Rms

julian anstis
1st December 2004, 16:29
Can anyone tell me the significance of a ship being known as RMS............
as my old ship (MV ICENIC) I have also seen refered to as RMS ICENIC.
I know it stands for Royal Mail Steamer and we used to do a lot of courtesy calls carrying mail for Pitcairn Island etc. But what did the ship have to do (if anything) to earn or use the title RMS.......or was it just the fact that she was carrying mail, which gave her the right to use it.....????

Ron B Manderson
1st December 2004, 17:12
Can anyone tell me the significance of a ship being known as RMS............
as my old ship (MV ICENIC) I have also seen refered to as RMS ICENIC.
I know it stands for Royal Mail Steamer and we used to do a lot of courtesy calls carrying mail for Pitcairn Island etc. But what did the ship have to do (if anything) to earn or use the title RMS.......or was it just the fact that she was carrying mail, which gave her the right to use it.....????

Ill refer you to Ships list .com
You will see what it say's about that and Samuel Cunard
Ron

julian anstis
1st December 2004, 18:16
Thanks Ron,

Appreciate that ...found the site ok but could not find the relevant section....any ideas

Julian

Ron B Manderson
1st December 2004, 18:59
Thanks Ron,

Appreciate that ...found the site ok but could not find the relevant section....any ideas

Julian

Julian
Go to www.rms-republic.com
will explain all
also www.postalmuseum.si.edu/titanic/

Ron

julian anstis
1st December 2004, 20:25
Thanks Ron,

All explained now, just waiting to see if Tanker can come up trump's with my other query

Julian

oldbosun
1st December 2004, 23:04
I always thought that RMS meant "Royal Mail Ship" Nothing to do with Royal Mail Line, but that the ship was contracted to carry the Royal Mails.

david smith
2nd December 2004, 17:29
you are correct oldbosun, and the Icenic was never RMS,as far as i can recall. she was m.v. only. - unless someone had another wording for RMS!

julian anstis
2nd December 2004, 18:12
She was never known as RMS whilst I was on her, it was just that I came across a picture of her in about 1976 where she was refered to as RMS. I thought she might have been given that title after I left her..??

Julian

david smith
2nd December 2004, 18:25
I am sure this was a mistake, probably titled by a non marine person. Like any ship referred to in the press is a tanker!