C.V. Wright, Bosun

HENNEGANOL
27th January 2007, 15:59
Do any of the old BP hands remember a Bosun by the name of C.V. Wright, a Kiwi who apparently use to stay on the ships for two years and then return to NZ for his leaves.

He was Bosun on the British Valour in 1960, my first trip to sea. One of his specialities was to paint the ships he was on, using ships' paint on hardboard.
He painted the British Valour for me, its about 3 feet by eighteen inches and cost me a 1.00.

It took me over 40 years to have it framed which cost 25.00 and is now on the wall behind my computer to remind me of the good old days.

Gerry Taylor

John_F
27th January 2007, 21:40
Gerry,
Afraid that I never came across C.V.Wright but would love to see a photo of the painting. Any chance of you psting one?
Kind regards,
John.

HENNEGANOL
28th January 2007, 09:08
I'll have a go at photographing it but there may be a problem with it being behind glass.

Gerry

twogrumpy
24th April 2007, 19:25
Have in my garage one of Mr. Wright's Pictures, SS British Guardsman, painted in 1969.

I thought the 50's were great looking ships, not sure if my preference for the all aft or midships variety. Possibly midships, engineers aft, close to the food and beer.

twogrumpy

whizbanger
27th May 2007, 11:43
Hi there. I also have a painting by C V Wright. My father travelled on the British Restraint as its sole passenger from Melbourne to Abadan to take up a job with the AIOC in 1947. It is 28" by14", on canvas and cost my dad either a bottle of gin or two bottles of scotch, he's cant quite remember which.
Its taken 50 years, but it will finally be framed this week. best regards.

R58484956
27th May 2007, 11:53
Greetings Whizbanger and a warm welcome to the site of SN. Thank you for joining the crew and enjoy the site. Bon voyage.

rknibbs
27th May 2007, 15:21
C V Wright was bosun on the Br. Dragoon at the time of the Kwinana incident late 1969. He was selling paintings of the Dragoon then.
Robert

HENNEGANOL
28th May 2007, 19:34
John F,

If you read this, I haven't forgotten your request and I will post a photo of my painting as soon as favourable conditions prevail.

Regards.

Gerry

twogrumpy
28th May 2007, 20:10
Have put CV Wrights picture of the Guardsman in My Photos, some of the white paint has started to flake, but not bad for nearly 40 years old.
twogrumpy

whizbanger
31st May 2007, 10:51
Anyone know what the initials C V stand for?

dnobmal
2nd June 2007, 20:32
I seem to remember there was an old Russian chippy who sailed with BTC,he came from Paris cannot remember which ship we were on,does anyone else recall him,also there was a Bosun who was Spanish though he lived in the Tyne and had a family there.While we are on the subject of BTC/BP has anyone sailed with Capt K Mitchell he had some fingers missing on one of his hands i was with him on the El Morro,and the story I heard,was after a crew pay-off in Falmouth the name of the ship I do not know, the showers and toilets in the crews quarters were trashed.When he and the union rep went down aft to inspect the damage Capt Mitchell slipped on the tiled deck and fell on to a shattered toilet pan,that is how he was supposed to have lost his fingers can anybody else verify that

Indie Boy
7th June 2007, 16:26
Captain K.M.Mitchell was also Master of the SMOKY HILL in 1951. A hard man, but very fair. I always thought he belonged on a square rigger.

janbonde
8th June 2007, 18:25
Hello Indie boy that is exactly how I found him a very straight man with every body on the ship,we were on the Plate run

Pete Whelam
11th November 2007, 21:06
It sounds like I have the same painting. It is the British Guardsman dated 8/1969. This was my first trip to see as a deck boy.

tcrispe
3rd January 2008, 19:02
My uncle was on the British Talent and we also have a painting by C.V.Wright dated 1956. We would like to have more information on the artist if you have anything. Many thanks

david freeman
20th January 2008, 18:51
All Though a KIWI I thought this painter and bosun of BP Tankers had a billit in Falmouth. I did sail with this bosun(White Crew) but I can not remember when? sometime 1963-66 I think on the Queen or Bombadier. Most of my time was on Indian/Karachi crewed ships.

