Did anyone sail with my dad

Dan Bell
29th January 2007, 16:37
My dad sailed with Ben Line in the late 60's to early 70's. His name is DAVID BELL and was serving on the following ships on the the following dates:-

BENVRACKIE 07/07/67 - 24/12/68
BENEDIN 16/04/69 - 20/11/70
BENSTAC 08/02/71 - 05/03/71
BENRIOCH 19/03/71 - 26/04/71
BENRINNES 08/02/72 - 28/03/72
BENVALLA 06/04/72 - 19/07/72
BENCAIRN 27/03/73 - 06/08/73

Thank you for reading. I will be pleased to hear from some of his old crew mates.

non descript
29th January 2007, 17:25
Dan,

I have moved it to the Ben Line thread, as it may have a better result there.

Good luck

Dan Bell
29th January 2007, 19:06
oh thank you

Taleso
4th February 2007, 06:39
(Thumb) .... Hi Dan,

I was the second engineer on that coast joined 20th Feb in Grangemouth (the boys had a curry night at my house) and paid off 6th March in Hull (then we had a party at my brothers' house) so they were an eventfull few days to say the least!

Most of the guys I had sailed with before but not your father.

Normally voyaging with Ben Line, this was during a year I was coasting where different crews came together for short periods so this foggy old brain needs a bit more info on your Dad to remember him. The name is familiar but what age was he then and what was his job on the ship?

Best regards
Gordon Porter

Dan Bell
4th February 2007, 13:28
he was 20 at the time just coming up to 21 and his job on the ship was 3rd mate he was just reliveing on the ship before the voyage crew rejoined.

Taleso
5th February 2007, 14:14
Hi Dan,

Could well be he was at my house for the curry do as taxis were running back and forward as guys were coming off watch. I know each of all the mates and engineers were there at some point in the proceedings and it was a sore turn to in the morning for everybody.

Best attraction was the gorgeous young red head from next door.....and the curry was not too bad as well :sweat: .

Best regards,
Taleso

Dan Bell
5th February 2007, 15:16
Hi Talso, thank you for your replies.
I have been speaking to my dad and he remembers going to grangemouth alot in his time with Benline, most of the time to "load up with whiskey". But unfortunately his grey matter cannot be working that well nowadays as he can not remember either going to your house for a curry, the "red haired girl from next door", or all officers and engineers leaving the ship to go to your house. He even went as far as to say that he didnt think that he ever went ashore in grangemouth. I would'nt have thought he would have gone to your brothers house in Hull either because he Lived in Hull so i would imagine that he would have gone streight home.

All the best.
Dan(Pint)

non descript
5th February 2007, 17:24
Hi Talso, thank you for your replies.
I have been speaking to my dad and he remembers going to grangemouth alot in his time with Benline, most of the time to "load up with whiskey". But unfortunately his grey matter cannot be working that well nowadays as he can not remember either going to your house for a curry, the "red haired girl from next door", or all officers and engineers leaving the ship to go to your house. He even went as far as to say that he didnt think that he ever went ashore in grangemouth. I would'nt have thought he would have gone to your brothers house in Hull either because he Lived in Hull so i would imagine that he would have gone streight home.

All the best.
Dan(Pint)

Dan,
I like it… “because he lived in Hull so I would imagine that he would have gone straight home” … plenty of scope for a philosophical discussion on that one; but far more important, it is good to see that you are getting some nice replies to your quest for information and I’m sure you Dad appreciates it.

The real reason for posting this reply, is just to bring the thread into view, and not poke fun at anyone. (Jester)

Kind regards
Mark

Dan Bell
5th February 2007, 18:48
HA HA HA I was just getting carried away. nice 1.
(Applause) (Thumb)

Dan

Taleso
7th February 2007, 12:00
Hi Dan,

I've been speaking to the boss and she says I am about a year out on my recollection of the party dates.....and who am I to argue? So please tell your dad he is not completely fogged out after all!

My discharge book tells me that we did the coast together and sorry, that's about it...........(POP)

I hope you get more replies,
Taleso......the memory man.

ian d.cameron
8th February 2007, 13:11
hi Dan, i am new to this site so i just seen your posting, i did a double header on the Valla 03/12/71 - 17/03/72 and 18/03/72 - 19/07/72. so i sailed on the second trip with your dad, i was jos/sos at the time but the old brain cells are a wee bit foggy.

