one set for sale should anyone be interested http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Indian-Carrom-Board-Game_W0QQitemZ130072607219QQihZ003QQcategoryZ235QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item13007 2607219

Thanks for that - I've made a bid.

R798780
28th January 2007, 22:45
Carrom Board

The board measures 31 5/8" (803mm) with a playing area 29 5/16" (745mm).

The base lines are 1" apart centred 4 5/8" from the edge.

The end circles are centred 17 9/16" apart.

The pockets are 1 7/8" diameter.

I may be able to tighten up on the measurements (full mm count) when I rediscover my 600mm steel rule. Last seen being used for sword practice when grandson stayed over Christmas.

Going by the script on the underside I bought it while sailing on Mahout in '65.

Curiously, the first time I came across carrom was in Norway as a schoolkid on a skiing trip.

Harry Nicholson
28th January 2007, 23:19
I was told that the best boards to be had in Calcutta were made in Finland. I seem to remember hearing it pronounced 'carrumen' by the locals. Powdered chalk and watch them fly!

Tony Selman
29th January 2007, 19:25
Here is a photo of Carrom players in action. On the left is 2/O Roger Newton and on the right is 3/O Dave Tracey (??). The other two are engineers but I'm afraid I can't conjure up the names.

Edit: The photo did not attach for some reason so I will try again.

Tony Selman
29th January 2007, 19:28
It should have worked this time.

tedc
31st January 2007, 21:06
Thanks for that - I've made a bid.

Bid failed at 20 quid plus - what's the world coming to....!

Derek Roger
1st February 2007, 16:24
Youll just have to make one Ted !!

Trevor
23rd February 2007, 22:37
Hugh
Still have my board, play with my grandchildren. In Canada we play a similar game called crokenole.
Trevor