Vista

thunderd
31st January 2007, 21:32
Has anyone got Vista yet, I know its a bit early but I wonder if they could give us their initial impression.

newda898
31st January 2007, 21:46
Some parts of Vista look remarkably like Apple's OSX. Here's some pictures from the second release candidate:
http://content.techrepublic.com.com/2346-10877_11-34402.html

I think I'll probably leave it for a while, let it settle in and wait for all the drivers and software to sort themselves out.

Frank P
31st January 2007, 22:10
My nephew works in IT, and he say's that the public should wait 6-8 months untill microsoft have ironed out some of the bugs.

Frank

steviej
31st January 2007, 22:14
Vista. Only playing catch up with the Mac.

benjidog
31st January 2007, 23:47
Derek,

My advice is to wait - or if you really can't, install it on a second machine so you can fall-back to the old one. I would be very surprised if installation goes smoothly on any kind of machine with components (hardware or software) more than a year old or with unusual add-on cards, peripherals or out of the ordinary software which has probably not been tested with it.

If you buy a new machine you will not have a choice for long as Vista will come ready installed - at least in that case you can take it back to the store if there is an issue. And even if you are buying a new machine I would ask the vendor that there is support for your particular model of printer, scanner etc. as drivers tend to be delivered late or not at all if past experience is anything to go by.

Also you should ask yourself why you should install it. Are there features in it you really need? If the answer is no then why spend money and risk problems with your system.

Regards,

Brian

Gavin Gait
1st February 2007, 00:02
Microsoft have already said that they will drop all support for XP by 2011 , I think WinME will be dropped this year if not already.

My Brother-in-Law has seen it operating ( they got it to try in his work , Civil Service ) and they were decidedly not impressed. The system requirements mean that unless your running a minimum of 1Gig of Ram , a fast Processor ( nothing less than 1.8Ghz ) and have a 200Gig Hard Drive this sucker aint going to run properly. Ignore the "minimum requirements" that microsoft say will be able to run the software take the reccomended as the lowest and up it considerably to get it to run anywhere near properly.

I have learned over the years to only buy a new Windows Operating System just before a new one comes out. By that time all of the serious bugs will be ironed out and it should run ok ( saying that Windows XP hates my folders of jpg images , more than 250 images and it closes the window with an error message when WinME would scroll thru a folder with 8000 images in it without as much as pausing !!! good job I kept my old PC for doing my photo's and videos on lol )

I've had a computer since 1981 ( Sinclair ZX81 ) , worked my way thru 6 Sinclair ZX Spectrums ( still got the 128 (Thumb) ) , a couple Commodore C64's ( still got them too ) , an Amiga A500+ , then onto building my own PC's in 1994 using Windows 3.11 thru to my latest PC which I bought as it was cheaper than the individual component costs !!.

I've used all versions of Windows from DOS in 1987 on a PC-AT in the Fishery Office , thru 3.11 ( still the best if your running accounts / word processing / etc as its absolutely stable unlike everything since ) , Windows95, Windows 98SE, WindowsME , WindowsXP and of them all if I could do what I wanted on this PC i'd still be using 3.11 as in the years I had that it only crashed twice !!

Davie(Thumb)

Gavin Gait
1st February 2007, 12:17
If you are thinking of getting Vista beware. I recieved an Email from Orange ( formerly Freeserve ) warning everyong to check with microsoft frst before upgrading due to the fact that the USB Broadband Modems might not work at all.

Check check and check again folks or better yet wait 12 months and see what happens !!!

Davie

Mad Landsman
1st February 2007, 19:47
What about Linux?

Yes I know that there are loads of different distibutions and some of the older ones didn't support all the hardware but updates are running all the time so not a problem for long.

Overall there are believed to be more Linux users in the world than users of Mac OS10, and it's similarly bomb-proof. As a additional benefit there are not many viruses written capable of having any effect upon, but if you're worried AVG do a free anti virus for Linux as well.

So, I use MS XP on my main machine but have been trying various 'distros' on other machines - Suse seems to be all singing and dancing and Ubuntu seems to be the choice for the KISS user.

When you read the terms of use that Uncle Bill has written into Vista then anything, yes anything, is a better bet in the value for money department.