Dan Bell
8th February 2007, 17:32
Ian
My dad remembers the trip on the Valla, with Capt. Bruce in charge. The thing he remembers the most of the trip was the two passangers, man and wife, that where on the ship for the whole voyage. He also remembers coming back from Singapore to Hamburg then to London where evryone paid off as the Valla was been sold to the Chineese.
Regards
Dan(Thumb)

ian d.cameron
9th February 2007, 11:03
hi Dan, when we payed off in london some of us were asked to do the run job to her new owners but i think we all refused (to sad to see her go). i remember the passengers very nice people. Cap't Bruce, Sandy Lamont(bosun), Dan(chinese cook), Happy (2nd cook). Willie Ross(ab). William Beatie(ab). i am sure more will come to me.
was your dad on her when Willie Stikle was killied in hong kong? i can't remember if it was on the first trip or the second. a horrific and sad tragedy in the history of such a beautiful ship.
regards. Ian

Dan Bell
10th February 2007, 15:25
Hi Ian
Thank you for your reply.
My dad remembers the incident well. He said that the ship was alongside at the Ocean Terminal in Hong Kong unloading when a strop snapped and a girder fell onto poor Willie Stikle and killed him. The girder landed half on the ship and half on the quay and ripped of half a bulkhead. As if it couldnt be worse poor Willie was very close to retirement. He also said that the 2nd mate, Merdoch Mcloud, was on the bridge doing his charts at the time of the incident and saw the whole thing, apparently he suffered with nightmares for months afterwards.
Do you remember the piece of railway track that slipped out of a sling and went streight through a container full of toothpaste?
It seems like a eventful last voyage for the ship and no wonder no one wanted to stay onboard to take her to the chineese.
Thanx again for your reply.
Dan(Bounce)

ian d.cameron
11th February 2007, 12:36
hi Dan.
yes Willie had nine months to go before he retired, Willie Ross was climbing the ladder onto the winch island just behind him as the girder came down, the bloody thing hit him on the head but he only got four stitches in the cut(a very very lucky man). as i remember the girder weighed forty ton.
i remember something about the toothpaste, but for the live of me i can't recall the details.
there's a good photo of the valla's for'd deck in ben line the unofficial site.i noticed some guys where having trouble accessing this site, so if you can't get it i'll send it to you.
regards. Ian

Dan Bell
14th February 2007, 21:01
Hi Ian
You are right, willie is a lucky man to only get 4 stiches. I have the picture of Valla's bow already. thanks for the offer anyway.
Regards,
Dan (Thumb)

am011k5786
26th May 2009, 23:09
am011k5786
hi,dan sorry i was only on the Vrackie for the coast 23aug-9sept 1968 back on her may 1970. alex macdonald.

Dan Bell
26th May 2009, 23:17
thanks for the reply alex, i will keep trying i am sure someone on this forum will remember sailing with my father. Dan

am011k5786
26th May 2009, 23:25
hi,dan sorry i was just on the coast on the Vrackie 23 Aug/9 Sept 68 your dad would be on leave.next time i was on her 21/5/70 it was my last voyage in the MN. alex macdonald.all the best.

billpearce48
2nd March 2010, 11:27
Hi Dan, just spotted this post.

I was on the Benvrackie during 1968 as a Junior Engineer. I believe that I paid off from Benvrackie in December 1968 along with Dave. It was just before xmas and I seem to recall that I travelled north from Kings Cross with Dave as he was travelling to Hull and I was carrying on to Middlesbrough.

Bill Pearce

Dan Bell
9th May 2010, 21:42
hi bill, sorry for taking so long to reply, he remembers coming back up north with you. he has been telling me all about the voyage. will try and squeeze more info out of him soon.
kind regards
dan

cptpugwash
21st August 2014, 22:46
i sailed on the from 8/5/68 until the 23/12/68 as edh i may have sailed wtih your dad

angus young
26th August 2014, 14:40
Hi Dan, I did two voyages on the dreaded Benedin as 4th eng , your dad was 3rd mate. We did the 4 to 8 watch.
I have a photograph him, me and the 2nd mate on the boatdeck of
the Benedin. I have attached a DocScan.pdf of same in the
additional options section below, don't know if I have got it right or not [being old school]
Cheers
Angus Young