Interesting Book

julian anstis
2nd December 2004, 15:44
For all you Shaw Savill fans and ex employee's I have a book entitled SHAW SAVILL & ALBION, THE POST WAR FORTUNES OF A SHIPPING EMPIRE by RICHARD P de KERBRECH...ISBN No 0 85177 3931 published by Conway Maritime Press Ltd, 24 Bride Lane, Fleet Street, London, EC4Y 8DR was priced at 15:00 when I purchased it back in 1986. Dont know if its still in publication or not but is well worth getting hold of, tells the history of the company from 1945/1986. With many excelent photo's and line drawings of the majority of SS&A's ships. Along with the history and other companies that ended up under the SS&A,s flag.

If you cant get a copy and need to know something contact me and I will see if its within the pages.

Julian

david smith
2nd December 2004, 21:41
This book is very good, written in an easy style. I read it from cover to cover whilst a poll clerk for a european election - plenty of time to read - only 6 voters all day! Very interesting stories of the latter days of Slow Starvation and Agony. A better book for the years 1858-82 is "Sail to New Zealand the story of Shaw savill & Co 1858-82" by David Savill isbn 0-7090-2809-1

Richard P de Kerbrech published two books titled The Shaw savill Line ;Images in mast, Steam and Motor (1992) and The Shaw savill Line; The post-war fortunes of a shipping empire (1986)(mentioned above)

There were loads written on this shipping company. I could write a book on my days at sea - any sponsors???

flyer682
3rd December 2004, 10:43
We await Chapter One with baited breath............... (:P)

julian anstis
3rd December 2004, 12:23
"here....here" !

RoyVK4CAT
17th March 2005, 09:32
Julian does the book mention at all about when the Gothic was almost SUNK in DRYDOCK!!! In the King George V drydock at the Royal Docks, someone called out that the ship was down on the blocks when she was actually still afloat!!! So we started opening up the main overboard discharge valves and that was it we all got suddenly very wet and the Gothic ended up with a 15 degree list while sitting on the dock bottom.

julian anstis
17th March 2005, 14:29
Hi there Roy,

I have read the book three times now and cannot recall any mention of this incident you remember. The Gothic is well covered in the book as she was the temporary Royal Yacht and also due to the fatefull fire she had on board near the end of her life.I am fairly certain there was no mention of this incident but will pay more attention next time I read it. But if you ever need me to look anything up about SS&A I will see if I can find it within. Also I am in touch with the SS&A historian who may have records of events etc.

Cheers Julian

david smith
17th March 2005, 16:35
The Mystic of Johnson Warren Lines (Furness Withy) was in Shaw savill colours when she "fell over" in drydock. Is this the occasion you are talking about?

RoyVK4CAT
19th March 2005, 10:05
Hi Julian I can't remember the date when the Gothic was nearly scuttled in drydock but it was after she went to the West Indies as the Royal Yacht. I know most of what happened being as I was one of the fitters working down in the engine room when it happened!!! Not a very nice experience actually to have quite a few tons of dock water suddenly come surging through a very large open valve. She had about 15 feet of water under the keel at the time and I was one of the blokes below that water level down near the bilges at the time!!! Those that couldn't swim very quickly learnt even if it was a dog paddle!!! Cheers RoyVK4CAT

RoyVK4CAT
19th March 2005, 10:07
No David it was definately the Gothic and it certainly made the local East End Newspapers. About how the Queen's Royal Ship was SUNK in the local DryDock!!!

shipmate17
7th June 2005, 17:44
Hi,
Just put pics of ship and crew of the M.v Cedric and Suevic in the gallery.
cheers.
shipmate17

warwick
12th June 2005, 02:08
Hi. Interesting reading those exchanges. I was in Gothic for the Royal Tour and the drydock incident didn't occur around those dates - October 1953 - May 1954. The allusion to 'the Queen's ship' suggests it happened sometime after the tour. And to shipmate17, Great pictures. I sailed with Frank Charnley in Amalric in 1963. Is that John Sayers obscured by his sextant in the shot showing how we used to navigate?
warwick

Rusty
12th June 2005, 13:24
The Gothic was my first ship, which I joined in September 1956 as 2nd R/O for a run to NZ and back. Seasick the first week. On the return journey I picked up a distress, to which the ship was diverted, so that we missed the tide and spent New Year's Eve swinging round the hook in the river outside RA Dock.
Will try and post a pic of the this ship in Lyttelton on the Gallery.
Rusty

warwick
13th June 2005, 08:50
Hi David. Being a recent member I've only just got around to reading all this nostalgia. I wonder what period you served with Shaw Savill? I was with them from 1950 to 1963 (deck boy to chief officer). I agree a lot has been written about the company but having just come from a reunion of the Shaw Savill Society in Welligton (NZ), I find a marked reluctance by members, who are otherwise happy to speak about their memories, very reluctant to commit anecdotes to paper. I've made a record of many episodes (some possibly apocryphal) for my own benefit. I note your throw-away line about sponsorship for your book! A couple of years ago I wrote about my first voyage - in the "Waimana" from Auckland to Glasgow, but had to fund it myself. Something called 'vanity publishing' I believe. Still, I enjoyed writing it. I have an unpublished sequel covering the next two years mostly in the 'Dominion Monarch', but funds have run out!!
warwick