Does anyone else have a view on that?

benjidog
1st February 2007, 20:25
Clockman,

I have experimented with Suse Linux and it is very good and comes with a pretty decent set of applications - many of which can read and write stuff in Microsoft format - Word, Excel etc.

The downside is getting help if you have problems - not that many people know what to do if it goes wrong and the ones that do tend to be geeks! As I work for an IT company there is no shortage of geeks for me to ask dumb questions to but others might not be so fortunate (or unfortunate depending on your viewpoint).

Regards,

Brian

steviej
1st February 2007, 21:17
It seems that windows remains the predominant platform for personal computers. However Apple's share of the PC market is increasing by around 5% when the PC market is declining
The Mac is more secure against virus attacks, slick and with easy to use software to make movies or slideshows. fits neatly with the ipod against the suspect Zune The windows PC is a boring productivity tool (spreadsheets etc) that can't handle creative assignments very well. Stick with the Mac. More exciting?

thunderd
1st February 2007, 22:41
Many thanks to everyone for the comments. Looks like the old maxim of not installing any new operating system for about 12 months after the release is still current and I am certainly not interested in pioneering.

lakercapt
1st February 2007, 22:41
I suppose that if you want help there is a phone number you can call and after a considerable wait with a recording saying your call is important please stay on the line and you will be answered in sequence, a friendly voice of a Peter Sellers talk alike from Bangalore India will assist(sic) you.
Having been with Indian crews my ears are tuned but dambed if I could understand!!!

Mad Landsman
2nd February 2007, 20:57
Thank you Brian (Benjidog). That pretty well confirms what I am thinking.
Well it seems that no one else has a view on Linux. Maybe they don't know that it has grown up now, or perhaps they people don't want to be associated with geeks.....
For myself NO, I am not a geek, but will admit to being a member of that other breed the 'B.O.F.' but I don't think that I am alone on this site.

Frank P
2nd February 2007, 21:09
Clockman,

I am putting together a second computer, I was going to install Win XP, but reading your post I am thinking to give Linux ago. Where would I get a Linux installation disc please?

Cheers Frank

mcgurggle
2nd February 2007, 21:18
Google for "Suse Linux" or "Ubuntu".

Mad Landsman
3rd February 2007, 19:28
I have sent a PM reply to Frank P, but if anyone else needs/wants help in finding Linux then here is what I said (Same as mcgurggle, but longer):

If you have not used Linux before the really odd thing is that there is no definitive version. They are all based on a core and developed along similar lines, but different.
Pronounced LIN-UX (rhymes with pin).
If you want to try various distributions, (referred to as distros) then one of the cheapest options is to have a look on ebay, some sellers offer a stack of discs for about the price of the media. I've no idea how they make a profit.
The really cheap option is to find a website and download it yourself, but as you then have to burn your own media it's no better than ebay.
Next option is to visit W.H.Smith or similar, there are a number of Linux magazines which offer a full distribution as a cover gift. Sometimes Smiths themselves do a package with Software and basic instructions, but you take a chance whether it is the latest version or not.
Top end is to buy a commercial product, Suse Linux made by novel is available in a box with the manual. (The latest version is 10.2) There are others and I think even PC World might have something tucked away.
Good Luck, I hope you enjoy using it.

Regards,
Malcolm.

Frank P
4th February 2007, 00:41
Malcolm, thanks for PM and the information, I have just bought a Suse 10.2 version on Ebay, I will see how it goes.

Cheers Frank

Mad Landsman
5th February 2007, 19:39
While in a newsagent this morning I spotted the Computer magazines, three of which had cover mentions of Vista:

1. 'Make your PC easier to use and safer with Vista'
2. 'Vista, do you need it?'
3. With a picture of a Vista box: 'The most pointless upgrade of 2007'

Seems that people in the know are divided to say the least.

Brian Dobbie
5th February 2007, 20:33
If you go to the Microsoft website you can download a small file that will scan your computer and advise corrective action to be taken prior to upgrading to Vista.
I found that I could upgrade but:---

A) My scanner might not work

B) Winzip will have to be removed and reinstalled and even then might (note might) not work

C) Also several bits of software ( Adobe Photoshop 4 ) needs to be updated from the Adobe website.