Radiomariner
12th November 2008, 23:43
I am at this very moment looking at a painting of "British Mariner" painted by CV Wright March 1967. It is painted on the back of a piece of hardboard, Using ships paints. The comment I get most often is "The funnel is not right" but that actually was the shape of the funnel like a "Pepper Pot".
The detail is very accurate, the artist counted the side railing stantions. It is flying signal flags GLTA the British Mariners call sign, as was custom for entering many ports in those days.
The Mariner was my last BP Ship.

Minto
3rd January 2009, 11:33
He was bosun on the British Mariner when I joined as first trip engine room boy. December 1966 to May 1967. Exactly as you say with the paintings. Shows my ignorance, I thought he was Aussie!!

cheryl
19th August 2009, 20:10
Do any of the old BP hands remember a Bosun by the name of C.V. Wright, a Kiwi who apparently use to stay on the ships for two years and then return to NZ for his leaves.

He was Bosun on the British Valour in 1960, my first trip to sea. One of his specialities was to paint the ships he was on, using ships' paint on hardboard.
He painted the British Valour for me, its about 3 feet by eighteen inches and cost me a 1.00.

It took me over 40 years to have it framed which cost 25.00 and is now on the wall behind my computer to remind me of the good old days.

Gerry Taylor
I sailed with C.V.Wright on the "Courage" Sept 62 to June 63. (Long trips in those days) He was painting his pictures then . There used to be some of his pictures in "The Ship" in Falmouth, probably long gone.I also thought that he was an Australian, but had a place in Falmouth. Regards

Old Janner
20th August 2009, 12:43
Sailed with C.V.Wright on the BR Power, Dragoon and Mariner. 100 % Australian, he did spend time in Falmouth.
Very much a Loner, always had his own fridge in his cabin and was always full of beer, he used to buy the beer issues from anybody who did'nt take theirs. I cannot remember anybody calling him any other name than Bous.
He used to sell his paintings for GBP 5 . His favourite painting was the BR Queen, he could always knock one of those up easy for anybody that wanted one, I think later the Mariner was his second favourite.
I often wondered when he retired and did he go back to Aus ?
Spence.

kauvaka
22nd November 2009, 02:09
CV Wright was a Kiwi from Dunedin in the South Island. I joined the British Valour (Capt FLAMSTEAD) at Grain on 14 October 1959, did 5 trips on her as Firemen/greaser and signed off at Newcastle (drydock) on 18 June 1960. He was Bosun on there during that period and like Hennegamol my memory from conversations with him was that he went back to NZ every 2 years. Later lived in NZ for 35 yrs myself. His ship paintings were very accurate, particularly the colours which he was able to replicate so well lol. We did have an Aussie down below who on a trip to Kwinana, New Year 1959/1960, visited his hometown of Fremantle for the first time since the 40s. ERS was "Wilkie" Wilkinson, a Geordie.
Tony Wilson

sxchap54
29th September 2011, 16:49
I found this thread by doing a Google Search and it has been a very interesting read. I have no connection with the sea myself, but last week, whilst clearing out the garage of a house I had just bought, I came across a very dusty and dirty painting of the British Valour, signed by C.V. Wright, March 1959. It was originally destined for the skip, but I put it to one side for a second look. Like the others described, it is painted on hardboard and is very detailed. The more I looked at it, the more it grew on me (perhaps it reminded of the ships I used to see and draw when I was a child) and is now has pride of place on the workshop office wall. From conversations with neighbours, it turned out that the previous owner of the house, Eddie McBride, sailed on the British Valour around this time.

malky C
19th December 2011, 10:31
I have a painting by C.V.Wright of the "British Officer"passing Gib. it is painted on hardboard. It was given to me by a Ex tanker Captain who's
name is also "Wright".
I did read somewhere that C.V.Wright did stay at a pub in Falmouth,
which had lots of his paintings, but that the pub on longer exists.
I also read that C.V.WRIGHT used to paint, up to six paintings at a time,
of the same subject.
Regards J.Malcolm Craik.