Early Container Ships

julian anstis
1st December 2004, 13:39
I can remember back in 1970 (before the large scale introduction of container ships) we had spent the evening anchored just off the Statute of Liberty waiting to berth in Newark. The next day as we were preparing to up anchor I saw my very first container ship, she was a ex Aircraft Carrier with the flight deck stacked with containers. Painted almost entirely in white she looked very resplendent as she sailed into the port of Newark. I cant remember her name but am pretty sure she was flying under the French flag.
Did any of you guy's ever come across her or know anything about her at all ????? or better still I would love to see a photo of her in her container roll.

Now there's a challenge !

Regards Julian

Ron B Manderson
1st December 2004, 15:06
I can remember back in 1970 (before the large scale introduction of container ships) we had spent the evening anchored just off the Statute of Liberty waiting to berth in Newark. The next day as we were preparing to up anchor I saw my very first container ship, she was a ex Aircraft Carrier with the flight deck stacked with containers. Painted almost entirely in white she looked very resplendent as she sailed into the port of Newark. I cant remember her name but am pretty sure she was flying under the French flag.
Did any of you guy's ever come across her or know anything about her at all ????? or better still I would love to see a photo of her in her container roll.

Now there's a challenge !

Regards Julian

Well Mr Tanker You can do it
Don't think Julian will beat you .
Ron
Ron

julian anstis
2nd December 2004, 11:52
Might have Tanker..pooped..on this one Ron

tanker
2nd December 2004, 14:20
Dear friends , i have some difficult without a surely profile but never say never!!!
hi
Gp

tanker
2nd December 2004, 14:42
Did you remember if the vessels was modified to a cargo ship ?
or built as a cont./ship?

julian anstis
2nd December 2004, 14:57
Hi Tanker,

She looked exactly as she had left the navy, apart from her colour scheme, and all the containers were stacked the length and width of the flight deck. Most definately an aircraft carrier possibly ex French Navy as I am sure she was under the French flag. Could see no other modifications to her at all.

Julian

tanker
2nd December 2004, 17:19
The container that you have seen ,was probably PONCE DE LEON. the ship of
14500 dwt. Development of ro/ro shipping in America leant toward trailer carriers(as against warehouse- type by european), and the commercial version of A.W.CALLAGHAN. PONCE DE LEON (had a french name) and was the first built 1968 of several trailer vessels for Tansamerican Trailer Transport ,with all white hull. funnel white with a band,and three T on the cabin .
Hi
Gp

julian anstis
2nd December 2004, 18:30
Thanks Tanker,

I think you could well be right on that one, the one thing I did not tell you was that she had a triple barrelled name and allthough I could not remember it you managed to come up with one. I remember the bridge was offset to the starboard side as an aircraft carrier would be.....can you confirm that.! and was she the only ship of that design or were there others....names would be interesting.

I take my hat off to your knowledge of shipping Tanker...many thanks, I shall be back with more questions at times.

Kind Regards Julian

julian anstis
2nd December 2004, 18:32
Thanks Tanker,

I think you could well be right on that one, the one thing I did not tell you was that she had a triple barrelled name and allthough I could not remember it you managed to come up with one. I remember the bridge was offset to the starboard side as an aircraft carrier would be.....can you confirm that.! and was she the only ship of that design or were there others....names would be interesting.

I take my hat off to your knowledge of shipping Tanker...many thanks, I shall be back with more questions at times.

Kind Regards Julian

Any photos of her would be nice to see!

tanker
4th December 2004, 19:13
If i am right ;PONCE DE LEON had 4 sisters: ERIK K HOLZER-FORTALEZA-PUERTO RICO-EL TAINO length. 1976(241mt) and similar WESTWARD BRIDGE (extra deck level forward of bridge).
Difficult find a photo!!!

Jim ECO
23rd November 2009, 15:33
Try this link http://container50.org.uk/CramerPhotosE.pdf

Klaatu83
24th November 2009, 21:10
http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=323805

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=172999

Here's a link to the Forteleza and Bayamon, which were similar to the Ponce de Leon. They were not converted aircraft carriers but early purpose-built Roll-On-Roll-Off ships. However, these vessels were different from most Ro-Ros in that they didn't have their own loading ramps. They operated on a regular service between the ports in the U.S. East Coast and Puerto Rico, and the ramps were built onto the docks at each of the terminals at which they tied up.

Incidentally, Ponce de Leon isn't a French name, it's Spanish. He was the Conquistador who went searching for the "Fountain of Youth", and discovered Florida instead.