Overall it seems to me that an upgrade could send my system base over apex.

My computer is 2yrs old and runs on XP with a Pentium 4 / 3.2 processor.
With 1GB ram, 250GB hard drive,DVD burner and DVD ROM.

Brian

K urgess
5th February 2007, 23:16
Linux is looking more and more attractive.

Having just got to grips with Windows XP I will not be considering Vista until the version after comes out and maybe not even then.

Even if your machine is only a couple of years old your original XP disks will need a few hours of upgrade downloads now just to make it safe if you ever have to re-install. It would be more to the point to bring out an XP upgrade with all the downloads/upgrades incorporated.

Now if Linux had a really good emulator that would run Windows programs seamlessly.......

Or should one just by a Mac and be done with it?[=P]

Frank P
5th February 2007, 23:44
Fubar, for XP you can get Service Pack 2 on a disk from microsoft (free) it contains most of the updates that you need and it takes about 30 minutes to install. I have heard that Service Pack 3 should be out soon.

Frank

K urgess
6th February 2007, 00:04
Thanks Frank,
Got service pack 2 but still needs a lot of download time for updates.

I'd heard there was supposed to be a service pack 3 but someone warned that it could be dodgy. I'll wait and see what appears.

Cheers

ray1buck1
6th February 2007, 08:46
I understand that Vista will not run with AOL ISP they issued a directive for the downloads and system requirements
also that a usb plug in modem will need to be replaced with Ethernet modem or router
Ray

Spike
6th February 2007, 09:25
Have been using the RTM business version of Vista for the past 6 weeks in my office and so far have not found any problems.
USB plug-in modems will work as long as you have a suitable driver for them.
I have a 6 year old Canon scanner which works happily using its XP driver.
Anyone who uses AOL does not deserve to run a modern operating system.
Will be buying the business version next week so will revert if any big problems found but I have to say that so far it is quicker, more stable and has a much better interface than XP.
Spike (Thumb)

newda898
6th February 2007, 18:15
From what I last heard, the XP Service pack 3 isn't expected until the 1st quarter of 2008! Presumably to encourage more people to upgrade to Vista.

Frank P
2nd March 2007, 14:06
I have sent a PM reply to Frank P, but if anyone else needs/wants help in finding Linux then here is what I said (Same as mcgurggle, but longer):

If you have not used Linux before the really odd thing is that there is no definitive version. They are all based on a core and developed along similar lines, but different.
Pronounced LIN-UX (rhymes with pin).
If you want to try various distributions, (referred to as distros) then one of the cheapest options is to have a look on ebay, some sellers offer a stack of discs for about the price of the media. I've no idea how they make a profit.
The really cheap option is to find a website and download it yourself, but as you then have to burn your own media it's no better than ebay.
Next option is to visit W.H.Smith or similar, there are a number of Linux magazines which offer a full distribution as a cover gift. Sometimes Smiths themselves do a package with Software and basic instructions, but you take a chance whether it is the latest version or not.
Top end is to buy a commercial product, Suse Linux made by novel is available in a box with the manual. (The latest version is 10.2) There are others and I think even PC World might have something tucked away.
Good Luck, I hope you enjoy using it.

Regards,
Malcolm.

Thanks again Malcolm,

I have been trying out Linux (Suse 10.2) for a couple of weeks and I have not had any real problems, I am using it at this moment and Linux seems to run faster than XP.
I would say to anybody that if you only wanted to surf the internet and print some office items it is worth giving Linux a go, it is easy enough to use, looking at it Linux has allot more applications but I have not got that far yet.

Cheers Frank(Thumb)

Davey
6th May 2007, 00:25
Some people may like to try dual booting or a virtual pc boot by Windows.

http://apcmag.com/node/5162/

http://www.vsubhash.com/writeups/multiboot_os.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

Shipinfo
6th May 2007, 06:28
Thank you Brian (Benjidog). That pretty well confirms what I am thinking.
Well it seems that no one else has a view on Linux. Maybe they don't know that it has grown up now, or perhaps they people don't want to be associated with geeks.....
For myself NO, I am not a geek, but will admit to being a member of that other breed the 'B.O.F.' but I don't think that I am alone on this site.

