The Degree symbol

R.Philip Griffin
27th January 2007, 00:42
Gentlemen,
To make the degree symbol after the Lat; Long; or temp. numeral press and hold the Alt key whilst pressing 2;4; & 8. Hope this helps

Bearsie
27th January 2007, 01:09
You can make all sorts of nifty symbols that way,
the proper numbers are shown under accessories/systemtools/character map on your computer.
ä,ü,ö,ø and weirder things (==D)

treeve
27th January 2007, 01:39
Use insert symbol, and you get the whole set, especially if you choose unicode.

jimbo35
27th January 2007, 10:41
that's sorted out the MS Windows folk, presumably; but what's the procedure for MAC users ? (Surely I'm not alone since switching from Windoze to Apple ?)

Bearsie
27th January 2007, 10:56
Use insert symbol, and you get the whole set, especially if you choose unicode.

treeve, you must have a newer machine? I don't get a choice of subsets,
(windows 98) or do I have to import the cyrillic?

treeve
27th January 2007, 12:37
Hi Bearsie ....
I have Word 2000, so it is is old by technological standards.
Arial Unicode includes Arabic script and Chinese Ideograms, besides
all manner of symbols and graphices symbols for building borders
and so on ...
All the Best, Raymond

treeve
27th January 2007, 12:43
Meant to answer your question ....
I do have a Cyrillic font as well, and I can set up my keyboard to print those characters on screen, but can I remember which keys for which character? No!! So I have got into the lazy habit of printing up the whole set on the top of the sheet, and copying each character to where it has to go!! But the character set you saw in the screenshot was part of Arial Unicode.
Best Wishes, Raymond

Bearsie
27th January 2007, 12:55
Meant to answer your question ....
I do have a Cyrillic font as well, and I can set up my keyboard to print those characters on screen, but can I remember which keys for which character? No!! So I have got into the lazy habit of printing up the whole set on the top of the sheet, and copying each character to where it has to go!! But the character set you saw in the screenshot was part of Arial Unicode.
Best Wishes, Raymond

Thanks Raymond :)

I shall sick my SO onto it, she is good at that sort of thing. hahaha
As far as technology, I just upgraded my browser from coal fired (netscape 4.1) to oil fired (Mozilla 1.0) the computer itself is run by an old MaK Diesel with open Rocker arms and push rods, with pretty little brass cups on top to keep it oiled well ! Came out of an old pre war coaster and is as good as new...(POP) Since the coaster has been to Russia aka USSR several times it should have NO troubly powering cyrillic "stuff"
Believe it or not, I "learned" cyrillic by writing the letters on the bow of russian ships on a piece of paper and the letters on top of the bridge. By comparing the 2 sets I eventually "collected the whole cyrillic alphabet, and then was able to decipher russian stuff :) that was a bit before windows and such.

Greetings, Pete.

K urgess
27th January 2007, 12:59
Bearsie,
Even windows 98 has character map. Should be in accessories or system tools. The site font, Verdana, has all the extra characters when you view it using the map.
Failing that you need to know the code for each character, a bit like the LOL (LOL) smileys.
Cheers
Kris

Bearsie
27th January 2007, 13:37
Bearsie,
Even windows 98 has character map. Should be in accessories or system tools. The site font, Verdana, has all the extra characters when you view it using the map.
Failing that you need to know the code for each character, a bit like the LOL (LOL) smileys.
Cheers
Kris

Yeah, I know, I use it all the time.
Although I prefer Arial, But it doesn't have cyrillic, so I will hand treeve's procedure to the Missus and "force" her to make it "appear" (Thumb)

treeve
27th January 2007, 14:04
If you don't have a font on board, there are plenty of sites
from which to download it ... try
http://www.ascendercorp.com/msfonts/arial_unicode.html

K urgess
27th January 2007, 14:06
I forget how to load cyrillic into windows 98. I only have windows ME available on an old laptop.

In windows xp you have to enable language support and the font appears as if by magic.

The font Arial Unicode MS has every language character known to man but doesn't seem to appear on my installation of windows ME.

You could try going to control panel, add/remove programs, windows setup and then enabling multilanguage support. That should install cyrillic fonts on your system. You'll need your windows 98 installation CD.

Just a thought
Kris

treeve
27th January 2007, 15:06
Hi Kris, I also have Windows ME, and prefer it!!
I seem always to have had Arial Unicode. ME uses a Font installer, after the fonts have been downloaded, open the installer, point to the source folder, point to the install folder, and it checks if it is a valid file and just installs.
Some fonts in the Windows fonts folder may not yet be installed. Generally
ME works much the same as 98, as it uses a 98 framework.
Best Wishes, Raymond

allanc
11th February 2007, 13:11
that's sorted out the MS Windows folk, presumably; but what's the procedure for MAC users ? (Surely I'm not alone since switching from Windoze to Apple ?)

jimbo35, try shift option *, that will give you the symbol. Beats all that windows hard way stuff!

Also, if you need a bullet point go option *, which gives ,

Hope that helps,
Regards, Allan

Sarazen
23rd February 2007, 22:37
Open Start, go to All Programmes, the Accessories and finally System Tools.
Right click on the Character Map link, point to Send to, click Desktop.
Find the newly created shortcut on the Desktop and drag and drop it onto the Quick Launch toolbar on the Windows Taskbar.
Delete the Shortcut if desired.
You now have the Character Map available at all times.

S.

jazz606
24th February 2007, 10:04
You mean the Degree symbol as in 23 27" I found out how to do this on my imac from
http://web.mit.edu/comdor/editguide/appendices/mac_special_chars.html

for degrees you just hit alt, shift, 8, and bingo .

Binnacle
3rd August 2007, 09:58
I have been looking without success for an anchor symbol on the character map. Is it my bifocals or my advanced years ? TIA.

billyboy
3rd August 2007, 10:35
find your character map and pin it to your start menu. its always just a click away then.

Binnacle
3rd August 2007, 21:02
Thanks Billyboy, I have no problem bringing up the character map, but no joy finding an anchor. Which font contains an anchor ?. Have Windows XP. Maybe there is no anchor among the symbols ?.

K urgess
3rd August 2007, 23:43
Can't find an anchor in any of the fonts I have in XP.

As far as I know the only fonts you can use are the ones that show in the menu above the window you use to type a reply. I don't think it will recognise any others but I may be wrong.

Cheers
Kris

billyboy
3rd August 2007, 23:51
Afraid i cant seem to find an anchor among my lot either Binnacle. I have XP-pro. found something in "webdings the looks like an upside down anchor but it prints as a letter "f'

bugga divino
8th August 2007, 02:51
NGOP]OTl

Couldn't find an anchor (yet), will keep trying..
Cheers
Bugga Divino
(A)