Warina ex Whangaroa

Jim S
31st January 2007, 21:05
There is a photo in the Gallery of WARINA ex NZS Co Whangaroa.
Tom Haywood and myself would be interested to hear how BI manned her, JUWARA and JELUNGA that were also aquired from NZS Co/Federal in the late 1960's. Designed for European ratings how did this fit in with BI's Asian ratings policy?

tom e kelso
9th February 2007, 00:15
Jim & Tom,

The following is an extract from "BI" by Laxon and Perry which may be of interest regarding this ship: "WHANGAROA remained with NZS for only ten years, as in 1965 she followed the lead ship of the class into another of the then P&O Group companies, Union Steam.....and became the WAINUI for that company's service between Calcutta and NZ In conjunction with BI).......A prolonged strike in Auckland in 1969/70 which lasted 141 days, and was in effect a dispute between engineers and engine-room crew dealt a fatal blow to the Union Company's particiation in the Calcutta trade. WAINUI was manned by officers and shore staff for the voyage to Singapore, where she was handed over to the BI on 31/03/70 becoming the WARINA on the understanding that she would not return to NZ to avoid further union confrontations. It did not really matter as BI kept her for only a year before selling her on 17/04/71 to Admiti SDhipping Co of Famagusta who renamed her GAROUFALIA. In 1972 she briefly became DROMEUS..... but resumed the name GOURFALIA in 1973. Broken up Kaosiung 1974"

Late in 1970, when in command of TAIREA anchored at Chalna (East Pakistan) she anchored next to us. I thought her to be a finely proportioned ship, but her Captain (R Windle) visiting us maintained that she had not a great deal of positive stability, putting this down to the highly placed weight of MacGregor hatches at No.1 and No.4 hatches.
At this time BI , with the exception of the School Cruising ships and the Eastern Service passenger ships, had already more or less, introduced GP crews, which in one fell swoop, had reduced the crew numbers by half! So, I feel that there would not be a great deal of difference in total crew numbers in 1970 compared with her earlier days in NZS, which I would suggest in their own way, were in previous years,over-manned when compared with some other companies.

Salaams,

Tom

Jim S
12th February 2007, 18:44
Tom,
Thanks for your info on the ex NZ S Co ships on transfer to BI.
You say that BI had gone over to GP crews - So were these ships still crewed by European ratings or had GP ratings become a fact of life with Asian ratings also?
I think Tom and I were intrigued more by how the ships could have been re-configured to cope with the different messing and culture that Asian ratings would have brought to the equation.

Jim

tom e kelso
15th February 2007, 08:06
Jim,

BI GP ratings, vice seperate deck and engine ratings, I seem to remember started tio be introduced about the latter half of the 1960's. Initially, they came from a government training establishment at Karachi, to which I think BI contributed some finance. Similar training schemes followed in Calcutta, Bombay, and I think, Vizag. The Karachi establishment was run very much along naval lines and trainees in both Pakistan and India were all good English speakers (many disliked being spoken to in Hindustani, their English, to a man, being vastly superior to our "bazaar bat" and the use of the latter started to be discontinued) At about the same period, the Indian Government, if I remember correctly, started to enforce a strict retiral age, along with an enhanced pension scheme financed by a levy on shipowners)and many of the more elderly kalassis and agwallahs suddenly seemed to disappear off the map. Our new ships , by this time were already being built with 2 berth cabins as the norm and one crew galley and one crew mess....ablutions no longer were tripled. In the following years I cannot recollect one instance of a clash of cultures e.g.Hindu v Muslim., feeding etc. These men were all very well educated, and although by no means general, I found that they took more advantage of the SES libraries than British ratings For many years after I retired, I had a regular correspondent who had been the CPO in the Vosges and Vendee, before the Indian crew was displaced about 1981 by British GP crew.....(I just wished that I could write as good letter as he did) If I remember rightly, at this changeover, we had two less GP's (and five less Catering crew !). {Alas, the end of my lunch time curry!}

Tom