I don't consider myself a geek either but I have been using Linux for over seven years and am not planning on going back to Windows. I did beta test Vista and must say that for anyone with the right hardware it's not a bad OS and like anything new it'll take awhile to work out how things are done.

lilguy43uk
6th May 2007, 11:07
I have to agree with Davie Tait's remarks about minimum operating system requirements. Yes, the system will run on minimum specs quite happily but slowly. The problems start when you add your own software at which point things bog down because the O/s is hogging all the resources that they need to run properly.

Benjidog's comment about installing on a second machine to try it out makes very good sense but can be an expensive option (cost of O/s plus any upgrades etc).

Frank P's nephew's advice to "wait and see" also makes sound sense. Look how many upgrades, patches and patches for patches Microsoft have released for XP, a system that was widely touted as the be all to end all when it was first released.

I work as an IT Technician maintaining computers, printers and servers etc for a huge UK body (which shall be nameless but just think hospitals) and we are only now moving to XP as it seems to have had most of the bugs ironed out of it.

I think I'll wait and see with Vista.

keskom
6th May 2007, 13:10
Hello, yes, I am a new recruit. I was recommended to join to view comments on Vista, as due to my retirement hobby I need to know as much about it as possible, good and bad. Problems, whether fixable or wait on MS. Today those buying a new computer can only get a Vista installed machine, unless they are competent to by a bare machine and install XP or linux. So, I have a new laptop, Intel 2 core 1.8ghz, 2gb RAM and 120Gb HDD, got it last tuesday to experiment. so far have installed office 2000, AVG free, AdAware spyware, quicken 98, copernic browser, skype, adobe reader 8, psp 7, spamfighter and all are working fine from 1st installation. Webtime staggered about a bit till 3 reboot now seems stable, iPod a total disaster. There are some quite useful "gadgets" for the desktop, but not really necessary. Two big improvements found, windows will partition the HDD without hassle, and if you have a fast USB memory stick or SD card you can speed the machine virtual memory rather than write to HDD. So, as I progress will keep you posted. Nigel (alias keskom)

Caesar001
6th May 2007, 19:28
Dell will now sell you a machine with XP vice Vista.... and the word is a couple of other manufacturers are going to be doing the same.

keskom
8th May 2007, 21:06
Had 2 defeats, one my Cute FTP, wrong FTP initialiser that Vista does not support and a speed download, that took twice as long as windows installed, although recommende dby PCPlus. The photo bit does not or where does it get its dates from, sort. Photos of a trip taken in September 06 became new? after photos in early April 07. Vista simple answers do not answer its got a long way to go............ Nigel

keskom
9th May 2007, 22:50
Follow up, the Vista setup does not like the old "windsock" settings which have cut out "Cute FTP" and now "Webtime", both a ftp process. Its easy enough to inport old mails where they become a standalone directory, to export............... not back to outlook express anyway! Nigel

Jeffers
30th May 2007, 22:42
I've just splashed out and bought myself a Laptop, a very nice machine from Acer that came with Vista on it. I must say that my first impressions are very favourable. I've only had it a couple of days so far but it seems to be very easy to work with, and I've not had any problems at all.

King Ratt
30th May 2007, 23:14
I have purchased 3 Dell laptops over the past 4 months and all have been supplied with XP on request to Dell.
I was advised by quite a few people in the IT business to stick with XP until Version 2 Vista comes along.
These 3 computers are annotated as Vista capable.

Peter Dryden
18th June 2007, 00:00
Have been using the RTM business version of Vista for the past 6 weeks in my office and so far have not found any problems.
USB plug-in modems will work as long as you have a suitable driver for them.
I have a 6 year old Canon scanner which works happily using its XP driver.
Anyone who uses AOL does not deserve to run a modern operating system.
Will be buying the business version next week so will revert if any big problems found but I have to say that so far it is quicker, more stable and has a much better interface than XP.
Spike (Thumb)

Hi Spike,
Just reading your post what do you mean when you comment on using AOL, I use AOL, expensive I know but I have had not a bit of bother with it, compared with the horror storys I hear about the Cheaper ISP's.

Peter.