Google Picasa - what do you think of it?

Doug H
1st February 2007, 03:40
Davie: Thanks for the info and your opinion. Regarding XP and jpg collections, have you tried downloading PICASA from Microsoft? It's free and I have wonderful success with it, for improving pix but also for finding lots of pix in obscure folders in my PC that I'd forgotten about for years and sorting them all into a useful catalogue. Does anybody else have comments on PICASA?

benjidog
1st February 2007, 09:54
Doug,

That's a good question about Picasa so I am moving it to a new thread so we can keep opinions about it separate. I personally have not used it so will be interested in the experiences of others.

Regards,

Brian

Baltic Wal
1st February 2007, 12:15
I have been using it for 18 months and find it extremely useful. I can now move photo's between folders easily and sort them into alphabetic sequence. I now have over 100 'Company' folders to store the files in, can create a slide show and it can be used as a photo album. Can also create a screensaver folder. I don't use it for croping or cleaning or inproving photo's as it is restrivtive and I have 3 other software packages.

jazz606
I've use picasa for some time and I think it's great for scanning, basic editing and printing of photos and scans - far easier to use than anything else. It also finds all the pics and scans on your computer that you had forgotten.

Anyhow I in the proces of "up"grading to a mac don't know if picasa is still an option.

Gavin Gait
I've got Photoshop 7 which is fine for what I need. I'll have a look at Picasa tho see what its like.

Davie(Thumb)

Trevorw
1st February 2007, 17:12
Actually it's Google and not Microsoft. Very good though!

benjidog
1st February 2007, 19:52
Thanks Trevor - I have amended the title of the thread.

Brian

benjidog
1st February 2007, 22:40
I have installed this product and am very impressed with it. The download is simple and you can get it here: http://picasa.google.com/

The product is very simple to install and as soon as you have done so you let it get stuck in to finding images on your machine. And it is damned successful at doing so finding normal graphics files; graphics embedded in documents; graphics you never knew you had; and graphics you really didn't think were on your laptop and maybe shouldn't be! After scanning all my hard disks, assuming its database has not been secreted somewhere else, the whole Picasa folder is about 27Mb on my machine.

Picasa arranges the files in folders for you to access in a similar way to Windows Explorer but just containing graphics files. It also provides various facilities including slideshows which I haven't explored yet. I am not likely to use its graphic editing capabilties as I have better products for this but there are at least some basic editing functions that you might find useful.

This looks like another great free Google product to follow Google Earth and Google Desktop.

I recommend that you give it a try!

Regards,

Brian

Peter4447
1st February 2007, 22:58
Downloaded it today. Very impressed. Many thanks for the tip.
Peter4447(Thumb)

R58484956
3rd February 2007, 16:11
Have been using Picasa for at least a year maybe longer and have never had a problem and it does everything that I require of it.

K urgess
3rd February 2007, 20:47
I've had it in the background for a few months but hardly ever used it.

Did notice today that it wasn't set to find "GIFs". Either it loaded wrong when installed or that's the default. I haven't messed with the settings at all since installation.

benjidog
3rd February 2007, 21:04
Interesting observation Fubar.

I thought my installation was missing some gifs too. So I went to the configuration tools and saw it was set to gifs already - closed it and it decided to go away and do another search and found zillions of gifs! Sounds like that may be a buglet. But it certainly found them in the end.

Brian

Bearsie
4th February 2007, 00:37
I have used Picasa only shortly at work.
For the most part I like my Ulead Photo Impact,
it lets ma do a lot of things, the rest may just be familiarity.
I don't like change unless I have to change

Phill
4th February 2007, 00:44
I must admit for a free down load, its pretty good, the screen is clear, the basic editing tools are easy to handle, had a bash at the effects quite impressive, I think the ease of use of the straitening tool is second to none and I use paint shop pro and Adobe 7,

Have got to get used to the filing system?

Is there a catch????????????

Phill

marinero
5th February 2007, 12:19
I like the idea of using it to send pics in an e-mail. It also lets you upload your photos and send the address to family and friends for them to enjoy. Brian you mentioned Google Desktop Search. What does that do and do I need it? Your advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Leo(Thumb)

KenLin39
18th March 2007, 01:22
I downloaded Picasa and am a bit concerned, has it duplicated all my photos to its own files which is a lot, when I worked on a photo using Picasa like cut and remove colour it only did the one in Picasa and not in my file. Is this how it works. Ken.

Phill
18th March 2007, 09:50
Kenlin39,,,,,,, you need to actually save it, as like in word documents , top left hand corner of screen click file and then save.

Phill

KenLin39
18th March 2007, 13:09
Kenlin39,,,,,,, you need to actually save it, as like in word documents , top left hand corner of screen click file and then save.

Phill

Thanks Phill, if, say, I had 5000 photos in my files would these have been duplicated to picasa as it took ages to download , meaning do I now have 10,000 photos on my pc . Did I do wrong by save to disc instead of open/run. Cheers. Ken.

benjidog
18th March 2007, 22:08
Ken,

Picasa does not store your photos again - they stay where they are. It keeps pointers to them in a database which it uses when you are working with Picasa. This URL provides a bit more information: http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=11511&topic=1142

There are various tools in Picasa that you can use to manipulate images as you have found. When you do this, Picasa works on a temporary version of the file. If you like what you have produced you need to save it (wherever you wish to) using File-Save As from the menu. I recommend that you use a different filename (and or folder) to the original so that you still have the original version. If you do not save the file before closing Picasa the changes you made will be discarded.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Brian

KenLin39
19th March 2007, 01:18
Thanks for the advice Brian , have straightened and cropped couple of ship photos and they came out ok, nothing worse than seeing a ship and horizon going up or downhill, lol. Cheers. Ken.

calvin
3rd April 2007, 19:27
also try gimp its free

ruud
4th April 2007, 00:14
Ahoy,
When I started[a few years ago] I used Picasa as well, but with the huge amount of piccies I have, it takes a lot of time to get through my files,therefor now using Copernic Desktop Search 2[free download],is very fast and find all your images in a few seconds, just by typing a few words of the name of that piccies,also for music,etcetera,available in English-French-German-Spanish-Dutch.
http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/download.html (http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/download.html)

chris678
9th April 2007, 21:25
I've used Picasa for a while now, and it's easy to use, i think it's great! i've tried other photo editing software but have always gone back to Picasa, wouldn't use anything else now!
Chris.

gordon savage
22nd August 2009, 20:29
the best photo editing software l have ever used,. very pleased with it .no problems Gordon

CAPT.BOB
22nd August 2009, 21:26
Being a non "geek" I know nothing of how it works, but as an "Ancient Mariner"I find it great to use and ideal for simple editing of pics.
Bob

ray bloomfield
25th August 2009, 00:51
Had been having problems transferring pictures from my camera with windows photo gallery and decided to give Picasa a go, no hassle whatsoever but found loads of junk pics from all over the PC, Seems very good.

Bobbert
28th August 2009, 11:10
I used Picassa a few years ago, but found I was overwhelmed by the amount of images it threw up. I could give it another try and see if I could get it sorted out. I use Photofiltre and ACDC, because I like the cloning features in them to blot out things you want out of a pic. A friend of my wifes asked me to take some pics of her daughter and her some years ago, but it was difficult to get a good pic without other stuff being nearby ( like cars ), so used the clone feature to get rid of the cars and replace them with trees. instead !!

Jim McFaul
28th August 2009, 19:05
If you already have Photoshop and download Picasa which one takes command? Jim.

Bobbert
3rd September 2009, 10:01
An update for myself is that we have a "dead" external drive which has a firewire connection. Its just doesn't register when connected to the computer ( tried everything ), but when I tried Picasa again the other day, Lo and behold all the pics on that drive suddenly appeared !!
Very pleased :-)